Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Now I am up in the middle of the night.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Now I am up in the middle of the night.

Dec 27, 2018, 1:55 AM

I was woke up about an hour ago because my dogs were barking like crazy. Someone was trying to get in my front door. The person was working really hard to get in. I got up and went to my door and yelled through the door, "You better get the F out of here, because I don't know who you are!" The person started to run away. Once I saw the dude starting to run, I went outside and yelled at the person. It was a big male maybe mid 20's. The person turned around maybe 100 yards away and lifted his hands up like "sorry". Maybe it was a lost drunk? I don't know. Anyway, it kind of freaked me out for a sec. Now I can't sleep. It's a reminder to always lock the front door for now on. Many times in the past I didn't bother nor did I worry about locking my door.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lock. Alarm. Gun. Three levels of safety for our home.

Dec 27, 2018, 6:14 AM

Mainly because of three words. Columbia, South Carolina.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lock. Alarm. Gun. Three levels of safety for our home.

Dec 27, 2018, 6:33 AM

Yeah, I have no alarm and no guns. I am considering both.

Dec 27, 2018, 7:39 AM

First line of defense: Exterior motion sensors aimed at obvious entry points … up to 6 on a single system. Works well!

I learned the hard way several years ago...

Dec 27, 2018, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Lock. Alarm. Gun. Three levels of safety for our home. ]

about not having an alarm. They broke in during the middle of day while I was at work.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

get a pump shotgun

Dec 27, 2018, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Lock. Alarm. Gun. Three levels of safety for our home. ]

the pump action sound is scary enough to send a shiver down one of these punks' spines.

Get slugs in case you need to use it. At close range they are a kill shot anywhere on the body

at close rance low brass #8 is a kill shot. and wont kill

Dec 27, 2018, 9:33 AM

the neighbors......or your kids down the hall

Brick house here. Don't have those problems***

Dec 27, 2018, 9:34 AM

Ah, yes...the sound of racking a shell into the chamber.

Dec 27, 2018, 9:40 AM [ in reply to get a pump shotgun ]

Probably one of the most quoted misconceptions in all of home security. If someone is trying to get into your house while it's obviously occupied, that sound is NOT what you want to lean on in the expectation of protecting lives. Breaking into an occupied home is a home invasion and NOT a burglary, and you have to work under the assumption that the perpetrator has less of a fear when it comes to confrontation as opposed to a sneak thief.

I totally agree with a shotgun as the best stationary defense weapon, but slugs limit the target area much like using a rifle or handgun. Larger patterns with smaller shot does just as much defensively without doing as much damage to the home and helps mitigate the obvious handicaps of being groggy from being woken up late at night, the less than perfect light conditions, and in more case than most would like to admit, the lack of general firearms practice.

The point is to avoid the situation if possible. Yelling through the door and scaring the person off did everything it needed to. Defensive posture is the action you take when someone is determined to enter the house without regard to it being occupied and continues to gain entry despite a warning. It better be practiced, and the rest of the family better be involved in knowing the procedure because things can quickly go wrong in any situation like that.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, we practice. my line of fire from my side of the bed

Dec 27, 2018, 9:50 AM

would directly hit my youngest son lying in bed.

I have to make it to the door and fire down the hall or retreat to the corner of the room (wifes side of the bed) and fire into the facing wall (living room on the other side.) Best case scenario is exit the sleeping quarters and confront in the living area.

If you dont know what is beyond your target, you better find out.

If you are in my house and hear a loud whistle, you best take low cover.....like under a bed

Most folks just have a handgun in the bedside table.

Dec 27, 2018, 10:25 AM

They never practice, and have have no plan. Groggy from being awakened, low light conditions, and fumbling with a weapon they're not totally comfortable with in perfect conditions is a recipe for disaster. That's exactly how horrible accidents happen. It's smart that you have a plan in place and everyone is involved. The last thing you want is for children to have to see or be involved in a situation like that. The best case scenario is always scaring off an intruder before it gets to that point.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2018, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Lock. Alarm. Gun. Three levels of safety for our home. ]

I would be happy to give you some tips on buying your first gun, along with a comparison run downs of different models, how they work, calibers, proper home defense ammo, tactics, etc.

We have solar motion flood lights, Lock. Alarm. Gun.

Dec 27, 2018, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Lock. Alarm. Gun. Three levels of safety for our home. ]

No wiring and I covered the entire yard for less than $250.00

Only house in the neighborhood that hasn’t had cars broken into or the stuff on our porch vandalized.

When we first moved here kids used to ring and run. I put up the lights and it stopped.

Link? That and cameras only two things I'm missing***

Dec 27, 2018, 8:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Link? That and cameras only two things I'm missing***

Dec 27, 2018, 8:56 AM

I have these over the back door, shop door,and carport (and they are way price reduced I might grab some more)

https://smile.amazon.com/BAXIA-TECHNOLOGY-Wireless-Waterproof-Security/dp/B071HW515B/

These along the edge of the house covering the walkways front and back

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IF3J6WG/

And these on the two corners away from the doors

https://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-Detection-Distance-Resistant-Exterior/dp/B0751B5J85/

It’s nice to come home late and walk from the car to the door and lights come on as you go.

Did they ring... or, uh , knock?***

Dec 27, 2018, 9:14 AM [ in reply to We have solar motion flood lights, Lock. Alarm. Gun. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Not that Columbia was ever a great city, but that place has

Dec 27, 2018, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Lock. Alarm. Gun. Three levels of safety for our home. ]

really gone down hill last 2 decades. Richland County as a whole.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Now I am up in the middle of the night.

Dec 27, 2018, 7:46 AM

That will cause adrenaline to flow like crazy. Glad you heard him first before he got in.

Re: Now I am up in the middle of the night.

Dec 27, 2018, 8:19 AM

Definitely. Had the hair standing up.

Do you still live in Miami?***

Dec 27, 2018, 8:42 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you still live in Miami?***

Dec 27, 2018, 9:30 AM

I moved to Boca Raton.

My grandma never locked the front door.

Dec 27, 2018, 8:56 AM

They would leave for a week and still not lock it.

But yes, now adays I make sure all 3 doors into house are locked and I turn my alarm on as well. Never had a problem in 7 years at this house but I sleep better at night.

And I have a firearm, so if alarm were to go off, grab the firearm and go see.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where the #### yall joungers be living that people keep

Dec 27, 2018, 9:20 AM

trying break into your houses/cars?

This is the new world we live in

Dec 27, 2018, 9:23 AM

Sleep with 1 eye open and shoot to kill

It's that time of year, apparently

Dec 27, 2018, 9:20 AM

Someone backed a box truck up to my neighbors house on Christmas morning, luckily they had told other neighbors they were going to be out of town so the neighbor who saw it knew something wasn't right. Police never even responded, but thankfully they did drive away as soon as they realized they had been discovered. Destroyed their front yard in the process. I guess they had cased the house and realized they were out of town, and had plans to clean them out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's that time of year, apparently

Dec 27, 2018, 9:34 AM

That is awful. Yeah it is scary, because you never know what someone will do when cornered. My Mom ls a single old lady now living a few blocks from me. Kind of gets me nervous for her. She probably looks like an easy target. South Florida is odd. You can live in a great neighborhood, but 2 or 3 miles away can be very dangerous.

Get her some of these

Dec 27, 2018, 9:39 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Mbangde-Upgrade-Wedge-Door-Alarm/dp/B01LWYYCSA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1545921181&sr=8-7&keywords=door+stopper+security

I figure the alarm alone would somewhat deter someone from continuing to try to get in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so they told neighbors they would be out of town

Dec 27, 2018, 9:36 AM [ in reply to It's that time of year, apparently ]

and miraculously thieves happened to pick THAT house to burgle on Christmas day.

Coincidence

I dont think so......

Someone they told.......was in their yard

Nah, I don't think so. It's a smaller hood, everyone knows

Dec 27, 2018, 9:44 AM

everyone else pretty well. There's three new houses being built, I kind of figure it's a contractor. Sounds like every time there are a lot of workers in and out of the hood this kind of stuff starts happening.

Granted, I don't think anyone has ever tried to break into a residence while someone was home. You gotta be pretty crazy to attempt a home invasion, pretty risky move without being 100% sure nobody is home.

How do you know you didn't know who it was?***

Dec 27, 2018, 12:50 PM

Re: How do you know you didn't know who it was?***

Dec 27, 2018, 1:03 PM

Because I looked through the peephole as the first thing I did. Also, nobody would knock on my door close to 1am without calling. He ran. Then when I opened the door and yelled at him he kept going. It was nobody I knew.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic