Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Depression
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Depression

Feb 24, 2013, 2:02 AM

Not sure why I have chosen this forum to discuss this but I can only hope that it speaks to someone. I have dealt with depression often during my short time on this earth. I currently work as a clinical counselor, though at times I am more of an adult babysitter than anything else.

Tonight I was approached by some friends of mine about their son whom has recently endured a very difficult time (his child was stillborn). He has since become completely dependent upon alcohol, getting drunk daily. I spoke with him tonight and gave him some advice that I truly believe in but would most likely get me fired. As a counselor we are trained to motivate and encourage our clients to "get up and do something". I thought about this for a while. I came up with something else.

As a counselor, as someone who works in this profession, I have found that this approach, the get-up-and-go attitude is counterproductive. When you are dealing with actual depression I don't feel that it is beneficial to force your body and mind into activity.

I told the person to take two days. Take two days and take to bed. Don't do anything other than get food for yourself. Literally stay in the bed for two days. Why would this work? It forces you to figure out why you feel the way you feel. It forces you to think about your situation from all angles. And it allows you to rest.

Again, not sure why I put this here. Maybe I'm hoping that someone who is struggling will see it. It just seems like too often nowadays people will pop a pill to try and deal with things as opposed to facing the real problems. Seriously, just take two days, two days for yourself.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like the approach...

Feb 24, 2013, 12:43 PM

"Get off your lazy a-s-s and get to work" is a pretty good approach, too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too - manual labor would be better for me than napping.***

Feb 24, 2013, 4:31 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

Socratic, rather than therapeutic

Feb 24, 2013, 1:28 PM

Sounds like a reform we could use

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great idea. I think someitmes people are not wiling to

Feb 24, 2013, 1:53 PM

listen to themselves or God (if you are a believer). We all need some quiet time at times to figure out where we are going.

Message was edited by: wtrskitiger®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic