Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Don't Feel Sorry for the Airlines"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

"Don't Feel Sorry for the Airlines"

Mar 17, 2020, 3:21 PM

I'm going to guess that the author and I disagree on more things political than we agree on, but I've gotta give him a high five on this one. I'm on board with 95% of this piece....you want assistance, stop milking us for every dime while not giving a tin #$%^ about the customer experience.

Link included, and I'm C&P'ing in case it's stuck behind paywall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/opinion/airlines-bailout.html

For American Airlines, the nation’s largest airline, the mid to late 2010s were what the Bible calls “years of plenty.”

In 2014, having reduced competition through mergers and raised billions of dollars in new baggage-fee revenue, American began reaching stunning levels of financial success. In 2015, it posted a $7.6 billion profit — compared, for example, to profits of about $500 million in 2007 and less than $250 million in 2006. It would continue to earn billions in profit annually for the rest of the decade. “I don’t think we’re ever going to lose money again,” the company’s chief executive, Doug Parker, said in 2017.

There are plenty of things American could have done with all that money. It could have stored up its cash reserves for a future crisis, knowing that airlines regularly cycle through booms and busts. It might have tried to decisively settle its continuing contract disputes with pilots, flight attendants and mechanics. It might have invested heavily in better service quality to try to repair its longstanding reputation as the worst of the major carriers.

Instead, American blew most of its cash on a stock buyback spree. From 2014 to 2020, in an attempt to increase its earnings per share, American spent more than $15 billion buying back its own stock. It managed, despite the risk of the proverbial rainy day, to shrink its cash reserves. At the same time it was blowing cash on buybacks, American also began to borrow heavily to finance the purchase of new planes and the retrofitting of old planes to pack in more seats. As early as 2017 analysts warned of a risk of default should the economy deteriorate, but American kept borrowing. It has now accumulated a debt of nearly $30 billion, nearly five times the company’s current market value.

At no time during its years of plenty did American improve how it treats its customers. Change fees went up to $200 for domestic flights and to $750 for international. Its widely despised baggage fees were hiked to $30 and $40 for first and second bags. These higher fees yielded billions of dollars, yet did not help the airline improve its on-time arrivals, reduce tarmac delays or prevent involuntary bumping. Instead, American’s main “innovations” were the removal of screens from its planes, the reduction of bathroom and seat sizes and the introduction of a “basic economy” class that initially included a ban on carry-on luggage.

In the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, which is wreaking havoc on the airline industry, American Airlines has not yet asked for a bailout — at least not in so many words. Yet after a recent meeting with airline leadership, Larry Kudlow, the director of the National Economic Council, said that “certain sectors of the economy, airlines coming to mind” might require assistance. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Wednesday that the airlines, including American, would be “on the top of the list” for federal loan relief.

As the government considers what we, the public, should do for the airlines, we should ask, Just what have they done for us?

The United States economy needs an airline industry to function. The industry is in that sense not a “normal” industry, but rather what was once called a common carrier or a public utility: a critical infrastructure on which the rest of the economy relies. The major airlines know that unlike a local restaurant, they will never be allowed, collectively, to fail completely. In practice, the public has subsidized the industry by providing de facto insurance against hard times in the form of bailouts or merger approvals. And now here we go again.

We cannot permit American and other airlines to use federal assistance, whether labeled a bailout or not, to weather the coronavirus crisis and then return to business as usual. Before providing any loan relief, tax breaks or cash transfers, we must demand that the airlines change how they treat their customers and employees and make basic changes in industry ownership structure.

Beginning with passengers, change fees should be capped at $50 and baggage fees tied to some ratio of costs. The change fees don’t just irritate; they are also a drag on the broader economy, making the transport system less flexible and discouraging what would otherwise be efficient changes to travel plans. We should also put an end to the airlines’ pursuit of smaller and smaller seats, which are not only uncomfortable and even physically harmful, but also foster in-flight rage and make the job of flight attendants nigh unbearable. Finally, we have allowed too much common ownership, permitting large shareholders to take a stake in each of the major airlines, creating incentives to collude instead of compete.

The airlines will argue that their ownership structure, cramped seats, high fees and other forms of customer suffering are necessary to keep prices lower. But after the last decade’s mergers, no one should take that argument seriously. As any economist will tell you, in a market with reduced competition, and common ownership, there is limited pressure to reduce prices. Instead, as we’ve seen, the major airlines charge what they can get away with and spend the profit on stock buybacks and other self-serving enterprises.

The question of what the public should demand from an airline bailout raises questions that transcend the business of flying. The next several weeks will leave behind many economic victims, including nearly every provider of in-person services. Many small retailers, restaurants and other businesses, like caterers or fitness instructors, face grim prospects. Yet it is the economy’s big players, like banks and airlines, that are the best at asking for (and getting) government assistance.

During the last economic crisis, we largely let individuals suffer while helping out the big guys, leaving behind deep resentments that still fester. This time around we should start from the bottom instead of the top.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep, not one bit. Adding $25-50 baggage fees

Mar 17, 2020, 3:25 PM

and keep reducing knee room. f you airlines

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly, make bags free give us more room and

Mar 17, 2020, 3:47 PM

charge a couple hundred more a ticket if that's what it takes

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whoa whoa whoa, that's the free market you're going

Mar 17, 2020, 4:19 PM [ in reply to yep, not one bit. Adding $25-50 baggage fees ]

against bud; can't have that.

They charge extra because people pay extra no?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So the minute normal free market operation ceases

Mar 17, 2020, 4:29 PM

Is when they ask for a bailout. They’re subject to increased stipulations and mandates at that point.

If they never ask for a bailout then sure, they can make their baggage fees $500 and put 3 inches between rows for all I care.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whats a scok? which exit do you get off?***

Mar 17, 2020, 4:30 PM [ in reply to whoa whoa whoa, that's the free market you're going ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: whats a scok? which exit do you get off?***

Mar 17, 2020, 4:40 PM

lol, no response?

meh, i dont care enough. i just hate airlines except the SW***

Mar 17, 2020, 4:56 PM

Re: meh, i dont care enough. i just hate airlines except the SW***

Mar 17, 2020, 7:48 PM

Right but I guarantee you beat the free-market drum until it affects you personally

What's your choice?

Mar 17, 2020, 4:36 PM [ in reply to whoa whoa whoa, that's the free market you're going ]

Once one starts doing it, they all do AFAIK.

If they are taking taxpayer bailouts, it should be on the conditions that are set when they money is taken.

Like many would say of the baggage fees, never dropping the high fuel taxes from 2006, the over crowded flights, etc...if the airlines don't like the stipulations, they don't have to take the money.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's your choice?

Mar 17, 2020, 4:46 PM

yes.. precisely! Agreed on all points.

They only started baggage fees because the price of fuel went up years ago.

Mar 17, 2020, 7:34 PM [ in reply to yep, not one bit. Adding $25-50 baggage fees ]

Once it came back down, they kept the fees because everyone got used to them and they were normalized. F them

I guess just the employees.

Mar 17, 2020, 3:27 PM

But the Delta ones were flying high a month or so ago with that 3 months salary bonus.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Delta alone distributed $1.6 Billion in profit

Mar 17, 2020, 3:28 PM

To employees last year.

You profit in good years, and suffer in bad years. Just like every other business.

IMHO, I think this changes business travel forever. I think that a lot of face to face meetings that now must be handled via internet/skype/etc. will be handled that way going forward and business travel will contract even after restrictions end.

Re: Delta alone distributed $1.6 Billion in profit

Mar 17, 2020, 5:08 PM

Never will be the same. Relationships are not made that way and relationships are not kept this way. People want to be near each other, see actual mannerisms beyond your face.

Its just not the way business was meant to be conducted and it may take a couple years, but it will be back strong.

Luckily I can drive to my main client, so I am lucky in that aspect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The root of this problem goes back to Chrysler/Harley...

Mar 17, 2020, 3:55 PM

bailouts in the middle of the 1900s. While Ford, GM and foreign automaker researched and developed lighter autobodies and engines which produced less and cleaner emissions Chrysler cruised along without changing anything much.

In efforts to produce an automobile comparable to rice burners Ford and Chevy produced the Pinto and Vega respectively. To repair the damage Chrysler management did to their corporate bosses the government bailed them out and gave them R&D from the other two major US auto producers.

Harley got a chuck if change and upped taxes on Honda and other two wheeled rice burners. Both companies were rewarded for bad behavior which sent a message to huge companies that the taxpayer was there if they got themselves into a pickle with bad behavior.

Like it or not it's SOP for the US now. If I remember, Ford refused help when it got into trouble intending that government not be involved in day to day company decisions.

I don't know about anything like that happening before.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Iacocca made some world class chicken salad from chickenshet

Mar 17, 2020, 4:08 PM

With that one too. Took bailout and came out an American icon.

Nevermind that every single K-car variant that resulted was pure crap.

My family owned the vaunted Plymouth Voyager.

Mar 17, 2020, 4:26 PM

It was a maroon '84 with maroon interior sporting the most useless cupholders in automotive history.

I the 80s/90s Jeep world, that interior was referred to as

Mar 17, 2020, 4:30 PM

as Ahi Tuna.

We also had an '85 Supra with maroon interior.

Mar 17, 2020, 4:33 PM

Maroon was VERY big in our family.

I will take that useless cup holder challenge

Mar 17, 2020, 4:36 PM [ in reply to My family owned the vaunted Plymouth Voyager. ]

Ones in my Volvo 740 Turbo wagon (with a manual thank you) were equally useless, AND you had to have the glove box open to use them

K-Car vs. Mk4 Supra

Mar 17, 2020, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Iacocca made some world class chicken salad from chickenshet ]

Behold....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL_0tS-nnDs

All that for a dolla a year.***

Mar 17, 2020, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Iacocca made some world class chicken salad from chickenshet ]

After making the slant six, the 318, 383 and 426es they make that.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ford didn't take bailout money, but their hands are far from

Mar 17, 2020, 4:45 PM [ in reply to The root of this problem goes back to Chrysler/Harley... ]

clean.

They DID take 9 Billion in loans under the ATVM program in 2009,, with the promise to invest 14 Billion in "new technologies". That final payments of that loan are due in 2022.

I get the sentiment and agree with a good bit of it....

Mar 17, 2020, 4:45 PM

however, we need to also factor in the overall economic impact and even national security impact of leading a decent part of our airline industry fail.

Business travel and leisure travel drives a good part of the economy

There is a lot of express freight that gets shipped on commercial flights

In a major war, our military uses US commercial airlines for troop transport

I would like to see something that is more federally backed loan versus free bailout.

Re: I get the sentiment and agree with a good bit of it....

Mar 17, 2020, 4:47 PM

Agreed, there should be some type of stipulation for taking the bailout.

Loans was my first though too.

Mar 17, 2020, 4:53 PM [ in reply to I get the sentiment and agree with a good bit of it.... ]

However, we should give them a floating interest rate and consideration if they don't gouge passengers when travel returns to normal and oil returns to sane prices again.

oh I’m not saying let em burn.

Mar 17, 2020, 5:17 PM [ in reply to I get the sentiment and agree with a good bit of it.... ]

Just saying that with the taking of public assistance should come the conceding to certain public demands.

I demand free drinks & fight attendant hiring based ...

Mar 17, 2020, 5:34 PM

on criteria from the 50s - 70s.

Haha, there's some old pilots that agree with your sentiment***

Mar 17, 2020, 6:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: "Don't Feel Sorry for the Airlines"- Boeing too

Mar 17, 2020, 5:47 PM

Make their execs fly on the piece of junk they said was ok even after it kept crashing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So many face eating leopards in this thread***

Mar 17, 2020, 5:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You feeling okay? Agreeing with AOC now?***

Mar 17, 2020, 9:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic