Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: ESPN analysts argue if Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow aren't "even close" in potential
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

TNET: ESPN analysts argue if Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow aren't "even close" in potential

Oct 14, 2020, 12:07 PM

ESPN analysts argue if Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow aren't "even close" in potential

Former NFL GM Mike Tannenbaum says the last three NFL draft No. 1 picks -- all QBs in Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and Joe Burrow -- all pale in comparison to w Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Analyst

Oct 14, 2020, 12:35 PM

Lets see now, Howard and Clark say Joe Burrow is the better QB. It took Burrow to reach his Senior year before having any success. I would dare say a one year wonder. But to compare a Senior to a Sophomore to make a definite opinion is bush league.Sometimes i can't believe those guys get paid to mouth off. When the dust settles on both QB's pro career we will see who is better.

Oct 14, 2020, 12:59 PM

Burrow was a red shirt senior at that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2020, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Analyst ]

It pisses me off when these so called anal-ysts continue to make an argument without all of the facts. For instance with throwing stats out as a proof, Trevor Lawrence rarely played in the 4th quarter, and even sometimes just half of the 3rd Quarter, where Burrow usually played to the end. Would Trevor have had equal stats if he played as much as Burrow? Maybe, or maybe not, but it would be close.

Then he makes the point on the score when Clemson and LSU played. If I remember, both Ross and Higgins were suffering injuries in that game. And my opinion is, Clemson lost that game at the defensive line of scrimmage. If Clemson had just two of the power rangers for that game, I believe Clemson wins. Clemson might even win with the DL that the Tigers currently have?

Oct 14, 2020, 7:46 PM

Don’t let talking head shows #### you off. They have to keep the dialogue going and that doesn’t work when everyone agrees on the same stuff. The formula is the same with every topic:
1) Popular opinion with less popular bent
2) Statement in favor - highlight reel film
3) Dissent with supporting film
4) Alternate take with film or quote
5) Agree to disagree until relevant incident or game occurs

Oct 14, 2020, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Analyst ]

I'm pretty sure that Burrow was a 5th year senior last year in the NCG!!! And Trevor was playing in the NCG his second time as a freshman and sophomore!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The guy needs to screw his head on

Oct 14, 2020, 12:35 PM

Baker? Sure.

Kyler? Sure.

But, seriously, Joe Burrow is another story. His season last year was one for the ages. Not only that, he's looked very good so far on a team that is determined to get him killed. The Bengals are dead to me but watching Burrow navigate heavy pressure, read defenses and complete passes so well this early in his rookie season blows my mind. I've never seen a rookie look so much in complete command this soon. I hate to think where he'd be with a full off-season of preparation without COVID.

Maybe Burrow will hit a ceiling early in his career and flat line. That is possible.

I love Trevor and actually think he's a much better NFL prospect than Andrew Luck was (who I also watched a lot in college). But saying Joe Burrow isn't "even close" in potential is over the top nutso IMO.

Burrow was a fifth year senior in 2019, Trevor was a true

Oct 14, 2020, 1:34 PM

sophomore. Burrow is three years older than Trevor. No one had ever heard of Joe Burrow until his last year as a redshirt senior. Trevor has been a star at Clemson/NCAA since he arrived as a freshman in 2018. He won a CFP title game (undefeated) his freshman season. He is currently 33-1 all-time at Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL was making throws in High School that Burrow

Oct 14, 2020, 2:15 PM [ in reply to The guy needs to screw his head on ]

still can't make.

What the hell are you watching? Burrow was a system QB. Trevor is an athlete.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TL was making throws in High School that Burrow

Oct 14, 2020, 4:15 PM

Lol system QB? Can we get that system here? Yes, Burrow had a lot of NFL talent at his disposal, but the amount of people on here constantly trying to discredit him because they're butt-hurt that we lost the championship game is comical. Burrow is a great QB who needed some time to develop, and took off like a rocket after he got that time. Yes Lawrence seemed more ready to go out of high school, but ultimately that doesn't make him better or worse than Burrow at the moment. It will be several years before anybody can offer a valid opinion on that. What Burrow is doing in the NFL right now, if you'd bother to watch, is borderline miraculous considering how often he gets drilled. They had him mic'd up last week, and his reel was basically just a series of grunts as he got planted into the turf.

Oct 14, 2020, 4:57 PM

If you came to Tigernet for reasoned discussion, you definitely came to the wrong place. Burrow was absolutely incredible last year. It was probably the best season a QB has ever had. And while he had a lot of talent, I don't know that it was better than the talent Clemson had (ETN was much better than their back, offensive lines were comparable, and personally I'd take Higgins, Ross, and Rodgers over their three. Tight End clearly went to Burrow because Moss was much better than Galloway or Chalk). While it was an outlier, Trevor played terribly last year in that game. Our defense couldn't do anything against LSU after Brady made adjustments and it was primarily because of Burrow.

In my biased opinion, I think Lawrence's potential is higher than Burrow because he has more of the measurables and is two years younger. But it's crazy to say they're not even close, considering Burrow was better than him last year and nothing I've seen this year makes me think anything's changed. I think the two, if their teams can build around them, have a real chance to be the next Brady/Manning rivalry.

Joe Burrow will be 24 years old in December 2020. Trevor

Oct 14, 2020, 6:25 PM

just turned 21 this week. Burrow was in his 5th season post high school in 2019, Trever was in his second season in 2019.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2020, 7:05 AM [ in reply to Re: TL was making throws in High School that Burrow ]

LSU ran a more complex route pattern than we did last year. More crossing patterns, and combination routes. Burrow did an amazing job of going through progressions, making the right decision, and delivering accurate passes.

In the NCG, Trevor got quick with his reads as the game progressed. High throws, locking in on receivers, missing open targets.

This year has already shown improvement in Trevor's game management. He's not depending on one guy, and distributing the ball to all sections of the field.

I also think Tony Elliott is calling a better mix of plays. As we've seen in the past, early season games do not have the full playbook.

I do think that the conclusion of this season, after another Nat Championship, will be a better time to compare the two.

My comparison for Trevor has always been more Drew Bledsoe, than Vinny Testeverde

Oct 15, 2020, 8:51 AM

Agree on the last part and Trevor isn't color blind either.

I'll tell you what

Oct 15, 2020, 7:19 AM [ in reply to Re: TL was making throws in High School that Burrow ]

If you were a GM for any team in the NFL and took any of those 3 over Lawrence you would lose your job.

Re: TNET: ESPN analysts argue if Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow aren't "even close" in potential

Oct 14, 2020, 12:39 PM

???????

How many years did it take for Joey to have the season he had? How many coordinators did he work with until he finally started doing what he did last year?

Yes Joe Burrow had a very good year last year however Trevor has been performing at a high level since high school and hasn’t slowed down. Trevor lead with high character and doesn’t show up the opposition. The same cannot be said about Joey. Good luck to both guys but I 100% Trevor is and will be the better player and person which matters too.

If Trevor stays healthy he will be at least top 3 ever over

Oct 14, 2020, 12:47 PM

His career.

It will matter where he is drafted. Trevor is not even close to his potential, the part most don’t see is he is a relentless worker on his craft. The bigger the pressure the better he is competing at a high level, you can’t teach that!

It’s like a show horse who thrives against competition, Trevor is a winner chicken dinner! (Coots under bus reference)

I hope and pray DJ is soaking it in. I love his competitive nature too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Can't totally disagree. The # of coaches joe had...

Oct 14, 2020, 1:08 PM

... or how long it took him to develop has nothing to do with how good he was last year. He was one of the best ever, and I'd bet he'll be one of the best in the NFL. Now.... TREVOR.... he gets better every year, we've seen that. So no reason to think he wouldn't continue getting better at the next level, and surpass Burrow pretty quickly.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Fyi. NFL QBR ratings right now

Oct 14, 2020, 1:11 PM

Out of 32 ranked positions
#8 B Mayfield
#14 K Murray
#19 D Watson

And bringing up the rear

#30 J Burrow

.,. My bad. Burrow is better than D Haskins

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fyi. NFL QBR ratings right now

Oct 14, 2020, 3:12 PM

How is DW4 that high with the Oline consisting of only halfhearted polite suggestions? Wow, I was expecting worse.

Oct 14, 2020, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Fyi. NFL QBR ratings right now ]

Nobody would take Mayfield over Burrow. Burrow will be a good one.

Oct 14, 2020, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Fyi. NFL QBR ratings right now ]

The fact that Baker is so high up tells you how unreliable QBR is. He basically hasn't had to do anything all year because of how great their run game is. Burrow on the other hand is being asked to chuck it 40+ times per game behind a screen door O-line, generally while they're trailing because of how terrible their defense is.

Burrow = Sam Darnold***

Oct 14, 2020, 1:16 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Burrow = Sam Darnold***

Oct 14, 2020, 1:22 PM

Those corn-dogs just aren’t the same!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Burrow is probably already better than Darnold right now

Oct 14, 2020, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Burrow = Sam Darnold*** ]

Darnold has had horrible coaching with the Jets though.

Re: TNET: ESPN analysts argue if Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow aren't "even close" in potential

Oct 14, 2020, 2:09 PM

How is this even controversial. The NFL GM said Lawrence has more potential than those others. Why would he not? He is taller, stronger, as fast or faster than the mobile two, has a better arm, is more accurate than all but Burrow and has lost exactly 1 game as a starting QB in College.

Clark is a known LSU homer and for Howard to talk about only Saturday Nights scoring passes is BS. Tlaw routinely makes throws from hash to hash that no other College QBs make.

Oct 14, 2020, 2:12 PM

Maybe they will both be great.

Oct 14, 2020, 3:32 PM

Trevor did as a freshan what Joe Burrow did as a fourth or fifth year player, so sorry Ryan and Desmond ..... he is better than Burrow!

Desmond must still be mad about the Kelly Bryant and Power

Oct 14, 2020, 4:37 PM

Run situations...

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Oct 14, 2020, 5:20 PM

No one yet knows how well or how long Trevor will play in the NFL. Trevor has the size, the arm, the athleticism and the head to be successful at the next level. I hope he is.

Those little ESPN segments operate exactly like skits. Each person knows the role he is supposed to play, gets his or her lines down, then tries to act like he is giving his own opinion when he's simply playing a role. If your role is to agree with that Lawrence is the best ever, that's what you do. If you're supposed to disagree, that's what you do. This approach pleases the widest audience, those pro Lawrence, those pro Burrow. If your role is to tell a joke, you do and then all the other guys yuk it up.

Gameday operates the same way. The format is old and stale. If you can't guess what guy #2 is going to say, you have not been paying attention.

I hope Trevor can play and win 10 more games for Clemson. If he wins 2 Nattys, there will be no questions about who was the best college QB. EVER.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2020, 5:35 PM

Clark, "what he did in the Miami game was lead the league in throwing screens to very talented players"

It worked, you take what they give you, and it was a huge part of the game plan going in. "Not even close" is extreme, but he did say "potential."

However, as was pointed out, those segments may not be scripted, but they are at least discussed ahead of taping. It would be even more boring than it already is, if the other 2 said "yep your right."

Oct 14, 2020, 6:35 PM

Burrow is certainly a big time QB and anyone who says that he isn’t either doesn’t have a clue about football or they are extremely biased. With that said, TL is certainly his equal. The LSU v CU game came down to coaching more than QB play. LSU was clearly on top in that matchup. I expect both guys to have good NFL careers and the one with the best coaching will prevail. Likely they both will.

We would all like to know the numbers that TL would have now if he had played in a system that allowed him to finish games. The numbers would be staggering.

Easy discussion. One year wonders, vs career.

Oct 14, 2020, 8:01 PM

Burrow had great year. But when he was a freshman sitting on the pines, Lawrence was spanking bama by 28.

My order
Lawrence
Burrow
Murray
Mayfield.

All have skills, but talent is Lawrence.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Easy discussion. One year wonders, vs career.

Oct 14, 2020, 8:23 PM

I agree with your order. Trevor has the highest upside and Baker the lowest.

Oct 15, 2020, 12:05 AM

Trying to be the voice of reason here ... true or false:

https://twitter.com/DCDining/status/1316588201583222786

If false, then why?

Oct 15, 2020, 12:28 AM

And this:

https://twitter.com/DCDining/status/1316596519160684544

Oct 16, 2020, 6:01 PM

I understand that Joe Burrow is now a great quarterback, but he wasn't for the first four years of his college experience.
He was not the starting quarterback at Ohio State for the three years that he was there (including redshirt year), and was underwhelming his first year at LSU. So, at 23 years old, he was discovered to be a great quarterback. I have to think much of that had to do with the 13 other NFL drafted players in that class.
Trevor Lawrence was judged the best high school player in many years by many analysts. He has lost one game in his time at Clemson. He has the attributes that will make him a great NFL quarterback according to many NFL analysts.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic