Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I can not afford directv any longer...does anyone have
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

I can not afford directv any longer...does anyone have

May 10, 2017, 4:49 PM

amazon fire stick? How does it work? Thanks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can not afford directv any longer...does anyone have

May 10, 2017, 4:50 PM

plug it into your TV's HDMI port, install apps like amazon prime, sling, netflix. enjoy.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2017, 4:59 PM

I use Kodi/Exodus mostly bc it's free!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2017, 5:03 PM

agree, but that takes a techie nerd to set up on the fire stick.

May 10, 2017, 10:22 PM

I can promise that I'm very far from being either of those two, but I'm good at going to youtube and let those guru's tell me how to set it up. There is someone in youtube world that can tell you how to do anything with the Fire stick.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You may want to check out this thread from yesterday...

May 10, 2017, 4:53 PM

some good info in there.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=21535373

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Get cable.

May 10, 2017, 4:53 PM

I love it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

cable blows***

May 10, 2017, 4:55 PM

That actually sounds pretty good.***

May 10, 2017, 4:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Nobody cares***

May 10, 2017, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Get cable. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

As a former all star baseball player, I trust your judgment on sports.

May 10, 2017, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Get cable. ]

Do you find you have a good coverage on sports on this "regular cable" that you speak of? I'm sure that you like sports since you aren't the internet comedian of the year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^having mad ove affair with cable

May 10, 2017, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Get cable. ]

but fm is spot on. i also have cable, works beautifully. turn on tv and enjoy

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

May 10, 2017, 4:58 PM

I do, and I really like it, and haven't figure out the full function of it yet. I can tell you this, I can watch new released movies within the first week they have opened in Theaters!!!

you really like what? The fire stick??***

May 10, 2017, 5:04 PM

How does sling work? Is that a stick as well???***

May 10, 2017, 5:04 PM

Re: How does sling work? Is that a stick as well???***

May 10, 2017, 5:05 PM

it is an app you install on the fire stick.

oh thank you***

May 10, 2017, 5:05 PM

Re: oh thank you***

May 10, 2017, 5:06 PM

you need wifi set up in your house for all of this to work, assuming you have that.

yes freaking charter at 60 megs for 65.00...do i need 100?***

May 10, 2017, 5:26 PM

Re: yes freaking charter at 60 megs for 65.00...do i need 100?***

May 10, 2017, 5:29 PM

You shouldn't need 100 Mbps for streaming TV

60 works fine.***

May 10, 2017, 6:11 PM [ in reply to yes freaking charter at 60 megs for 65.00...do i need 100?*** ]

Re: yes freaking charter at 60 megs for 65.00...do i need 100?***

May 10, 2017, 10:24 PM [ in reply to yes freaking charter at 60 megs for 65.00...do i need 100?*** ]

no

For those of you in the central part of SC, & in Mid-Carolina

May 10, 2017, 10:37 PM

Electric Co-op service area, they are installing fiber over their entire service area for $50 per month for 100 mg & $80 for 1 Gb. They are going to put a hurting on TWC-Spectrum, ATT & others in the area. You need to sign up now if you are interested, go to carolinaconnect.com. They are hoping to have it available to most of their 50,000 customers by the end of the year, then are going into Newberry & Aiken co-op areas next year.

For any of the serious gamers out there, that is 1 Gig, up & down for $80. That is a helluva deal!

Message was edited by: longtallsam®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, that is a deal. I'm stuck with

May 11, 2017, 8:27 AM

Time Warner (now Spectrum) and I believe they own the infrastructure. I can't get any other highspeed except for DSL and it can only go 10Mb.

I'm paying $80/month for 30Mb, so that fiber deal is phenomenal. I hope a company does that around here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So I need a house?***

May 10, 2017, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Re: oh thank you*** ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get the firebox instead of the firestick.

May 10, 2017, 5:09 PM

Trust me it's worth the extra $50. With the box you can use an Ethernet cable. I did this and it has never buffered.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

So is it 50.00 a month or is that a one time charge?

May 10, 2017, 5:19 PM

thanks

Re: So is it 50.00 a month or is that a one time charge?

May 10, 2017, 5:34 PM

The fire stick or the fire box are both bought for a one time charge. You download apps that you have monthly subscriptions to (sling, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc...) that you watch on your TV. It's still going to cost money, so you need to figure out what you want to spend and subscribe to different services. As mentioned earlier in this thread there are some less than legal ways to get stuff for free, but in general you need subscriptions.

Re: Get the firebox instead of the firestick.

May 10, 2017, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Get the firebox instead of the firestick. ]

If you're going to watch a movie on fire stick, don't except just any provider. Start the search again, and when it gets down to like 25 providers, click the back button, and do it until you get HD or 1080P, no more buffering. It may take a few times, but you will get one of the two providers!!! Everything I watch is in HD or 1080P, everything.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Why not supplement income with baseball coach skills?

May 10, 2017, 5:22 PM

Use TNet postings for references. Seems like a guarantee money making opportunity.

As a side, we use Roku with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and then switch between either Sling or Hulu. Benefit is that no long term commitments. Plus plug it into the TV, connect to Wifi and off you go.

We had a problem with Sling buffering if someone else in house streamed video (me watch Clemson highlights on youtube while wife watches some garbage on TV). Good luck.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dish TV. I love it. 90 a month for 2 years. ....

May 10, 2017, 6:05 PM

Have had it one year and great deal and picture and service

$90 a month is a great deal? Everytime my DirecTV hits $80,,

May 10, 2017, 10:15 PM

I call them up and tell them to get the price down, or I am switching to Dish Network. Have not failed yet, to get it back down in the $60-70 range. I currently have all the sports channels, HD with DVR for $72, tax and all. I don't have and don't want any of the premium movie channels. My wife watches all her movies and shows on Netflix.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2017, 6:29 PM

I have Roku3....love it, it works great. Picture quality is astounding.

May 10, 2017, 6:43 PM

I have had DIRECTV for 15 years and LOVE it.
When they start going up on my bill I call and they keep me were I want to be.
I have 4 genies and the top package for about 120 a month.
You can't beat it

May 10, 2017, 8:27 PM

I haven't had DirecTV for years but I remember hating it. Every time there was a bad storm I'd lose service. There was a snow storm years ago (maybe 7 or 8 now) where the snow was particularly wet and it was sticking to the dish. I was trying to watch a Clemson game so I was outside throwing snowballs at the dish on my roof trying to clear it.

May 10, 2017, 8:33 PM

They have heaters on the dishes now .
I watched TV all the way through Matthew a few months ago.
Well until the power went out but when it came back on TV was fine.
My neighbors who have TWC didn't have service for a week

That's why you don't put the dish on your roof. Mine is on

May 10, 2017, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: I can not afford directv any longer...does anyone have ]

the back side of the house, six feet off the ground. Have only had to wipe it off once in 12 years.

May 10, 2017, 7:28 PM

I have a fire stick.

The 4K box cost me like $80-$100 (non4K stick is $40), and the year membership (includes free 2 day shipping on a lot of items) cost around $100. Then I pay $35 a month for PlayStation VUE. There are three packages $25, $35, and $45. The $35 package I have contains all the sports channels I desire; WatchESPN and FOXGo Apps, as well. PlayStation VUE is way better than SlingTV.

May 10, 2017, 7:41 PM

If you have a Windows OS laptop with HDMI then just setup Kodi on it.
Watch a bunch of YouTube videos on the setup.
Someone else said that Exodus is best and IMO it is hands down the easiest channel to use since it auto searches available streams until it finds one that works.
I've put Kodi on a few Android tablets but for some reason after a couple of weeks the app takes a dump and has to be re-installed.
YRMV

May 10, 2017, 8:44 PM

call in to DirecTV, cancel your service, call back the next day and get the new customer packages

You don't have to actually cancel. Call and seriously threat

May 10, 2017, 10:25 PM

en to cancel and switch to Dish. I just got $30 knocked off mine, without hardly giving up anything.

I just watch the grandkids

May 10, 2017, 10:04 PM

what a show they are! :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic