Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did CTB do the exact same thing SOS did?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,571

Did CTB do the exact same thing SOS did?

Oct 28, 2015, 9:52 AM

Over the weekend, I was talking to a friend about SOS quitting, mid-season, and trying to remember other coaches that had done the same...just walked away, w/o being fired. So few...but it hit me, that's exactly what CTB did to us! Yes, it felt like we fired him...and yes, TDP most likely said "we'll give you the buyout and pay you the rest of the year to resign", which was a polite way of us firing him...BUT...that's exactly (most likely) what happened with SOS...difference being, it felt different because he WAS the face of the program and CTB was the achilles heel. I think the difference was, TDP most likely said that "today is the day. Step down or be fired", and SOS was asked to stay until the end of the season, but he decided to leave. Either way, looking back, pretty interesting. At the end of the day, had SOS not been told this was his last year, he wouldn't have quit mid-season...so, pretty much, he got fired.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did CTB do the exact same thing SOS did?

Oct 28, 2015, 9:54 AM

"Us"?

No - make no mistakes about it, we fired TB. And Spurrier made it clear that he "was resigning" - immediately after the President of the university said he was retiring.

Spurrier quit, Bowden was fired.

Bowden was out... he just didn't push the issue requiring him

Oct 28, 2015, 9:54 AM

to be forced out / fired. That's my understanding anyway.
They would have kept Spurrier as long as he wanted to stay.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

No***

Oct 28, 2015, 9:55 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you guys believe that SOS decieded to leave for the

Oct 28, 2015, 10:00 AM

better of the program, and not because he was told that this season was his last?

or for the betterment of SOS?

Oct 28, 2015, 10:01 AM

so many possibilities...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No....total opposites! Bowden fired...SOS quit!********

Oct 28, 2015, 10:04 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO, Tommy got chitcanned in front of God and everybody.

Oct 28, 2015, 10:07 AM

SOS sought another one year contract extension and USuCk put their/it's foot down and refused. That let him know that the extortion he'd pulled last year with the 'two or three more years,' statement wasn't going to happen again.

SOS controlled this entire situation. IMO, this is exactly what he wanted, a reason to quit with a nice parting gift in hand. It's nothing more than a season veteran of D1 football capitalizing on the the morons who hired him.

Tommy also controlled the situation but with different means. He interviewed to get a contract extension instead of ruining a recruiting class by threatening to retire. In the end both took care of self before anyone else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy was forced to resign by Terry Don Phillips

Oct 28, 2015, 10:11 AM

or be fired. He fought hard to keep his job but the choice was not his.

Spurrier quit. Their AD begged him not to. Totally different scenarios.

Tell your South Carolina friend that the only other HC to quit on his team for a non-medically related reason was Bobby Petrino. He quit on the Falcons a few games into the season. South Carolina got embarrassed by the HBC, and everybody is laughing (again).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope

Oct 28, 2015, 10:18 AM

Bowden was a manufactured firing. We didn't give him the platform to try a "for the betterment of the program I am stepping down" routine.

Steve decided to leave. The AD was reportedly trying to get him to stay through the end of the year. He wanted out and left immediately with the laughable "for the good of the players" song and dance.

Not the same at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2015, 11:40 AM

The way I remember it was, Bowden was told to fire Spence immediately or he would be fired. Bowden showed loyalty to Spence and refused and then Bowden was shown the door.

Oct 28, 2015, 11:42 AM

"The difference is he went to his AD's office. My AD came to mine."

Direct quote from Bowden. So no.

There were a couple of factors in play with CTB

Oct 28, 2015, 12:47 PM

We lost with the most anemic offense in Clemson history at Wake on national tv and TDP started giving CTB ultimatums to get rid of Spence as OC. CTB was too loyal and decided to stand his ground. He went down with the ship and Dabo did what needed to be done with Spence.

I think CTB was gonna be done at the end of the season anyway but his refusal to can Spence sped up the process.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bowden didn't show up on College Gameday the

Oct 28, 2015, 1:08 PM

week that he resigned. He had a little more class than that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,571
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic