Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo to TB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 2,940

Dabo to TB

Nov 29, 2013, 9:54 AM

Just watched the "New college football show" with former coach TB. Coach Swinney was a guest, and did an X & O to explain to TB how to neutralize the clown. It was priceless!! A real shame that TB could never figure out these things when it was his turn at the helm.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IB4 TB beat the coots a lot.***

Nov 29, 2013, 9:55 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IB4 TB beat the coots a lot.***

Nov 29, 2013, 9:59 AM

That, and the onset of facility upgrades are why we love him. Just don't understand why he could never get over the hump, and take our program to the next level when you look at the talent (players) he had to work with.

My list of reasons include things such at too loyal,

Nov 29, 2013, 10:56 AM

let the "good ole boy network" cloud his mind, and was just not cut out for big time college football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not so sure he didn't do the best anyone could do, with

Nov 29, 2013, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Re: IB4 TB beat the coots a lot.*** ]

what he had to work with. Remember, his classes were ranked 15th-20th typically....and that's about where he typically finished. He didn't have the facilities that we have now (although he's the reason we have them) and really didn't have the all-around talent we have now. James Davis was his first 5-star guy, and some pubs had him 4-star...remember, that was mid-way through what he was building here. He never had 4-stars all over the field. Yes, he should have beaten Wake Forest and Duke...no excuses for that...but I think 8 wins, maybe 9, is what the talent produced.

"that's about where he typically finished"

Nov 29, 2013, 10:02 PM

Are you serious or just misinformed?

Re: IB4 TB beat the coots a lot.***

Nov 30, 2013, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Re: IB4 TB beat the coots a lot.*** ]

We have the highest paid and best ASST coaches in the country right now....CTB had Dabo - nough said.

Do you think the cockz were the same then as they are now?***

Nov 29, 2013, 9:56 PM [ in reply to IB4 TB beat the coots a lot.*** ]

Clowney played during TB era? LOL***

Nov 29, 2013, 9:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy didn't have the coordinators that Dabo does.....

Nov 29, 2013, 10:04 AM

also, the teams in the ACC were a bit better then as well as a whole.

BUT he beat the coots like a mule.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tommy didn't have the coordinators that Dabo does.....

Nov 29, 2013, 10:34 AM

TB NEVER had the respect and admiration of the players as Coach Swinney has. Not that it matters, but he didn't mine either!

The players carrying him out after that one win over

Nov 29, 2013, 10:58 AM

SC says otherwise, unless you are saying that TB did have respect and admiration just not to the level of Dabo.

Go watch the 63-17 win

Nov 29, 2013, 11:27 AM

At one point one of our defensive guys got a personal foul. TB tried to chew him out for it but the guy told TB to screw off and walked away. Bowden looked like a deer in headlights when one of his players blew him off. That doesn't happen under Dabo.

On top of that, look at the USuC teams Bowden played! Most of them couldn't even get bowl eligible. They weren't Ole Ball Sacks bought and paid for 11 win teams...

.....and it got him fired !***

Nov 29, 2013, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Tommy didn't have the coordinators that Dabo does..... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did CTB show Dabo how to win vs USuC?***

Nov 29, 2013, 10:52 AM

The reason why...

Nov 29, 2013, 11:07 AM

Tommy Bowden could never "get us over the hump" is that he was a very mediocre coach with mediocre assistants. He recruited well enough, but he never got the potential out of his teams. And yes... Dabo was one of his assistants. That's why so many were horrified when he was named HC. But overall Dabo has recruited better than Bowden and he has hired better coordinators - and that's why he made it.

Comparing beating the coots now to beating them when Bowden was here is absurd. They have an entirely different program now. Anyone who doesn't understand that shouldn't even be entering into this sort of discussion.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you're telling me that since the Bowden era, the

Nov 29, 2013, 11:30 AM

Coots have improved drastically more than we have improved?

Re: So you're telling me that since the Bowden era, the

Nov 29, 2013, 11:35 AM

Yes. That should be obvious. They have also presented a tough match-up for us, individually. They have had a better front 7 3 out of the past 4 years. And a better offensive line 4 out of the last 4 years. In my opinion we are equal or slightly ahead on the front 7 this year and equal at the offensive line. Game will come down to the running backs holding on to the football and Quarterback play.

I am, yes****

Nov 29, 2013, 11:37 AM [ in reply to So you're telling me that since the Bowden era, the ]

Yes.

Nov 29, 2013, 11:43 AM [ in reply to So you're telling me that since the Bowden era, the ]

Clemson has always been a top 20, top 15 team. TB couldn't, or wouldn't, push us past the hump. He either wasn't competent enough or didn't believe Clemson was a team that should be playing for national championships.
Now we have Dabo who took us from being a top 20 ranked, 9 win season team to an 11 win team in the MNC picture.

The coots won their first bowl game in 1995 in the "Carquest Bowl" and didn't go to another bowl game until 2001. After that, they didn't make another bowl appearance until 2005 under Spurrier. They had their first 11 win season in 2011, and had another one in 2012.

Clemson went from being an annual MNC contender to a middle of the barrel team, and is now back to being a MNC contender.

USuC went from being at the very bottom sewers of college football to being a top 10 program in a relatively short amount of time.

Looking at it in context, yes the coots have improved more simply because they went from being one of the worst teams in college football to one of the better ones in the past 4 years. Face it, they've had record performances (as far as USuC football goes).
However, their success is not going to last. Everything has their ups and downs, and the coots recent upward trend is not something that will last. The math proves it. We'll win this year and they'll go back to being awful.

I would have thought that was obvious.***

Nov 29, 2013, 10:03 PM [ in reply to So you're telling me that since the Bowden era, the ]

Relatively speaking, the cockz had more room to improve.

Nov 29, 2013, 10:06 PM [ in reply to So you're telling me that since the Bowden era, the ]

They've sucked since sliced bread, so yeah, they have improved more, in a relative sense.

Ya know, you kinda seem to have the IQ of a ####. I'm just sayin'.

Tommy was the right guy at the time

Nov 29, 2013, 11:41 AM

If any of you recall, we were pathetic under Tommy West....2-9 or whatever. Tommy Bowden was a hot commodity having just gone 11-0 at Tulane and with the pedigree of his dad and brother Terry. He was the right guy to convince our administration that our facilities were grossly behind the times. Which leads to better recruiting and also better practice sessions for the team. Tommy set the stage for where we are now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree 100%***

Nov 29, 2013, 11:43 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree 100%***

Nov 29, 2013, 9:11 PM

R.Rodriguez says hello. Bowden got the job because he was a Bowden. Bowden won because of RR. He sucked as a coach. He has not and never will return to coaching unless B.Robinson hires him!!!!

Your points are well made - Revised my agreement to 43%***

Nov 30, 2013, 8:03 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No worries though

Nov 29, 2013, 9:16 PM

Scar has regressed this year and their team is a dumpster fire on defense next year.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Replies: 26
| visibility 2,940
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic