Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Didnt Homer Jordan lose his starting position to Mike Eppley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Didnt Homer Jordan lose his starting position to Mike Eppley

Sep 26, 2018, 8:03 AM

during Homers senior year ? which was after the national championship season...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no Homer Jordan was a senior when he won the championship***

Sep 26, 2018, 8:11 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: no Homer Jordan was a senior when he won the championship***

Sep 26, 2018, 8:12 AM

So he lost it then .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Homer was NOT a senior when he won the championship...

Sep 26, 2018, 8:19 AM [ in reply to no Homer Jordan was a senior when he won the championship*** ]

he was a junior.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you are mistaken ................

Sep 26, 2018, 8:19 AM [ in reply to no Homer Jordan was a senior when he won the championship*** ]

I think you are mistaken, I remember watching Homer play against Georgia the next year while I was in law school, it was the first game of the season , Labor Day Special ...I am pretty sure that he and Epply split time that year, just cannot remember if Eppley ever started but I think he did at some point or for some games, ..

Sep 26, 2018, 8:23 AM

After losing its opener 13-7 to Georgia in September and tying Boston College 17-17 in its second game, Clemson had plenty of other worries, including twice as many injuries as in 1981. The victims have included senior Quarterback Homer Jordan, star of the national championship team, who damaged cartilage in his right knee in the preseason. Jordan limped through four games before undergoing arthroscopic surgery in October, but what may have hurt him more was being implicated in the NCAA investigation. Clemson President Bill L. Atchley barred Jordan from playing against Kentucky on Oct. 2 because he feared Jordan might have been in "technical violation" of the NCAA constitution in allowing a member of Clemson's booster club to co-sign a loan Jordan used to buy a 1982 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. "I never really knew what was going on," Jordan says. "I still don't." That Jordan was reinstated immediately after the Kentucky game certainly didn't lessen the confusion.

Who would quarterback the Tigers on any given series last Saturday was a mystery, too. Even though Jordan was healthy, Coach Danny Ford started sophomore Mike Eppley for the fourth straight week, a decision that seemed justified when Eppley led the Tigers 65 yards to a touchdown on their first possession, a 17-play drive that ended with a five-yard scoring run by Tailback Cliff Austin. On Clemson's next possession, however, Ford sent out Jordan. Ford then switched back to Eppley, then briefly to Jordan, then back to Eppley again. Afterward, Ford didn't do much explaining. Of the two, Jordan has a stronger arm and—particularly important in running the Tigers' option against Maryland's eight-man defensive front—better outside speed. However, Eppley, the starting point guard for Clemson's basketball team, executes the option more deftly. "It's similar to running a fast break," he says. Certainly his superb fakes and pitches befuddled Maryland and spearheaded the two short touchdown drives that followed Sadler's shanked punts late in the first and third quarters.

Homer won the natty as a junior. He split

Sep 26, 2018, 8:25 AM

some time partially due to injuries his senior season but he was still effective. I don't have the media guide here with me to look it up however

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Didnt Homer Jordan lose his starting position to Mike Eppley

Sep 26, 2018, 8:38 AM

There was some questions surrounding Homer from the infractions investigation (an alumni cosigned the note on a car he purchased), so they suspended him in 1982 for one game (Kentucky, Game 4) and started Eppley. Homer was the starter at the beginning of the season (against UGA). Eppley continued to start through the rest of the year, including against Maryland when Clemson clinched the ACC title. I think Homer started his final game against Wake Forest and may have started the USuC game (last at DV), but I can't recall for certain.

BTW, we barely won that game against Wake just one year off of winning the NC and crushing them 82-24.

Re: Didnt Homer Jordan lose his starting position to Mike Eppley

Sep 26, 2018, 8:59 AM

The Wake game was played in Tokyo. The only time that I remember USuC NOT being the final regular season game.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic