Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Deshaun Watson on the term "Dual-Threat"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 67
| visibility 1

Deshaun Watson on the term "Dual-Threat"

Aug 18, 2016, 1:32 PM

I love Deshaun, but I don't like this one bit:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/deshaun-watson-dual-threat-is-%E2%80%98code-word%E2%80%99-for-black-quarterback/ar-BBvMloC?li=BBnb7Kz

He may be right to an extent and to a certain degree - with some people, but I think he's stereotyping people and their thoughts as badly as he thinks black QBs are stereotyped. After all, what did we call Johnny Manziel?

I just wish that had not been said - by him.

My flame suit is on and ready for the blowback...... remember, I'm the one who first said that we should give up recruiting Robert Nkemdiche.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Deshaun Watson on the term "Dual-Threat"

Aug 18, 2016, 1:34 PM

I agree with you

Aug 18, 2016, 5:25 PM

You think maybe he's referencing that dumb a$$ Mcshay saying Kaaya was a more NFL ready QB a couple days ago. Kaaya not on the same planet as DW4. Go Tigers! DW4 is a class act and represents CU well, no problem what so ever with him speaking his mind.

Aug 18, 2016, 1:37 PM

Right or wrong he has the right to speak his mind and he knows more about QBs being stereotyped since he is well the best QB in the nation. Nothing about DW says that he would just make this up.

Aug 18, 2016, 1:45 PM

I'm sure he didn't mean for this to get blown up the way it has. It's already being talked about on other sport shows. I guess with all the interviews he has been doing, something he said was bound to get blown out of proportion. The kid was just saying what he felt and I'm sure this will be a lesson to him about being to "open" with reporters. I'm sure he's the same old Deshaun we all know.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2016, 1:44 PM

I think he is referring to NFL scouts automatically classifying him as a dual threat qb because he is black and a pocket passser qb is what the NFL wants. Agree he should let his playing do the talking. Bet all this media hype is putting pressure on him too.

His comments were well thought out and well spoken but

Aug 18, 2016, 1:46 PM

I disagree with his assessment.

There are just too many examples to have such a broad stroke.

Alex Smith
Johnny Manzel
Marcus Marriotta
Tim Tebow
Chad Kelly
** and plenty more

There are also examples like Teddy Bridgewater, Geno Smith, Trevone Boykin, and others listed as Pro-style QBs

Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach, etc.***

Aug 18, 2016, 2:24 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Roger Staubach? Com'on now. I was a huge Dallas fan

Aug 18, 2016, 7:29 PM

back when he played. That's a huuuuuge stretch.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahem.. Excuse me but...

Aug 18, 2016, 2:42 PM [ in reply to His comments were well thought out and well spoken but ]

Teddy Bridgewater was labeled a dual-threat QB: https://bustedcoverage.com/2013/08/24/espn-teddy-bridgewater-is-a-dual-threat-qb-frats-want-your-daughter/

Geno Smith was labeled a dual-threat QB: http://247sports.com/Player/Geno-Smith-7676?PlayerInstitution=21930

Trevone Boykin was also labeled a dual threat QB: http://www.wvillustrated.com/story/27171820/tcu-dual-threat-qb-boykin-nothing-new-to-wvu-defense

See a pattern yet? DW4 was spot on.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no pattern. The term 'dual-threat' has been used

Aug 18, 2016, 4:06 PM

for decades to label white and black QBs. John Elway was considered a dual threat QB. Also, Steve Young, and Aaron Rodgers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The term "dual-threat" wasn't used to describe them...

Aug 18, 2016, 4:59 PM

They were simply called Quarterbacks.

Re: The term "dual-threat" wasn't used to describe them...

Aug 18, 2016, 5:12 PM

They were described as QBs who could run and pass the ball well. It's the definition of dual-threat. Dual-threat right now is a buzz word, not a racist word.

Hers's a list of QBs labeled dual-threat.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=dual

Here's another.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2636395-power-ranking-college-footballs-best-2016-dual-threat-quarterbacks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now let's look at the 24/7 Sports list of "PRO Style" QBs.

Aug 18, 2016, 5:18 PM

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=pro

Notice a difference?

Re: Now let's look at the 24/7 Sports list of "PRO Style" QBs.

Aug 18, 2016, 5:28 PM

Sure - but are you really trying to prove to me that the term - or label - 'dual-threat' is racist. The labels are based on the type of talent you display on the field. I'm not even sure why the color of a QBs skin matters --- like somehow the folks discussing it are responsible for a QBs ability to run or pass, or both. It's insane.

If you want to break it down by color ... based on the lists its apparent that more black QBs than white QBs are labeled dual-threat, can run and pass well. More white QBs than black QBs are labeled pro-style, are good pocket passers.

I still fail to see how the term is racist.

DWs issue is that throughout his life, people assumed he was a run first QB, and he wasn't. He is a passer who can also run. DUAL-THREAT does not mean run first.

Except for a certain Blackman who throws a monkey wrench

Aug 18, 2016, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Now let's look at the 24/7 Sports list of "PRO Style" QBs. ]

into you're argument ;). JK

You've made a good point. And not to sound racist here, but it does seem like a disproportionate amount of good black QBs are also great running athletes too. For this reason, I see both sides on this one.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Except for a certain Blackman who throws a monkey wrench

Aug 18, 2016, 7:35 PM

"it does seem like a disproportionate amount of good black QBs are also great running athletes too"

And how is that a bad thing - or something to be turned into a racism discussion? How does it even make sense to say that there are more black quarterbacks who are dual-threat (more athletic and skilled), and there are more white pro-style QBs (more limited and less skilled), and that equals racism???

It's disproportionate because apparently the dual-threat guys are more athletic than the pro-style guys? And that's racist? I'd like to know what racist forced all of those black guys to be more athletic.

That was my point

Aug 18, 2016, 7:44 PM

If you're be objective then you have to admit that black people are proportionately better athletes. I don't think that's a racist comment but I am sure some would disagree with me. I hope not though because I am not a racist.

Re: That was my point

Aug 18, 2016, 8:10 PM

Overall, it would be easy to conclude that - not just in college football - but in many sports. Basketball comes to mind. I am with you though. I fail to see how drawing such a conclusion is racist.

Is there a politically correct term for "dual threat".....

Aug 18, 2016, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Re: The term "dual-threat" wasn't used to describe them... ]

...just askin.

Quarterback? At least that's what I called Steve Young.

Aug 18, 2016, 5:25 PM

And he was as mobile as anyone.

As mobile as Vick or Danzler?

Aug 18, 2016, 7:30 PM

nah.

It WAS'NT well thought out though...Moments after saying

Aug 18, 2016, 4:12 PM [ in reply to His comments were well thought out and well spoken but ]

Dual Threat is a racist code word, he describes himself as a DUAL THREAT QB

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You failed reading comprehension, didn't you?***

Aug 18, 2016, 5:00 PM

no...no I did not***

Aug 19, 2016, 12:17 AM

I would like a black persons take on this. Not a white person.

Aug 18, 2016, 1:48 PM

I can't relate to racial profiling.

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

Re: I would like a black persons take on this. Not a white person.

Aug 18, 2016, 8:15 PM

I'm Black and my take on it is this: I think Deshaun is irritated about how some NFL scouts and reporters being more impressed at his ability to run instead of his accuracy from the pocket. I think he is fighting against the stereotype of Black Quarterbacks not being as capable as their white counterparts to handle the mental aspects of playing from the pocket, such as reading defenses and processing information quickly. He feels being branded "athletic" is code for "running back playing quarterback" and he clearly sees himself as just a quarterback.

Aug 18, 2016, 10:04 PM [ in reply to I would like a black persons take on this. Not a white person. ]

this entire "profiling" mess is just plain OFF THE TABLE!! profiling is THE BEST TOOL that law enforcement has so those that want to get away with their crimes hate profiling!The demos that love crooks hate it also because it puts their voters in jail where they belong! EVERYBODY profiles in everything they do! When U compare things U profile! I bought 2 rib-eyes for tomorrow night. how did I make the selection by PROFILING! when I met my wife she looked good- I PROFILED again. When I bought my pick-up I looked @ about 10 used pick-ups until I PROFILED and made my selection!All of U can raise hell all U want but none of us will ever escape PROFILING!~!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2016, 2:10 AM

You're an idiot.

Warren Moon wasn't exactly a "Dual Threat".....***

Aug 18, 2016, 1:48 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Warren Moon wasn't exactly a "Dual Threat".....***

Aug 18, 2016, 1:51 PM

Warren Moon also had to go play in the CFL because the NFL GMs and coaches tried to make him a DB because he was black

that was decades ago***

Aug 18, 2016, 4:13 PM

he's a dual threat QB whether he likes it or not.....

Aug 18, 2016, 1:52 PM

and it's not b/c he's black.

i understand what he's trying to say, but it is making a big deal out of something that's not a big deal..........or at least wasn't until now

Aug 18, 2016, 1:59 PM

The way I see it is he doesn't like the "run first QB" label. Not so much the Dual-Threat.

Aug 18, 2016, 2:02 PM

DW4 is way off on this. For one, there have been many white duel threat qb's and there have been many black pocket passers. I don't have to name them, you guys know.

Second, you can't rush for over 1000 yards almost every year you have ever been a full time starter and not be labeled a duel threat qb. If there was ever a true duel threat qb, it's Watson. Being labeled duel threat doesn't mean you are a "run first" qb, it means you can pass AND run.

And last, he should let his play do the talking and let the media talk about this crap. He has been a model athlete while he's been at Clemson, but he stepped out of bounds on this one, in my opinion. No way this should have been talked about publicly 2 weeks before his last college season.

What I really hope he doesn't do is change his game to where he's a completely different player just so people think of him as a "pocket passer". All he needs to do is be himself and he will play in the NFL for a decade.

I have to disagree

Aug 18, 2016, 7:40 PM

QBs don't run the zone-read too much in the NFL. The reason is that you can't take the pounding on a typical QB body and last 10 years in the NFL. Most NFL RBs don't even last that long.

This is what bothers Deshaun

Aug 18, 2016, 2:04 PM

This isn't about how many examples you can come up with that "disprove" his feelings on this issue. As he points out in his quote, this is about his personal experience of how he has been treated since before high school. There have been too many baffling examples like this one below to think there isn't something to what he is saying:

https://bustedcoverage.com/2013/08/24/espn-teddy-bridgewater-is-a-dual-threat-qb-frats-want-your-daughter/

Re: This is what bothers Deshaun

Aug 18, 2016, 2:18 PM

Great post. People are making it seem as if there are no merit to his claim as fans we have to realize players are people and not just robot athletes they have thoughts and opinions and have a right to express them.

He's going to have to get over what ever bothers him.......

Aug 18, 2016, 2:32 PM [ in reply to This is what bothers Deshaun ]

because the FACT is.........he IS a "pass first DUAL THREAT" QB.....that happens to be black and if he doesn't think so he needs check the history books under the 4000 pass/1000 rush QBs column and tell us what he should be "labeled" as.

LOL***

Aug 18, 2016, 2:43 PM [ in reply to This is what bothers Deshaun ]

Dual Threat is a compliment right?

Aug 18, 2016, 2:12 PM

It means you are good at two important things instead of just one. I guess calling someone a triple threat would be classified as a hate crime.

A single threat must be reserved for white people. And a no-threat is like a pure blue-eyed German baby. Someone who is a threat to himself has no pigment whatsoever. That's the worst.

"Racism" is just a code word for "stuff black people don't necessarily like."

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dual Threat is a compliment right?

Aug 18, 2016, 2:26 PM

"Racism" is just a code word for "stuff black people
> don't necessarily like."

You are Completely Solid Ignorant and I bet you would not say that to DW's face. He has done more for Clemson than you ever will.

That may be...doesn't mean he's right all the time though***

Aug 18, 2016, 3:43 PM

It's not directed at him, it's directed society's overuse

Aug 18, 2016, 7:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Dual Threat is a compliment right? ]

of the term. It's become meaningless.

The flip side of that is the term "possession receiver".***

Aug 18, 2016, 2:23 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^Precisely^^^^***

Aug 18, 2016, 2:32 PM

I'm not sure if it's the flip side or the same thing

Aug 18, 2016, 4:56 PM [ in reply to The flip side of that is the term "possession receiver".*** ]

but you're correct - it lives in the same house.

A very long time ago, I was a HB and/or flanker in T-formation and a SS/TE in single wing. I could burn a DB in, out or deep all day long, but I was also the guy who would feint deep, break it off in a LB or CB and go over the middle and catch the first down throw for 4 yards or so. Today, such a player is called a "possession receiver". Hunter Renfrow is one - whether he's in the slot or out wide. Dwayne Allen was one from the TE or 3-Back spot. Both could beat you deep in their own way.

I would have been proud to have been called a "possession receiver" and if accused of such, would have answered "You dang right I am!" And if I could have played QB well enough to be called a "dual threat" QB, I would have been proud of that as well. I would have just smiled and asked the other team "How do you want your medicine?".

You just don't get it...

Aug 18, 2016, 2:31 PM

The "dual-threat" label gets slapped on almost every black QB coming out of High School. They don't even take the time to look at the QB's skill set before using that label. DW4 is stating that the term is being used as a code, and it generally implies that the QB is a "run first guy who can't sit in the pocket and go through his progressions".

It is true that some white QBs are considered dual-threat QBs, but the point is the large majority of black QBs are getting the label by default.

Side Note: The same thing happens to white guys who play WR. They automatically get labeled "slot guys" before anyone actually takes a look at their skill set.

He's right.

Aug 18, 2016, 2:35 PM

Deal with it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2016, 2:35 PM

This whole thing is interesting to me. I'm not sure he would even argue with the thought that he is infact a dual-threat QB... But I don't think that's his point. I'm just trying to figure out what side of it he's angling for moving forward. Is it that he doesn't want to be labeled something that carries (or used to) some negative connotation in the NFL? Or is it more of something that has bothered him from his peewee football days? If he's trying to relabel himself for the nfl guys, I personally think he's wasting time on a pointless battle... Pro-style QBs don't get paid any more than a dual threat. If it's something that has bothered him for a long time I think that's probably more valid. Admittedly, I haven't done much talking about any pre-high school football players- I can't imagine any peewee football QB NOT being a dual threat QB and I would probably laugh at anyone referring to a peewee QB as pro-style. So if that's what we're talking about- I could understand the frustration where the black QBs were called dual threat and the white QBs were just called QBs.

Great point about Manziel...

Aug 18, 2016, 3:15 PM

and who is his big hero anyway? Cam, the dual-threat QB who just played in the Super Bowl and is swinging the world by the tail with about a gazillion bucks in the bank.

Perhaps some would extrapolate that the "dual-threat" label is a sneaky way of saying the QB has to rely on the run because of a deficiency in the passing game. I'd say that's a lot more true for Manziel than for DW or Cam. Ultimately the proof is in the pudding. DW has proven his ability to thread the needle and drop it in a bucket from 30+ yards away... I'm not sure what he's concerned about. NFL scouts are paying attention to what he's doing.

Johnson is a PRO style QB

Aug 18, 2016, 3:20 PM

Like the top 11 PRO style QB's he is white.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=PRO

Johnson was also among the most athletic QBs at the opening

Aug 18, 2016, 3:26 PM

Still labeled as a Pro style QB. Maybe he is why Deshaun made the comments. He is sticking up for himself and Hunter Johnson. They are very similar players with very similar skills as Dabo says in the early signers article.

Why would they be listed differently?

Aug 18, 2016, 3:30 PM

I kind of understand where he is coming from but from a statistics point of view he is. He rushed for a 1000 yards and passed for 4000. Which makes him duel threat. He can beat you 2 ways is what it means. I think of Brady and Peyton as pro style. No one will ever think hey its a good idea for those guys to run consistently. Now I do think that watson can be whatever type qb he and his team needs. When he makes the nfl if his team wants to be a pocket passer he can be,or if they want a duel threat he can be that. I would take it as a compliment that's he can beat you anyway he chooses.

I kind of understand where he is coming from but from a statistics point of view he is. He rushed for a 1000 yards and passed for 4000. Which makes him duel threat. He can beat you 2 ways is what it means. I think of Brady and Peyton as pro style. No one will ever think hey its a good idea for those guys to run consistently. Now I do think that watson can be whatever type qb he and his team needs. When he makes the nfl if his team wants to be a pocket passer he can be,or if they want a duel threat he can be that. I would take it as a compliment that's he can beat you anyway he chooses.

I love hearing him talk. He's so articulate.***

Aug 18, 2016, 3:38 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

niiiice***

Aug 18, 2016, 3:42 PM

I think he has confused the term Dual Threat with the term

Aug 18, 2016, 3:41 PM

Run First...I would think Dual Threat would be a compliment

I called Howie Manziel a "thug" but I didn't know that was

Aug 18, 2016, 5:27 PM

a racial slur. I did, however, get my chit straight concerning DW4:

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=19381786

Howie Mandel is a thug?***

Aug 18, 2016, 10:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Johnny. To me yes he very much is a thug***

Aug 18, 2016, 11:36 PM

well go tell that to Deshaun if that's how you feel***

Aug 18, 2016, 5:48 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: well go tell that to Deshaun if that's how you feel***

Aug 18, 2016, 8:54 PM

I did, if he reads T-Net, but I would be glad to tell him personally - but I'll bet Dabo Swinney has already told him.

DW4 is more of an Omni-Threat QB anyway. No big deal.

Aug 18, 2016, 7:22 PM

He's got a beautiful arm, great pocket presence, outstanding running instincts, top of the line smarts when it comes to reading a defensive formation, will outwork anyone in preparation, handles pressure like it was the air we breathe, and sets an amazing example for everyone around him as a teammate, a student, and a man, among other outstanding traits.

DW4 has far more than two ways to lead his team to victory.

Aug 18, 2016, 7:24 PM

Swag Kelly is black?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

As much as he wants to be, nope.***

Aug 18, 2016, 7:34 PM

He is correct to an extent.

Aug 19, 2016, 2:02 AM

Might as well say he is well spoken too. That is never said about white players. Either way, Watson is a class act. He can have an opinion. I agree with him to an extent.

Replies: 67
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic