»
Topic: Didn't realize we were close to landing Tim Tebow
Replies: 10   Last Post: Aug 7, 2016 4:13 PM by: ninetytwotiger®
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 10  

Didn't realize we were close to landing Tim Tebow

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 10:29 AM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17210230/dabo-swinney-butch-jones-more-coaches-recruits-tim-tebow-jj-watt-got-away

Tim Tebow was class of 2006 so I'm sure that big junior commit they are talking about is Willy Korn who was Class of 2007 and rated by some services as top QB in country, either him or Jimmy Clausen. Interesting article as right under it Urban Meyer says the biggest regret of his coaching career in recruiting was missing on CJ.

Re: Didn't realize we were close to landing Tim Tebow

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 10:56 AM

I remember there was some talk, because he and CJ were pretty close. But I don't think we entertained many other QBs because of Korn.

Not sure if it is true or not but

[1]
Posted: Aug 7, 2016 12:19 PM

I had seen it stated we told Korn he would be the only QB in his class if he committed to us and then backed off Tebow.

Doubt we had the O-line to allow Tebow to do a he did at Florida at that time.

2020 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 11:06 AM

Read his book...said he loved the southern charm and tradition at Clemson, but didn't think Clemson was ready to contend for the title at the time.

yep, and Coach Howard about had Larry Zonkle (?)..

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 11:18 AM

Except he got off train in DC to check in with his Mom (by cord type phone!) and she told him to git his #### back on a returning train since Cuse had offered!

2020 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Larry Zonkle was a beast

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 11:29 AM

;)

Larry Zonkle, Jim Klicker, and Venus Norris were awesome with the Miami Groupers***

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 4:13 PM

2020 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

So we didn't recruit Tebow because we had a commitment

[1]
Posted: Aug 7, 2016 11:27 AM

from Korn, who would have ended up here anyway.

Clearly Coach Swinney will never make that mistake again.

Wasnt Dabos mistake, says in article head coach made that decision

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 12:17 PM

Who would have been Bowden. All for the best though as Tebow wouldn't have won a NC under Bowden and we might have had to endure an even longer standing of the Bowden era. Swinney may have never become Clemsons HC w a longer Bowden era. Everything happens for a reason :)

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 12:22 PM

A few years ago I read Tebow's autobiography in which he spoke very highly of Clemson

2020 student level member

it really wasn't that close

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 3:50 PM

In the book and at other times Tim has expressed how much he loved Clemson but it was always stacked against us for 2 main reasons.

1. WHOLE family are Gators
2. Tim is one of the all time competitive people on earth and we were not near a national title contender

The personalities involved drew them to each other (Tim & Dabo) but it was just too much to overcome.

military_donation.jpg

Replies: 10  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: SEASON TICKETS FOR 2021 Lower Deck Section T, row 18, seats 5 & 7, plus a parking pass. $1900

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
1110 people have read this post