Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Die hard basketball fans: I'm sorry nobody told you this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 835

Die hard basketball fans: I'm sorry nobody told you this

Mar 15, 2017, 8:44 AM

before, but we don't basketball well at Clemson.
Never have, never will.

If you think this is wrong, consider 0-58 all time @ UNC. This is a record built over many decades, by many coaches and many teams. This record reveals our true nature.

But, but, Rick Barnes you say?
Yeah, well he left as soon as he could, and for good reason - Clemson does not basketball well, and he knew it could not be sustained here.

If you think one year in late December that the hoops team looks pretty good and we might be a contender in the conference that year? You are wrong.

If you think Clemson AD should spend a bunch of time or money on basketball - wrong. OK, spend a little time and a little money, but not if it takes away from football or baseball... or soccer or golf, or track or rowing or softball.

If you think just because Clemson won a natty in football then we can win one in hoops? LOL so so so wrong.

Here's a secret: If you want to pull for a winning basketball team, pick someone else. It's OK. You can do it. We don't actually care, because we don't actually care about basketball.

Pull for Duke or Carolina, or if that hits too close to home then pull for Kentucky or some other blue blood. Or if you can't stomach that go with an NBA team. But for the good of everyone involved, don't get worked up about Clemson basketball.

There is something in these hills - and it is not basketball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

Re: Die hard basketball fans: I'm sorry nobody told you this

Mar 15, 2017, 8:47 AM

"There is something in these hills - and it is not basketball."

I laughed....a lot.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, beautiful ending***

Mar 15, 2017, 8:54 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the words of Datboy Swinney,

Mar 15, 2017, 8:53 AM

"Why not us?"

Well, the answer obvious is...

Mar 15, 2017, 9:41 AM

just, because...

That last line broseph...

Mar 15, 2017, 8:53 AM

Everybody knows LJ 3.0's sole purpose is to provide a place for porta-potties during football games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I have to disagree here.

Mar 15, 2017, 8:57 AM

If you're a Clemson fan, you're a fan of all Clemson sports, even rowing. Does that mean you have to keep up with how well we row row rowed our boat? No it does not. However, if there are issues going on in any program that are keeping us from being somewhat successful, they need to be addressed and handled.

I'm 42 years old, I know we're not a basketball school BUT if we're going to spend $63 million to renovate our basketball arena, why can't we spend $3.5 million to eliminate what seems to be the biggest problem? I don't expect us to be Kansas, Kentucky, UNC or Duke BUT I do expect us to have a winning record in conference and make the postseason 4 out of every 5 years with at least 2 of those being NCAA tournament berths. I expect us to have a coach that givesadamn and doesn't stand in the coaches box with his arms crossed waiting for the game to be over. Get fired up, get a T when you think it will light a fire under your players. Get pissed off every now and then and take off your jacket. I don't think it's too much to want a coach with a little passion and fire.

But I did give you a TU for that last line.

Mar 15, 2017, 8:58 AM

MMLOL

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Brad. I think we

Mar 15, 2017, 9:06 AM

should be competitive in hoops and not embarrassingly bad. Last night was embarrassingly bad. But hey at least we didn't choke in the big dance!

#ACCFTS

What would you say average attendance at a game was this

Mar 15, 2017, 9:26 AM [ in reply to I have to disagree here. ]

year? 30% full or so? Season tickets aren't cheap, I'd be shocked if they had a 50% renewal rate from this year. They've got a brand new $60 mil arena that they can't even get half full, I don't know how they can afford not to make a move.

Unless we are going to turn Littlejohn into a jousting arena, that I am OK with.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

None of the games I attended were at capacity. I'd say every

Mar 15, 2017, 9:29 AM

time I went it was 60-70% full. By the end of the season it was right around 30% which is embarrassing.

It'll be even more empty next year. No idea how they're

Mar 15, 2017, 9:34 AM

going to generate any type of excitement for this team without some major changes. I still don't think they'll fire him though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct me if I'm wrong,

Mar 15, 2017, 10:10 AM [ in reply to What would you say average attendance at a game was this ]

but didn't they lower the amount of seats when they remodeled? So 70% full in 3.0 would probably be around what.... 50% in 2.0?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I don't think they took that many seats away, but yes there

Mar 15, 2017, 10:22 AM

is less seating in the new one. Quite frankly, I wasn't overly impressed with the remodel.

Re: I have to disagree here. I agree with you!

Mar 15, 2017, 1:59 PM [ in reply to I have to disagree here. ]

With Cliff Ellis, we were very close to getting our first win. Let me refresh y'alls minds about this. Game was back and forth and at the moment tied in Chapel Hill. Jr reid was trapped its the back court and about to get a 5 second call. He begins swinging those elbows and hit a Clemson defender square in the face ( you would think foul on reid and that would be correct), however the tarheels refs called a foul on the tiger defender. Coach Ellis can't believe it and gets a technical. The refs and unc win by the 6 they stole in the that sequence. Unbelievable!

dear sckkerkrzy

Mar 15, 2017, 9:02 AM

YOU JUST GOT EFFED IN THE A!

NOPE, I'm a diehard Clemson fan through and through.***

Mar 15, 2017, 9:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Me too :(***

Mar 15, 2017, 9:17 AM

Me too. Baseball won last night!***

Mar 15, 2017, 9:19 AM

#ACCFTS

I don't think anybody is asking for Duke or UNC type success

Mar 15, 2017, 9:05 AM

But dear god, I don't think it's too much to ask for an NCAA tourney birth once every couple of years or so. And even if we do only make the NIT from time to time, that is OK too, but don't #### all over the floor against a team like Oakland. In the first round. At home.

Brownell could have squashed some of the angst with a decent NIT run this year. I don't know if he's lost the team, but it kind of seems that way.

If you think our bball history is bad, look at Northwestern

Mar 15, 2017, 9:11 AM

They made the NCAA tourney this year...for the first time...EVER. Incredible...

Stephen Colbert did a bit for CBS about them hopefully

Mar 15, 2017, 9:21 AM

making it and it was hilarious. They showed it Sunday at halftime of some game I watched.

TDIL (that day I learned) that Colbert went to NW.

I went to Northwestern too.

Mar 15, 2017, 9:33 AM

But I do not remember him from high school at all.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HOLD UP! So you're telling me that Northwestern HIGH SCHOOL

Mar 15, 2017, 9:37 AM

made the NCAA tournament and we didn't.

HOLYSHIT WHAT IS DRAD WAITING ON? FIRE HIM NOW!

NONE OF THAT NIT FECES FOR THE MIGHTY TROJANS, MY FRIEND.***

Mar 15, 2017, 9:46 AM

Never knew that. One of my mostest glorious moments

Mar 15, 2017, 9:38 AM [ in reply to I went to Northwestern too. ]

of athletic triumph was when our tennis team was in the middle of a rain delay against NW, I played pick-up basketball against Jeff Burris in the NW gym, and recorded exactly one monsterous thunder-block on him when he tried to take it to the hoop. Gave him the patented finger wag too afterwards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You probably should have picked up the phone and called him

Mar 15, 2017, 10:22 AM

to further rub it in when you later signed that huge contract with the National Tennis League.

He knows what a failure he turned out to be

Mar 15, 2017, 10:30 AM

doesn't need me rubbing it in...that would be Un-Christian.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jeff is actually a really good guy.

Mar 15, 2017, 11:41 AM

My last coaching gig in youth football, we couldn't get enough kids to sign up to field a team so we merged with another school. Jeff's brother Pat was co-defensive coordinator with me. Pat is a great guy too. Wanted to go to Clemson but didn't qualify so he went JUCO and then ended up at Arkansas. His son just signed as a 2/3 star DB with the coots last year.

I made the ##### with a girl that went to Northwestern...

Mar 15, 2017, 5:00 PM [ in reply to I went to Northwestern too. ]

unfortunately, I DO remember Stephen Colbert being there

FAIL...We went to the tournament 4 years straight...

Mar 15, 2017, 9:31 AM

The 3 years before Brad and his first year. I stopped reading after you were wrong so quickly out the gate.

Yeah but OP had horrible halitosis.***

Mar 15, 2017, 9:32 AM

Very true. He also had no chin. ******

Mar 15, 2017, 9:37 AM

Rick Barnes had halitosis as well. He did take us to a..

Mar 15, 2017, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Yeah but OP had horrible halitosis.*** ]

a sweet 16 and 3 straight tournaments though. He had us ranked 5th in the nation once too. It can be done, halitosis or not Anyway, I am going to go brush my teeth.

I don't recall RB's halitosis as much as OP's. I stopped

Mar 15, 2017, 9:48 AM

to talk to OP once at the Blue Heron, and the man's breath almost knocked me over.

Haha...He really looks like he would have bad breath.*****

Mar 15, 2017, 10:08 AM

Remind me again how we did in those 4 tourneys?***

Mar 15, 2017, 9:37 AM [ in reply to FAIL...We went to the tournament 4 years straight... ]

#ACCFTS

Who cares? We went to them. Huge upgrade.******

Mar 15, 2017, 9:38 AM

But we weren't satisfied with just getting there, so we ran

Mar 15, 2017, 10:02 AM

OP off and hired Brownell. And here we are.

#ACCFTS

We never ran OP off. He left on his own*****

Mar 15, 2017, 10:09 AM

You are correct, my mistake. There was grumbling about

Mar 15, 2017, 10:17 AM

his NCAA record but he left on his own.

I think OP's level of success at Clemson is about our ceiling for basketball.

#ACCFTS

He made a good choice, as witnessed by the dynasty he

Mar 15, 2017, 10:23 AM

built at Marquette.

It was Depaul and he was vastly overpaid. Great call if..

Mar 15, 2017, 10:29 AM

money was the major driving force. They paid more than we would ever pay him. He was making 1.6 million and they paid him 2.2 million which was a lot for that time. They gave him 7 years too. The guy is at retirement age now.

oops, that's right.***

Mar 15, 2017, 10:30 AM

Barnes took us to a sweet 16. I think our ceiling is...

Mar 15, 2017, 10:23 AM [ in reply to You are correct, my mistake. There was grumbling about ]

OP and Barnes' combined results. On a great year we can make the sweet 16. We may even sneak into an elite 8 and lose. The point is, who knows really what we can do though? We absolutely know we can do way better than where we are now. Nobody though the Florida Gators were going to be so awesome until Billy D came to town. Of course, I am not ever expecting anything like that, but it shows the difference one man can make. CBB is not that guy. We may never get that guy, but we know CBB isn't that person.

Cliff Ellis and Tate George say howdy***

Mar 15, 2017, 1:10 PM [ in reply to You are correct, my mistake. There was grumbling about ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope Tate George rots in heck fire forever.

Mar 15, 2017, 2:27 PM

Mixaphorically speaking, of course.

I disagree

Mar 15, 2017, 9:53 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Whelp

Mar 15, 2017, 10:21 AM

Replies: 48
| visibility 835
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic