Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Didn't realize we were close to landing Tim Tebow
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Didn't realize we were close to landing Tim Tebow

Aug 7, 2016, 10:29 AM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17210230/dabo-swinney-butch-jones-more-coaches-recruits-tim-tebow-jj-watt-got-away

Tim Tebow was class of 2006 so I'm sure that big junior commit they are talking about is Willy Korn who was Class of 2007 and rated by some services as top QB in country, either him or Jimmy Clausen. Interesting article as right under it Urban Meyer says the biggest regret of his coaching career in recruiting was missing on CJ.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Didn't realize we were close to landing Tim Tebow

Aug 7, 2016, 10:56 AM

I remember there was some talk, because he and CJ were pretty close. But I don't think we entertained many other QBs because of Korn.

Not sure if it is true or not but

Aug 7, 2016, 12:19 PM

I had seen it stated we told Korn he would be the only QB in his class if he committed to us and then backed off Tebow.

Doubt we had the O-line to allow Tebow to do a he did at Florida at that time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2016, 11:06 AM

Read his book...said he loved the southern charm and tradition at Clemson, but didn't think Clemson was ready to contend for the title at the time.

yep, and Coach Howard about had Larry Zonkle (?)..

Aug 7, 2016, 11:18 AM

Except he got off train in DC to check in with his Mom (by cord type phone!) and she told him to git his #### back on a returning train since Cuse had offered!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Larry Zonkle was a beast

Aug 7, 2016, 11:29 AM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Larry Zonkle, Jim Klicker, and Venus Norris were awesome with the Miami Groupers***

Aug 7, 2016, 4:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So we didn't recruit Tebow because we had a commitment

Aug 7, 2016, 11:27 AM

from Korn, who would have ended up here anyway.

Clearly Coach Swinney will never make that mistake again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasnt Dabos mistake, says in article head coach made that decision

Aug 7, 2016, 12:17 PM

Who would have been Bowden. All for the best though as Tebow wouldn't have won a NC under Bowden and we might have had to endure an even longer standing of the Bowden era. Swinney may have never become Clemsons HC w a longer Bowden era. Everything happens for a reason :)

Aug 7, 2016, 12:22 PM

A few years ago I read Tebow's autobiography in which he spoke very highly of Clemson

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it really wasn't that close

Aug 7, 2016, 3:50 PM

In the book and at other times Tim has expressed how much he loved Clemson but it was always stacked against us for 2 main reasons.

1. WHOLE family are Gators
2. Tim is one of the all time competitive people on earth and we were not near a national title contender

The personalities involved drew them to each other (Tim & Dabo) but it was just too much to overcome.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic