Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did we ever play usc this year? Our ranking and bowl makes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Did we ever play usc this year? Our ranking and bowl makes

Dec 11, 2013, 8:41 AM

it appear that nobody outside South Carolina cares whether we beat usc or not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly***

Dec 11, 2013, 8:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: exactly***

Dec 11, 2013, 8:57 AM

who cares what others think. we know, as Clemson fans and graduates, and have to live with coot fans every day. I as both a fan and graduate of Clemson hate it and don't understand how our team and coaches have allowed it to happen. imo they do not have more talent than we do and it has to changed and addressed going forward.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My point is that the bowl invitation and ranking give the

Dec 11, 2013, 9:00 AM

appearance that the game was never played. Not that I don't want to kick their #####.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My point is that the bowl invitation and ranking give the

Dec 11, 2013, 9:38 AM

Bowl invitations have nothing to do with rankings. The bowls don't decide who they're going to pick based on ranking, record, or any of that stuff. Bowls pick from the limited pool of teams available to them based on factors such as proximity, TV viewers, political pressure, fan interest, etc.

This is why the "deserve" or "don't deserve" the Orange Bowl debate misses the point. "Deserve" has nothing to do with it. Bowls don't choose who "deserves" to play in their bowl, they choose who they think will bring the most fans, money, etc. Nobody from Clemson should feel a bit "bad" or "unworthy" of the Orange Bowl, because "deserves" isn't a criteria for these bowls.

As someone who has live most of his life outside of SC

Dec 11, 2013, 8:58 AM

I can tell you nobody cares about this game outside of SC.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

It's not like we had a shocking loss to a lowly 5-7 team!

Dec 11, 2013, 9:03 AM

What's that called anyway?

"USC-ing?"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's not like we had a shocking loss to a lowly 5-7 team!

Dec 11, 2013, 9:11 AM

As native of SC, WE care, and that's all that matters!

Orange Bowl bid is a conference tie-in, not at large.

Dec 11, 2013, 9:16 AM

The USC game had no impact on what bowl we go to. You try to have the best season you can and then who knows how the bowl chips will fall each year.

Next year, the rules change and we won't get a BCS bowl with this year's performance. It doesn't really matter though. All that matters is a National Championship, Conference Championship and game against USC. Everything else is just details.

Orange Bowl is at large for us, b/c the tie in went to the

Dec 11, 2013, 9:22 AM

MNC

they didn't have to choose us

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: Did we ever play usc this year? Our ranking and bowl makes

Dec 11, 2013, 9:20 AM

Every year I hear so much hype about this game, yet I never see Southern Cal on the schedule. I don't get it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Even in Charlotte no one cares about the game.***

Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 AM

We would have still gotten the OB bid

Dec 11, 2013, 9:26 AM

Under the new system. Bc then the OB would have had to take the next highest ACC team if the OB was not one of the 3 playoff games. Which it isn't next year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So that means the Wake Forest game is more important

Dec 11, 2013, 9:28 AM

than the USC game?

Take a step back and realize that the only, and I mean only, reason we're playing in the BCS is because FSU is playing for a national championship. We should write them a thank you letter.

If they weren't we would be in the Chick-Fil-A bowl.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re Have we ever played the Trojans?***

Dec 11, 2013, 10:26 AM

Others in this thread have touched on this

Dec 11, 2013, 10:45 AM

But you also need to remember the BCS rules require a team be in Top 14 BCS ranking. The non-AQ schools only have to be in Top 16 but NIU lost and didn't make the cut. The rules further state no more than two schools from same conference, so that takes out Mizzou and SCAR.

I think the Tigers could still have been in a BCS bowl even if FSU hadn't gotten into NC. For instance, had FSU lost a game then we could have had a Bama/Auburn rematch in NC game and in that case FSU would just go to Orange and Clemson gets a Sugar Bowl bid.

Point is, due to BCS rules, the Tigers were the best team available....maybe Oregon has a gripe but they faded late and Miami is a long trip for their fans.

Now, had NIU not lost then I think they get the BCS slot that went to Clemson or Oklahoma......so really the thanks for the BCS bid should go to whoever beat NIU.

That's exactly correct. The past two seasons, our losing

Dec 11, 2013, 11:07 AM

to them hasn't made a dime's worth of difference about where we ultimately went bowling.

Well I do live in SC and I definitely care. However, I don't

Dec 11, 2013, 11:14 AM

care what anyone outside of the SC region thinks. I doubt many care about any game Clemson plays unless they are part of the college football media, and it is obvious they noticed that we lost - AGAIN.

Since we can't beat them, let's just say it doesn't matter.***

Dec 11, 2013, 11:15 AM

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic