Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Denver trip
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Denver trip

Feb 12, 2013, 8:24 AM

Thinking about making a trip, no more than a week long, to Denver to check out the place. Any recommendations on stuff to do, places to stay, did you like the city? I've only had a layover at the airport and I know that's a good ways from the city.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never really spent time in the city

Feb 12, 2013, 8:36 AM

But about an hour north there's Rocky Mountain national park. Tons of wildlife and and great views of the mountains. You can drive on a paved road all the way to the top which is something like 12,000 ft above sea level. I'm pretty sure it's closed until spring because of the snow tho

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks***

Feb 12, 2013, 9:19 AM

Get away from the city

Feb 12, 2013, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Never really spent time in the city ]

Think in terms of Estes Park, or Colorado springs, or Boulder. All beautiful places. Estes Park has a road at like 13,000 ft. but it's closed in the winter.

Re: Get away from the city

Feb 12, 2013, 9:49 AM

I live in Denver. It depends on what you like to do and what time of year you are here. When you sort out a time let me know and I'll give you some ideas.

that would be mt. evans., highest paved road in the u.s.. we

Feb 12, 2013, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Never really spent time in the city ]

went up in july and there was still some snow in some places where direct sunlight didn't hit, honestly, we would look down on mountain goats.also, you will love the lightning storms in the denver area( from a safe place, of course)- sky to ground strikes all the time, amazing sight. i lived in aurora from 90-91 (military assignment), and i could retire there(colorado)in a second, if they would move clemson up there. p.s. don't drink coors, it may taste a little funny, 'nuf said about that :)also, don't wear a tie in traildusters (or something close to that) steak house, they will cut it off (or did), but they would hang up your business card up for doing it.

Message was edited by: sgt tiger®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been to Denver, very nice city

Feb 12, 2013, 10:00 AM

It's pretty laid back and there's plenty to do. I'd recommend that you hit some of the national parks and get some sight seeing in though.

You can always catch a Rockies game or tour the Coors brewery within the city too.

What are you interested in?

Feb 12, 2013, 10:02 AM

Denver has a good art museum US Mint, and fair zoo. If you want to see nature Estes Park is good. Colorado Springs has the Air Force Academy Pikes Peak, and Garden of the Gods. Golden has the Coors Brewery and if you continue west on I-70 you will go through some old mining towns (Idaho Springs and Georgetown) on the way to Frisco, Breckenridge, or Vail. Go west of Colorado Springs about 25 miles and you will come to my place. I strongly recommend the Wolf Preserve especially now with snow on the ground. In early October if we have had some rain the drive to Cripple Creek and down Gold Camp Road to Colorado Springs is spectacular.

I don't like Denver itself, too many people and almost all liberals. Tmail me if you want more ideas or specifics.

Re: Denver trip

Feb 12, 2013, 10:09 AM

I love Denver... But what are your interests? I, myself, am a beer connoisseur and Denver is a perfect place to drink many local brews as well as national brands. Obviously its a big sports city, so depending on the time there is some good pro sports to see. Outdoors wise the oppurtunities are endless my friend.. Also, a lot of live music venues, arts, and shows. I dont think you can go wrong in Denver. My .02...

Feb 12, 2013, 10:11 AM

I second Rocky Mountain National Park. I went out that way a few years ago and really enjoyed Colorado. Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is really interesting. Also, Pikes Peak is near Colorado Springs. There are a lot of good breweries out there if you are a beer aficionado. I graduate from Clemson in May and I am trying to find a job in the Colorado Springs area.

Denver Mint is a good stop

Feb 12, 2013, 11:37 AM

Cool place and all that money ..

Feb 12, 2013, 1:55 PM

I was stationed at what used to be Lowry AFB outside Denver, and then down at what used to Falcon AFB near C. Springs.

I'm not sure what's still there town-wise as far as what you want to do, but I do know the mountains are always there. I highly recommend that you get up in 'em. Very, very beautiful, VERY different than the Blue Ridge. The Appalachians are but hills, my man.
You'll notice a big difference in the mountains between those of Estes Park, and those down by C. Springs. There's more iron or something in the rock down south, so you get big, gray snowcapped rock up north, and a neat reddish, crumbly rock down south. Check out the big ORANGE rock formations at Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Your Clemson shirt will match them well ;)

Feb 12, 2013, 2:27 PM

Been holding out for the legalization of the funny stuff?

;)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic