Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jimbo and Spurrier. Do you agree?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Jimbo and Spurrier. Do you agree?

Nov 1, 2018, 6:37 PM

Spurrier was successful at USux in that he came along at the right time. Rock Hil/South Point was loaded with talent. Add to that the “bag man” there. Throw in Lattimore who was always a USux lean, and you have instant really good talent. Therefore he rested on his laurels and got slack on recruiting (which he did not like to do) and adopted the “Field of Dreams” attitude...”If you build it, they will come.”

Jimbo obviously had problems with his administration in regards to spending money to keep up with what he saw was happening at other schools. He got frustrated, and I really think he knew he had to get out of there. Again, though for a different reason, he also slacked off on recruiting.

Both situations have come to fruition. The succeeding coaches inherited less talent than what they anticipated.

Not that I feel sorry for what has happened to either program, and, to be honest, I love it, but I think we are so fortunate in that we have a coach that will never let up. Alabama is convinced that, once Saben retires, all they have to do is snap their fingers and Dabo will be there. Some Clemson fans say that when Alabama approaches Dabo, we need to dig deep in our pockets to keep him. Really? Dabo is set for life! When you get to his financial security, what’s the difference between $4mm a year vs $7mm? His kids consider Clemson their hometown. No reason to uproot the whole family.

Sorry for the long rant.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurrier was successful at USuC because the SEC East

Nov 1, 2018, 6:42 PM

was down (and they only won it once), Clemson had the coaching turnover which helped them in recruiting, and the Rock Hill bag-man helped them out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Spurrier was successful at USuC because

Nov 1, 2018, 7:02 PM

Things fell into place for them midway through his time there. He was also a good game day coach when he was focused. Things began to fall out of place during their 11 win seasons (multiple reasons) and by 2015 they were a train wreck.

He basically had his version of the Triplets, in Clowney,

Nov 1, 2018, 7:00 PM

Lattimore, and Shaw. If not for the coaching change at Clemson, he wouldn't have had Holloman or Gilmore, either.

But, even that perfect storm of talent only got him one division title, an epic arsewhipping in his only SECheat Championship game while at USuck, and an eventual slinking out of town in the middle of a season with his tail firmly tucked between his legs. And, as I said awhile back, that is the PINOCHLE OF THEIR EXHOLEANTS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree of Fisher...

Nov 1, 2018, 7:26 PM

You hit nail on head w Spurrier. Had we not made a coaching change he misses a few of those from Rock Hill. If I remember right, Gilmore was committed to us before the change.

Fisher recruited at a high level up until he decided half way through 2017 he didn’t want to be there because the Administration wasn’t giving him what he wanted. Heck, it’s a little similar to what happened with Ford at Clemson.

Fisher also held onto some coaches too long that obviously weren’t developing the talent they brought in. Tricket being one. Make no mistake that’s Fisher can recruit. He will succeed at TAMu.

Taggart inherited good talent. One would argue that he just doesn’t have players for his system and those guys obviously have quit on him. Time will tell if he’s the great recruiter everyone thinks. It doesn’t take much to get talent into FSU. Question is can you develop it once you get it?

Dabo and Saban have shown how develop talent.

Re: Jimbo and Spurrier. Do you agree?

Nov 1, 2018, 7:45 PM

I disagree with the premise that Jimbo slacked off in recruiting. Even after the attrition caused by his departure early last December, this year's FSU team is still the 5th most talented team in the country according to 24/7. Our most recent class is the first time in Swinney's tenure that our class was ranked higher than FSU.

Also, Spurrier's last couple recruiting classes were right in line with his average classes over his first several years. He had one or two that were ranked much higher, but overall he was typically around 20th nationally. They didn't hit on any superstars in his last 1 or 2 years, but good coaching can turn a low 4 star into a superstar.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jimbo and Spurrier. Do you agree?

Nov 1, 2018, 7:49 PM

Ok, fellow tigers. We all harbor disdain for Spurrier. He was a loud mouth. He beat us more than we liked. But he was a great coach. He won the ACC championship AT DUKE. Give the a$$hole some credit.

I don’t care about Jimbo. We beat him. He will win at A&M.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic