Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Clemson-FSU recruiting battles: Can the Tigers bridge the gap?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Clemson-FSU recruiting battles: Can the Tigers bridge the gap?

Oct 23, 2013, 2:12 PM

Clemson-FSU recruiting battles: Can the Tigers bridge the gap?

In the first part of two part series, TigerNet takes a look at how Clemson's recruiting for the 2014 cycle stands up against its biggest division rival, the Florida St. Seminoles. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree we need to keep the upward trend for recruiting

Oct 23, 2013, 2:32 PM

But it seems a waste of time to think we can either routinely or even more than once beat out FSU for class rankings. It's hard to overcome history in that way.

But then again, I'm no fan of dwelling on the minute details of ratings and class rankings. We just need to do a better job of getting really good talent at the key positions we need to fill. Seems the coaches have figured out we need to get the next level in linemen. We may never out-recruit FSU or certain SEC teams in that area, but we can certainly keep finding better and better kids to develop into top players.

My other post on the rankings/ratings today for anyone who is interested. I think there is not much correlation between being "better" in class rankings and winning. Sure, the teams in the top 5 or 10 will probably always do better than the ones below 20 or 30. But the difference between 6 and 10? It doesn't matter in my book.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=1286847&messageID=14532481#14532481

Re: I agree we need to keep the upward trend for recruiting

Oct 23, 2013, 3:07 PM

FSU sells itself with it's history of national championships?? Give me a break! They have 2, CU has 1. Yes, theirs are a tad more recent, but their performance over the last decade has actually been more of a disappointment than CU's when you consider how much supposed "top shelf talent" they have squandered.

i think we lose sammy, but no way bryant leaves early

Oct 23, 2013, 2:44 PM

for nfl

I'm not convinced we loose Sammy, but

Oct 23, 2013, 2:57 PM

I'd probably put higher odds on him leaving than staying.

I agree that Bryant hasn't shown enough to be very attractive. You only go early if you think it improves your chances of going high(er) in the rounds to me.

Re: I'm not convinced we loose Sammy, but

Oct 23, 2013, 3:30 PM

Sammy is definately gone after this year. Without Boyd, I don't see him thinking he can raise his stock next year. Byrant should be worried about keeping his starting job this year rather than going pro. Of course I said the same thing about Jamie Harper a few years ago and he shocked me when he left early.

Didn't work out so well for Harper

Oct 23, 2013, 3:37 PM

He went way down in the draft (4th or 5th?)and doesn't have a home right now I don't think.

If same continues to have some big games, the odds get better he will go. Especially if he has a big bowl game against a significant opponent. But you never know. The odds were on Boyd going last year. Some on this board would argue he should have......not me, but some.

He made some pretty good money

Oct 23, 2013, 3:55 PM

and finished his degree in the offseason, had a sick golf cart he drove to class in the spring.

Please read my post on the Tiger Board if you think...

Oct 23, 2013, 3:04 PM

you should "pull" "cheer" or "root" for FSU to win out and go to the National Championship! Click below...

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1286545&tstart=80

It is probably not in MB best interest to leave early

Oct 23, 2013, 3:47 PM

He will be the #1 guy in a pass happy offense if he chooses to stay. There are several receivers that will go ahead of him this year.

Is this suppose to help us feel better?***

Oct 23, 2013, 5:29 PM

Re: Front Page Story: Clemson-FSU recruiting battles: Can the Tigers bridge the gap?

Oct 23, 2013, 5:30 PM

For those who follow the stars....

I think this article is spot on regarding our recruiting. Per Rivals only 10 schools have had top 20 recruiting classes every year from 2010-2013. Summing the class rankings over those years yields this: Ala-8, Fla-21, USC-26, FSU-28, Aub-29, LSU-36, Ga-44, ND-47, Ok-47, and Clemson-55.

The good news...we are on that list. The bad news...we are at the bottom of it. Ala is still in a world of it's own with a #5 class and 3 consecutive #1's (5+1+1+1=8), but otherwise we are closing the gap - we just aren't quite there yet.

Notice the absence of Oregon but inclusion of ND?

Oct 23, 2013, 7:06 PM

Another reason why just the somewhat arbitrary ratings of players and class rankings doesn't exactly predict performance in my opinion. Having a higher class ranking or average over time is a good thing to strive for. But it is far, far from being the most important or second more important thing to ensure success.

And then there's Auburn. Having top classes didn't fix their problems either.

Re: Notice the absence of Oregon but inclusion of ND?

Oct 23, 2013, 7:30 PM

For the same time span Oregon was just below us, tied w/ Tenn @ 60. Dirtpeckers came in at 71, though they were coming off some very good years before this span - I hope their slide continues.

It's comforting to know that we are in the company of the best recruiters but the fact that Oreg and Tenn are about as far apart as you could get with equivalent recruiting rankings shows there are many, many more factors involved. Consider the trains wrecks of USC and Fla, and the injuries now at GA.

"I'll take a good offensive line over a great quarterback any day of the week" - Danny Ford

"When you throw the ball three things can happen, and two of them are bad" - Danny Ford

"It's all about the kids on the field. These athletes don't just drop out of the sky and land in Norman. We find them and bring them here."- Barry Switzer

"You want to beat me son? Recruit better." Bobby Bowden

Re: Notice the absence of Oregon but inclusion of ND?

Oct 23, 2013, 7:43 PM

But it is actually pretty easy to figure out why a down in the dumps program like Tennessee and a high flying program like Oregon would have similar rankings - and even be just outside this list. For Tennessee, it does nothing to account for attrition. Tennessee is an attractive high profile football program that just so happens to be going through an incredibly high level of coaching turmoil. They are bringing in high quality athletes, just not the cream of the crop, and a lot of those athletes are moving elsewhere. These rankings generally favor larger recruiting classes and Tennessee has been able to have artificially larger classes because they are also losing players.

Oregon on the hand pretty much - at least under Chip Kelly - only recruits one side of the ball. A team of solid blue chip offensive players and whatever we can find for defense. Pretty impressive that he breaks into these rankings when he really only recruits half a team by recruiting evaluation standards.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

You may be right about both programs. It just goes to my

Oct 23, 2013, 8:09 PM

point that recruiting class rankings doesn't stand by itself as a real predictor of performance. So many other factors like coaching, injury, etc. complicate it. Some programs do consistently better with lesser rankings. You just have to be "pretty good" overall from year to year in recruiting to make sure you have the talent to develop. You have to be smart at filling the right voids. Then you have to be able to coach the team to be winners.

Its all about the LOS. If you cant compete in O-Line and....

Oct 23, 2013, 6:50 PM

D-Line recruiting, you will remain middle of the pack.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its all about the LOS. If you cant compete in O-Line and....

Oct 24, 2013, 1:00 AM

> D-Line recruiting, you will remain middle of the pack.

This is the absolute truth that the Tiger Coaching staff has to realize. If you lose the LOS battle, then it doesn't matter how good your skill players are, they can't do their job. At a minimum, you have to have the personnel in the trenches that can at a minimum hold their own against top quality trench players other other side of the ball.

FSU tends to land some studs on signing day

Oct 23, 2013, 7:55 PM

Guessing this list will look vastly different after signing day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FSU tends to land some studs on signing day

Oct 23, 2013, 8:24 PM

FSU has hovered in the 6-10 range per class since Dabo's been here. The exception is 2011 when these skill guys arrived in Tallahassee (not to mention the beef they hauled in for the lines, too)

K.Benjamin
D.Freeman
R.Greene
N.O'Leary
J.Wilder
K.Williams

That was a #2 class - chock full of names I'm already tired of but will have to hear about for another year or two, along with the all mighty Jameis Christ.

Bingo. FSU holds out for best of best and kill it later.***

Oct 25, 2013, 11:15 AM [ in reply to FSU tends to land some studs on signing day ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Nothing new, there's been a gap for over 20 years.***

Oct 23, 2013, 8:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Part 2 will be very short with almost all FSU advantages

Oct 23, 2013, 8:22 PM

since we've signed very few defensive recruits.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic