Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is this the year the CFP goes from 4 teams to 8 teams ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Is this the year the CFP goes from 4 teams to 8 teams ?

Oct 14, 2019, 8:23 AM

Listen now, I'm not worried about being left out.

We will be in

SEC will have 2 in

Big 12 will get in

Oklahoma will be in

Notre Dame will be in - they have an EASY path to the CFP with 1 loss they will be in

So Is this the year that catalyzes an 8 team playoff ???????? you know it's coming ..... just think of the ratings...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

ND will be nowhere near the CFP. If Clemson, Ohio St, and

Oct 14, 2019, 8:36 AM

OK go undefeated, they will get in, along with the SEC champ. Even if UGA runs the table they won't beat Bama or LSU in the SEC CG so they're out. The biggest issue I see right now is if Bama and LSU both run the table except for one of those losing to the other, we're going to have controversy. One of those needs to lose twice for ESPN and Finebaum to shut their mouths about 2 SEC teams.

Re: ND will be nowhere near the CFP. If Clemson, Ohio St, and

Oct 14, 2019, 8:41 AM

By what you’re saying, Bama and LSU are 12-0 and 11-1 either way, and the 12-0 team would be 13-0 after the SEC championship game, 11-1 gets left out. The committee will always put the undefeated power 5 team in and they would leap at four undefeated teams comprising the playoff.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I said. Basically, only an

Oct 14, 2019, 8:52 AM

undefeated LSU or Bama gets in, if Clemson, OH St, and OK also go undefeated. Especially if LSU or Bama look like crap at some point. Bama's D is highly suspect and honestly, I'm not all that sold on LSU's D, yet. They made FL look like a much better team than they are.

As far an 8 team playoff, don't hold your breath. There are 8 possible teams that could compete this year, but every other year that hasn't been the case. It's the top 4/5 and the ROY. And there's a LOT of football to be played still this season. The cream will rise to the top as it normally does, unless you're Alabama getting in without even playing for the SEC championship like they did a couple years ago. I'm still bent about that. They had to play one less game than everybody else and it mattered.

Re: Is this the year the CFP goes from 4 teams to 8 teams ?

Oct 14, 2019, 8:42 AM

2025 after the TV contract is done. Then they can bid a new TV contract and make more money.

Frankly, I favored an eight-team format

Oct 14, 2019, 8:48 AM

from the beginning.

That's because I forsaw a problem with five P5's plus a few non-P5 teams with only four slots, meaning someone's going to be left out.

Now, the raging controversy centers on having more than one team from one P5 selected, and the problem gets dicier.

My prediction: a six or eight-team playoff in five years or less.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2019, 8:48 AM

I think your reasoning is a great example to expand the college playoff to six teams when the current TV contract expires. Three would play Six and Four would play Five with One and Two getting a bye.

If they do expand the playoffs I would rather they do it incrementally by going to six instead of jumping all the way to eight. Run with six for the next contract cycle and see how that goes and make decisions when the time comes to expand further if it seems appropriate.

Oct 14, 2019, 8:50 PM

A Six team playoff would introduce problems that should be avoided. A six-team playoff would require teams 3 thru 6 to play an additional game, with the possibility of injuries and fatigue. This would give a distinct advantage to the two teams with a bye. If there is an increase in teams in the future, an 8 team playoff would appear to be the logical number.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2019, 8:49 AM

LOL. Right. That question has been asked at this point in the season last four years. It's still at 4.

COACHES poll has Notre Dame #8 - if ND has 1 Loss they will

Oct 14, 2019, 9:14 AM

be in the CFP if there is only 3 unbeaten teams ----- my prediction..... maybe worthless ....

I think ND will move up as teams loss - they will be sitting at #4 year end with 1 loss.

I think there will be some good teams with 1 loss that don't make it in the CFP and the TEARS will ROLLLLL

null

ND lost to UGA who lost to unranked SCar. Penn St and

Oct 14, 2019, 9:46 AM

Wisc are both better than ND, and FL might be too. ND looked good against UGA but we now know that was fools gold. ND looked very average against SoCal this weekend, and SoCal blows. ESPN might talk about ND but it won't matter to the committee I don't believe.

that's why I have them as a 1 loss team that likely climbs

Oct 14, 2019, 10:47 AM

the polls and makes the 4th spot in the CFP

You know the media loves them - if they are 1 loss at year end - they are likely in .........

null

these media and coaches polls mean NOTHING to the people

Oct 14, 2019, 11:19 AM [ in reply to COACHES poll has Notre Dame #8 - if ND has 1 Loss they will ]

selecting teams for the playoffs

true - coaches poll reflects more common sense- ND 1 loss

Oct 14, 2019, 1:19 PM

will likely be the talking point - that's what the entire point is about ....

I like ND with 1 loss getting in a PI$$$ING off an SEC team to get left out.

null

Oct 14, 2019, 9:14 AM

I don’t believe they will expand past 15 games in the current environment so if you add playoff games then one regular season game will be eliminated. The other option is to eliminate conf Championship games.

Personally four is enough as there are never eight elite teams...last year only one elite team

nope***

Oct 14, 2019, 9:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Television ratings have nothing to do with who the best...

Oct 14, 2019, 9:53 AM

team in college football is.

HTH.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

No. Carry on.***

Oct 14, 2019, 11:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2019, 12:25 PM

I’m in favor of 6 teams and no more. Any more than 8 completely dilutes the regular season and the importance of conference championships. I also think the top 2 teams should be rewarded and not penalized.

I say give the top 2 teams a bye and let the next four battle it out for a chance to play them.

A 5 team P5 play-off

Oct 14, 2019, 12:36 PM

Every conference champion is in.

First (4 vs 5) game is 10 days after conference championship game.

The winner of the play-off is the Power Five champion.

The 4th/5th seed would actually have an advantage because they don't have as long of a layout between conference championship weekend and new years.

ND won't make it in with a loss until they play a CCG***

Oct 14, 2019, 1:04 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2019, 2:23 PM

If and only if Alabama gets left out.

Ding !!!!!! Fries are done !!! we have a winner !!

Oct 14, 2019, 7:13 PM

!!!!!

null

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic