Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did anyone else think that Tommy Bowden's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Did anyone else think that Tommy Bowden's

Nov 17, 2015, 2:10 PM

Remarks regarding DW4 went beyond commentary and was disregard and disrespectful, or definitely lack of respect. Not that it was personal towards DW4, but it was personal and vindictive all the same. I have been disappointed with the way he has acted at times over the past few seasons

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A part of me is hoping

Nov 17, 2015, 2:24 PM

That this was one of those scripted "you take this side and he'll take that side" sort of televised debate.

Because if that view is actually what Bowden thinks, then his logic makes zero sense. "Bama's RB should be #1, and Watson should be #6 because Watson has all that talent surrounding him" Thats patently stupid logic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A part of me is hoping

Nov 17, 2015, 2:29 PM

It wasn't only what he said but how he said it. It was as animated and passionate as I have seen him be, especially since being a commentator. It just seemed personal to me, like Dabo is accomplishing yet another thing that I didn't accomplish. And like I said, it seemed less about DW4 and more personal with him.

Henry is a really good RB, but that OL opens huge

Nov 17, 2015, 2:30 PM [ in reply to A part of me is hoping ]

gaps for him, and the blocking downfield is near perfection. Then add in the fact that XCTB puts Boykin ahead of Watson...and it's pure stupidity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Gallman would have the same #'s behind that Alabama line***

Nov 17, 2015, 2:45 PM

That's not really what he said

Nov 17, 2015, 2:38 PM [ in reply to A part of me is hoping ]

He was countering Skinner's claim that Watson was all Clemson really had (which wasn't exactly what Skinner was saying, either). At any rate, I agree with Bowden that Watson doesn't really have comparable numbers to some of the other guys. We'll see after a few weeks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's not really what he said

Nov 17, 2015, 2:42 PM

Well, having him # 6 seems absurd. And like I said I have seen him seem bitter several times over the past few seasons. It seems you are the one overreacting to a question and giving me a thumbs down she it was an honest question.

Disagree

Nov 17, 2015, 2:43 PM [ in reply to That's not really what he said ]

I've said, and agree with him, that the lack of Tecmo bowl stats are the reason he isn't getting as much Heisman consideration as some other folks.

But he has the Bama RB #1. Then, in the same conversation he defended his #6 ranking of Watson based on "stats" which I can see his point, and the fact that Watson is surrounded by talent on O and D. That logic, if he is consistent, should cause him to rank the Bama RB way lower as well. It's logically inconsistent.

And for the record I don't like the idea that the Heisman goes to the best player on the best team like Skinner says, but it certainly seems like that is a major consideration in the choices over the years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If that's his secondary reason, there's nothing wrong w/ it

Nov 17, 2015, 2:51 PM

I have no idea why people feel the need to fault the guy for having the horrible, horrible gall to put our QB ALL THE WAY BACK at #6 in the Heisman race. Personally, I have no problem with Watson being behind those guys because his stats don't really compare to theirs. And if Bowden, while debating somebody else who's saying Watson should be #1 because he's the MVP of the #1 team, wants to bring up Watson's supporting cast as a secondary argument, it's beyond me how somebody would find that "disrespectful" or "stupid." For some reason, people just feel the need to take pot-shots at Bowden any time he's mentioned.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never said disrespectful

Nov 17, 2015, 2:55 PM

But the logic is inconsistent.

It would be if that was his main reason, but it wasn't

Nov 17, 2015, 2:57 PM

Stats are his main reason, and that's perfectly consistent across all of the people he ranked. He should also be credited with having Dalvin Cook in his list, because way too many people are overlooking him right now.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

Huh? DW4 hasn't lost a game yet, and hasn't had a

Nov 17, 2015, 2:50 PM [ in reply to That's not really what he said ]

performance like Boykin had against the only decent team TCU has played all year. XCTB said we won the ND game with defense, but no mention of the monsoon or how Watson made plays when he needed to. Also as he says Watson is surrounded by 4 and 5 star players, his best WR went down on our opening drive, we have a true freshman at LT, a former walk-on starting at receiver, etc. You want to put Henry ahead of Watson, fine. But to put Boykin ahead of Watson is absurd. And to use the logic he used for doing so is even more absurd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Whoah there, Captain Hyperbole

Nov 17, 2015, 2:55 PM

There wasn't anything "absurd" about anything Bowden said. One bad game shouldn't take a guy out of the Heisman race, and both Boykin and Watson have had less than stellar games.

All of the reasons you list are valid, but just because you disagree doesn't make somebody else's arguments "absurd" or somehow "disrespectful." Not to overstate things, but that's ridiculous.

Copy and paste to where I said "disrespectful?"

Nov 17, 2015, 3:16 PM

And yes, it's absurd. Against the ONLY good team Boykin has faced all year, he had 1 TD and 4 INTs and they lost the game. Watson has won every game this year. Then to add that Watson has all that talent around him is an absurd reason for putting Boykin ahead of Watson.

Read the OP's post

Nov 17, 2015, 5:11 PM

You give good reasons for why someone might think Watson should be ahead of Boykin, but none of Bowden's reasons for having Boykin ahead of Watson are "absurd."

It's unfortunate that you feel the need to call something you disagree with "absurd" just because you disagree. Someone could equally point out Watson's 10/21, 84 yard game against ND. We'd say that not passing was part of the game plan and that the game was played in a monsoon, but we don't let ND get away with talking about the weather as a reason for dismissing their loss, and Kizer ended up 19/34 for 321 yards. Someone could also point out that Boykin passed for 445 yards and was well over 50% in the game where he had 4 interceptions. And then there's the fact that Boykin has nearly 1000 more passing yards than Watson, 6 more TDs, and 3 more TDs rushing despite barely playing against Kansas.

Now, that doesn't mean I think Boykin's better than Watson, or that I think Boykin should be higher up on the Heisman list than Watson. But it's ridiculous to call someone who was making the above argument "absurd" just because you disagree.

Re: That's not really what he said

Nov 17, 2015, 3:20 PM [ in reply to That's not really what he said ]

It's not just about stats . DW 's stats would probably be more amazing based on time played .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A part of me is hoping

Nov 17, 2015, 2:44 PM [ in reply to A part of me is hoping ]

Yeah and Henry has no line blocking for him either. Most of his runs I have seen he isn't touched within 3 or 4 yards of the line of scrimmage.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did anyone else think that Tommy Bowden's

Nov 17, 2015, 2:29 PM

honestly... i like tommy bowden.. i think he's a good guy.. but, he was not a good head coach.. he lost respect of his team.. he seemed to be a "screamer" and a "yeller" instead of a "inspirer".. and, when i listen to him talk on that acc show.. he really doesn't sound like he knows that much about football.. no more than me, anyway.. i remember in 2008 when they were 3-2 going into the wake forest game on that thursday night, i told my dad.. "i could coach this team to a 3-2 record at this point".. anyone could've..

Tommy Bowden is an idiot.

Nov 17, 2015, 2:30 PM

I'm fine with someone arguing that DW shouldn't be No.1, but to have him at #6 when he is the best QB in the nation and running the No.1 team in the nation tells me that his "analysis" is nothing more than sour grapes.

No idea how you can get that from his comments

Nov 17, 2015, 2:35 PM

Nothing he said was remotely disrespectful, and in fact he said he "liked Deshaun Watson." He then went on to say that Clemson had the best team in the country. And he's not wrong that some other QBs have better stats.

I swear, some of you guys can find "disrespect" anywhere.

Re: No idea how you can get that from his comments

Nov 17, 2015, 2:46 PM

May have better stats but that's because those teams are mostly pass happy. If Watson threw the ball every down he would hit 500 yards every game. We are a pretty balanced team. That is why he has the gaudy running stats as well.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's a Bowden, that's what they do***

Nov 17, 2015, 3:23 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does anyone think it matters what TB says anymore?

Nov 17, 2015, 3:49 PM

He was canned here and now is a talking head on a semi-legit football broadcast. Every time I watch him on TV I feel kind of sad that he was relegated to such a lowly position, but then I remember why and I promptly change the channel...

You should too.

Who cares what Tammy thinks?***

Nov 17, 2015, 6:58 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic