Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
5 team playoff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

5 team playoff

Nov 1, 2018, 11:34 AM

I think the only other option to benefit the college football playoff would be to add an extra game for the fourth spot. Let 4 and 5 play to get in to the playoffs.

This does 2 things: 1) It settles some of the 4th vs 5th argument for the final team who gets in. 2) and I think most importantly, it gives an advantage to the #1 team. It allows the team who earned the #1 spot in the playoffs to face a team who has to play an extra game.

Our game vs Bama last year may have been different if they had to prepare for Ohio State two weeks before playing us.

I think this adds to the excitement of the playoff that people who want more teams are asking for without adding too many extra games for the student athletes and without watering down the whole playoff. The game can be played to open bowl season and get things going. This allows team an extra week to prepare after a conference championship and still gives 2 weeks to prepare for the next playoff game.

What's everybody's take?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 5 team playoff

Nov 1, 2018, 11:40 AM

I think it puts too much of a disadvantage to make a football team play an additional game. It is much more physical than basketball. I don't think there should be any play in or bye. Keep it at 4 or make it 8. I think 4 is fine as is.

Nov 1, 2018, 12:40 PM

4 is fine. The reason for my suggestion is that the #1 team has yet to win the CFP. If any changes were to be made, I think giving an advantage to the #1 team should be that change.

Dislike.

Nov 1, 2018, 11:42 AM

What about #6? What if the gap between 5 and 6 isn’t very large?

What if the gap between 3 and 4 isn’t big, but the gap between 4 and 5 is huge?

I like 4. More games is not good for the student athlete. We have had no problem finding the best team in the country since the CFP began, so why fix what isn’t broken?

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Dislike.

Nov 1, 2018, 12:43 PM

It's not broken. I think going to 6 or more is not about the gap between the last team in and first team but more about how far away you get from teams who can truly compete. My suggestion is not about 5 being just as competitive as 4. It is about giving an advantage to the team who has earned the number 1 spot.

I better argument against my suggestion would be that there may not be much difference between 1 & 2.

Again, this current model isn't broken. I am not for adding teams for the sake of adding teams. IF and only if changes need to be made, then I would suggest just adding 1.

Nov 1, 2018, 11:44 AM

There will always be an argument for the first or second team left out. If there were 100 teams, the 101st team would make the case that they should have been selected. March Madness is a perfect example.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's only true if you are picking the teams

Nov 1, 2018, 11:58 AM

if you make a rule that only the conference champs can play, then there is no argument.

put the burden on the conferences to chose who should be in.

pissy fans can argue with their AD's and commissioners.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I like this idea...each conference comes up with their

Nov 1, 2018, 12:06 PM

own rules and ultimately picks their representative. BUT then no weekly CFP show on Tuesday nights and less for the ESecPN talking heads to babble about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

now you are digging deep into more flaws

Nov 1, 2018, 12:10 PM

with college football. too much non-football influence.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nov 1, 2018, 11:54 AM

Really?

Then let's just make it 64 teams before we make it 65 and then 68 teams.

Geez!

Nov 1, 2018, 12:48 PM

How is creating a setup where #1 is rewarded by giving a disadvantage to #4 the same as creating a 64 team tournament?

If you can't see the difference then I can't help you.

My suggestion is very similar to the NFL model in that the team who play against #1 in each conference have to play a game first to get there.

FCS teams have been using a playoff format ...

that has worked perfectly fine for decades.

They pick the top 24 teams with the top 4 seeds getting a bye to the second round.

This is exactly what the FBS needs to do.

Higher seeds host the first round, second round, quarter final and semi final games. Rotate the championship games among the New Years Six bowls and let the teams that do not make the playoffs attend the other bowl games as a consolation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

careful , you are suggesting

Nov 1, 2018, 12:28 PM

the NCAA should control the playoffs

Re: FCS teams have been using a playoff format ...

Nov 1, 2018, 1:02 PM [ in reply to FCS teams have been using a playoff format ... ]

FCS teams don't take the same physical toll that FBS teams do week in week out. Ask any former player if getting hit by Furman's linebacker hurts as bad as getting hit by Alabama's

I don't think any1 will disagree with the differences

Nov 1, 2018, 1:10 PM

between furman and alabama.

however, that doesn't mean that the power 5 playoff people should completely ignore the NCAA's FCS playoff format. there are some things they could adopt.

Re: I don't think any1 will disagree with the differences

Nov 1, 2018, 1:16 PM

I think 4 is right. There will always be controversy with who is left out, no matter how many teams are in the playoff

not if you set real rules that don't rely on opinion

Nov 1, 2018, 3:10 PM

for instance... if there was a rule that said..

only the winners of conference championship games are elgible for consideration

then bama could not complain. Every1 would know the rule, if you lost too bad.

ND would never get in.. too bad.

pen state would have made it over OSU 2 yrs ago...too bad fo urban..

See no reason to reward the #1 team since the CFP committee

can use the "metrics" at their discretion. What we have now seems to be working until it doesn't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: See no reason to reward the #1 team since the CFP committee

Nov 1, 2018, 12:46 PM

Your approach means that you see no error in Bama getting to sit out of conference championship week last year to begin preparing and getting healthy for our game against them.

Adding a play in game prevents this type of situation for the team who earned the top spot.

8 team playoff better to start***

Nov 1, 2018, 11:57 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 5 team playoff- Its 4 and its fine that way

Nov 1, 2018, 12:10 PM

Reward excellence. Dont screw it up lie hoops with a bunch of extra games

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2018, 12:35 PM

Why do folks constantly talk about expanding the playoffs? We started with a natty game where the AP decided the participants. Since the AP is biased we went to the BCS system which used a more metric driven selection. We moved from there by letting the top four teams play to decide the champion. This is an excellent system as there are rarely more than 2-3 elite teams. Using the basketball tournament as an example, they take 67 teams in the tournament and there are still teams who whine about not getting in. No matter how many you take whomever is left out will cry about it so why not stay with the top four. This gives a 99% change of identifying the top team, keeps the schedule manageable for the players and makes the regular season count for something.

4 is perfect.***

Nov 1, 2018, 12:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only way you can add anymore games to a teams

Nov 1, 2018, 12:49 PM

playoff run is if you drop regular season games. That's the hold up at this point. They would have to redo scheduled opponents and would need to drop the season games by one or two games. Those group of 5 and smaller teams would lose a ton of money if they didn't play the power conference teams. This is where playoff expansions starts and stops. So if you expand it to 5 you might as well go to 8. Bc one team may have to play 3 playoff games. So you make them all play an extra with 8 but you'd have to account for those potential extra 3 by dropping conference title games and possibly two regular season games.

Re: the only way you can add anymore games to a teams

Nov 1, 2018, 12:57 PM

I can understand that argument. I do wonder how long the limit will be 15. When everybody only played 12 per year with an 11 game season and a bowl I'm guessing that people thought 13 or 14 was too many.

In my scenario a team could end up playing 16 games once every several years. I know that in the year it happens it would likely be a lot for that team but I'm sure that the folks in charge will soften on that at some point just like they have the other numbers that were deemed too many.

Nov 1, 2018, 1:13 PM

Go To 8 Teams:
5 Conference Champs (Automatic)
3 At Large (Best 3 Teams That Did Not Win A Conference Title
Group Of 5 Has Their Own Playoff - Same Scenario As Power 5

That gives 16 teams a shot at a Natty with only 1 additional game to play. Keeps a whole lot of teams and fan bases "into" the regular season. Everybody wins!

Nov 1, 2018, 1:52 PM

I'm not interested in giving more teams a chance to win a national championship. I think that waters down the playoff.

My setup is with the thought of giving an advantage to the #1 team. I do not want to add teams just for the sake of adding.

Everybody seems to think that going to 8 teams will make people play a tougher schedule but I think the exact opposite. If winning a conference guarantees a place then there is no reason to play tough out of conference. Also if the conference are already in for sure then the at large teams would not need to play tough schedules. They simply need to finish with a good record. There won't be 8 teams with less than 2 losses so no need to test yourself with strength of schedule.

No team should be rewarded

Nov 1, 2018, 4:10 PM

Based on subjectivity...and that's what is happening with only 4....or even 8 teams. There is absolutely nothing in the current format that can truly take comparatives into consideration because teams don't play one another.

And don't fall for the they 'beat ranked teams' c-rap, either. Teams are ranked subjectively...there is no other basis for even ranking until games have been played, but that's what happens...and the tone is set for the upcoming season. Oh, and there is no 'perfect' number, either, be it 4 or 8 or 128...there isn't.

Greed is why it's four...greed is why it isn't changing. Greed is why ND gets a 'wink and a nod' for doing absolutely nothing but play coast-to-coast games with long-standing rivals...most of who aren't any better than the Irish.

The only aspect of the CFP that's a plus is it replaces polls as the sole arbiter of who is the 'greatest' that season, using subjectivity to at least move closer to proving...something.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2018, 5:52 PM

Wouldn’t this be unfair to the #4/5 teams?

If it’s unfair for ND to get in without playing a 13th game in the conf champ game, why is it conversely fair for 2/5 playoff teams to have to play a 14th game before even starting the “playoff”.

Did you even think this through before posting? Haha

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic