Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did you guys talk about BillO's interview with the atheist?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Did you guys talk about BillO's interview with the atheist?

Nov 29, 2012, 4:50 PM

Where BillO said Christianity was a philosophy not a religion? If you didn't, what are your thoughts?

He seems to insinuate--by singling out Methodist and Catholicism--that Christianity is a philosophy made up of religious institutions. That to me makes little to no sense. I do think there is a component of philosophy in religion, but I also think they are at odds on many fundamental levels (like the role of reason).

He also calls Jesus "just a man" which I think would be viewed incorrectly by most Christians.

This atheist guy seems to bring out the "what the hell?" in BillO, last time he was on, BillO's famous "how do tides work?" discussion took place.

(I know this seems like a troll post, but I think it's an interesting idea.)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this the same interview

Nov 29, 2012, 4:52 PM

where he said you can't explain waves?

that's the first interview with the same atheist guy...

Nov 29, 2012, 4:53 PM

"tides come, tides go out...can't explain that" argument for God.

This was the latest interview that's been making it's rounds around the internet.

Here's an article (video at bottom)

Nov 29, 2012, 4:57 PM

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-oreilly-confronts-atheist-leader-and-his-merry-band-of-fascists-over-the-war-on-christmas%E2%84%A2/

Jesus, just a man? If that's the case, then there is no hope

Nov 29, 2012, 4:52 PM

No...not the stance of any Christian denomination.

Re: Jesus, just a man? If that's the case, then there is no hope

Nov 29, 2012, 8:09 PM

Not officially, but a lot of people within those religion have that view, even some of the religious leaders.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jesus, just a man? If that's the case, then there is no hope

Nov 29, 2012, 8:30 PM

true, it is just that it is nice to see them coming out of the closet in droves as of late.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's a monumental idiot

Nov 29, 2012, 5:36 PM

Or more likely he is playing a character who is a monumental idiot that will (sadly) appeal to other reactionary idiots out there.

Christianity, by it's very nature is a religion. And while some adherents like to try and differentiate it from other religions by using the "relationship not religion" argument, it doesn't stop it from being a religion by any practical definition.

And this is coming from a Christian.

Granted I don't much have a problem with the celebration of Christmas in the public sector as long as it is not forced (and I mean directly forced) upon individuals who don't want to take part. Being the dominant (culturally) religion of this country (if there is even such a thing) then time off for the holiday is not something I see as a big issue, but I do get where the Atheist dude is coming from.

But, back to the main point, Bill (the character or the man) is an idiot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jews and Muslims celebrate Jesus as a prophet not a god

Nov 29, 2012, 7:21 PM

so the point is anyone can celebrate the good he did without having to believe in the religious aspects.

so O'Reilly was right, he just didn't construct the argument

Nov 29, 2012, 7:22 PM

well.

The brainiacs on here don't get that.

Nope. "Christianity is not a religion"

Nov 29, 2012, 7:26 PM

That is patently and absurdly false.

He may well have points about Christmas celebrations in the public sector, but his argument to get there was 100% udeniably false.

It was idiotic.

As was his "fascist" comment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but its not at the heart of the argument, you still don't

Nov 29, 2012, 8:13 PM

get it.

Christmas can be celebrated by everyone, its about a philosophy centered around a religion.

The issue is Christmas, not christianity. Again, Billy O just didn't construct his argument well.

He didn't argue that point at all

Nov 29, 2012, 8:20 PM

Had he argued that point I would have primarily agreed with him.

He said point blank "Christianity is not a religion" and then compounded his stupidity by throwing around the allegations of fascism.

I get the arguments for Christmas in the public sector, but to do so by his absurd assertion that Christianity is not a religion is stupid. Patently stupid.

Re: Did you guys talk about BillO's interview with the atheist?

Nov 29, 2012, 9:45 PM

War on Christmas season on Fox News is always great

Bill O is certainly unorthodox in his beliefs...

Nov 29, 2012, 9:58 PM

but there's nothing that says you must be an orthodox Christian in order to be a conservative, or that you need to be a theologian to be a Christian. While I think there are probably some political consequences of Bill's unorthodox theology, I'm not sure why anybody would be surprised. Has he ever said he was a Christian or identified himself with any particular Christian confession?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think that's what this was about.

Nov 30, 2012, 1:47 AM

It was simply about his view on if Christianity is a religion or philosophy.

I think BillO has said he is Roman-Catholic.

Re: Did you guys talk about BillO's interview with the atheist?

Nov 30, 2012, 9:50 AM

I didn't see the interview you refer to, but since you asked for thoughts, here goes:

My first thought is, why are some people so diametrically opposed to the Christmas message of the birth of Christ? If it is as some claim that the message is being pushed on them all they have to do is ignore it. It seems as if what should be season of giving, peace, and joy is becoming a point of contention to those who may not share the same point of view.

My second thought is why would a message of hope be so offensive to those who seem to be so intent on rejecting it? The only conclusion I can draw is that they are not offended, they simply don't want to conform to it.

I get the whole "relationship not religion" arguement. What I don't get is how a message of God loving the world enough to allow His Son to be born and die for us all would be offensive. God loved the world enough to come to Earth in the Person of Jesus (a fact that blows some away).

In summing this up I believe it is not the mesage that's offensive, but the paradox that we are helpless to save ourselves(no amount of effort or good works), and are dependent on faith of the One born a little over 2,000 years ago.

Dudya did say that Hay Zeus was his favorite philospher***

Nov 30, 2012, 11:21 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dudya, LOL.***

Nov 30, 2012, 12:34 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, sometimes typos are brilliant***

Nov 30, 2012, 12:38 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic