Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pope says migrant rights override national security.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 90
| visibility 1

Pope says migrant rights override national security.

Jul 5, 2018, 9:43 PM

"Migrant rights"....

This shts getting old quickly.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-migrants-pope/pope-says-migrants-rights-should-override-national-security-concerns-idUSKCN1B11RX

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pope says migrant rights override national security.

Jul 5, 2018, 10:00 PM

Jesus would have locked up their children

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2018, 12:18 AM

What do you know about Jesus?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2018, 1:29 PM

that I have more in common with him than a lot of you

Jul 8, 2018, 2:02 PM

People try to make Jesus out to be all fruity....

Jul 8, 2018, 2:09 PM

most people do not realize that he was a gun toting free market capitalist with a hard-on for tough border security.

Jul 8, 2018, 4:21 PM

He showed loved to everyone he came across but his message was always ultimately about repentance and turning to God. He certainly wasn’t about government handouts and living the way you want with no consequences.

Jul 8, 2018, 4:48 PM

he was all about hand outs, and people living the way that they want, and tough border security.

Jul 8, 2018, 4:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Pope says migrant rights override national security. ]

On this issue in particular, please read my last response on page 6. The stories and lessons in the Bible including those of Jesus are not to be taken lightly and always at face value.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2018, 10:04 PM

Wonder how he will feel if i decide to enter into his gates and take a journey into the deepest parts of the Vatican...and take whatever I feel I need since "he" has had it for so long and done nothing with it?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

^Untouchable

Jul 6, 2018, 6:14 AM

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

This is also dumb. Incredibly poor strawman argument.***

Jul 6, 2018, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Pope says migrant rights override national security. ]

It doesn't even make sense enough to be a strawman argument.***

Jul 6, 2018, 10:48 AM

But its logic is "untouchable" according to the resident PHD***

Jul 6, 2018, 10:54 AM

My "strawman" is better than yours.

Jul 6, 2018, 12:06 PM

http://www.vaticanstate.va/content/vaticanstate/en/stato-e-governo.html

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this some weird thing you guys do where you post

Jul 6, 2018, 12:55 PM

a link that weakens your original argument?

I don't understand the strategy.

Re: My "strawman" is better than yours.

Jul 6, 2018, 2:19 PM [ in reply to My "strawman" is better than yours. ]

Literally anyone can enter parts of the Vatican. There's a white line to designate the border in St. Peter's square. These parts don't have walls specifically to be welcoming.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In your anti-reality plane

Jul 6, 2018, 1:37 PM [ in reply to But its logic is "untouchable" according to the resident PHD*** ]

We wouldn't expect you to understand the equality. CNN has shot toomanywads into your ears...

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

What in the blue hell are you talking about

Jul 6, 2018, 11:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Pope says migrant rights override national security. ]

You limp wristed xenophobic freak show?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What in the blue hell are you talking about

Jul 7, 2018, 12:31 AM

:O

The problem is much worse than you think

Jul 8, 2018, 12:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Pope says migrant rights override national security. ]

I won’t bother trying to convince you you have nothing to be afraid of. Or that brown people are not trying to take your stuff. Instead I’ll simply point out the obvious. There’s a whole ‘nother group out there that you are overlooking. White people. Yes, white people have historically taken more from other peoples than any other race. Your fear is misplaced, or at the very least much too narrow in scope. All together, the situation is truly terrifying.

Re: The problem is much worse than you think

Jul 8, 2018, 12:24 AM

That statement about white people historically being more aggressive and taking more from other I than anyone else in history is BS and shows you know very little about the history of mankind.

Jul 8, 2018, 8:00 AM [ in reply to The problem is much worse than you think ]

I don't understand why you people always turn this into a racial thing. The color of their skin has nothing to do with this.

Jul 8, 2018, 10:53 AM

You would argue that we'd be having the same discussion if the source of our immigration problem was Sweden?

Jul 8, 2018, 11:00 AM

Sweden only has 9 million people ignoramus. Mexico has 140 million plus another 50 million here. Why should the US have to take up Mexico's slack? If these people could create a government and culture that didn't require dependence on the US we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Jul 8, 2018, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: The problem is much worse than you think ]

Well people are legally allowed to come into the country everyday who are not white....

To jump to the conclusion that our efforts to secure the southern border are racially motivated either proves you have an agenda or the critical thinking skills of a monkey.

Jul 6, 2018, 6:51 AM

Of course Jesus believed in putting others before yourself and your security. Basic Christian teaching.

Jul 6, 2018, 4:28 PM

I don't remember that passage....can you tell me where to find it?

Jul 6, 2018, 4:31 PM

Most of them.

You can't possibly think Jesus was opposed to selflessness, can you?

Jul 6, 2018, 4:34 PM

I don't remember reading where Jesus said to put your safety in jeopardy for the sake of others.

Jul 6, 2018, 5:42 PM

What do you think it means to turn to one the other cheek?

Jul 6, 2018, 5:51 PM

Do you think it means to stand there while you're being beaten?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2018, 6:12 PM

It doesn't "mean" that as in "it can be interpreted that way." It says it explicitly.

And there are plenty of verses about selflessness that prove jhop wrong. Christians are clearly to value service to others as more important than our own security.

From Acts:
But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself.

From Philippians:
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

From Luke:
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return

From John:
Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

Jul 6, 2018, 6:15 PM

Jhop, cu17 will meet you at market commons. He'll stand there and allow you to beat him to a pulp. ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2018, 6:28 PM

Then you explain what it means

Jul 6, 2018, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Pope says migrant rights override national security. ]

From Acts:
But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself.

In this passage Paul was speaking with fellow Christians before he went to Rome to be eventually executed. He was talking about advancing the Gospel, not dying for someone.

From Philippians:
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

The Philippian church was at odds, hindering the work of Christ. The passage this verse is from is encouraging them to be unified as Christians. Has nothing to do with personal safety....

From Luke:
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return

I'm not sure why you chose this verse but I don't think anybody considers immigrants to be enemies. From all accounts they are being provided food, shelter, and medical attention. You can't just let people flood across the border.

From John:
Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

You've taken this one WAY out of context. To love one's life here and now and focus only on earthly treasures is to lose what ultimately matters....which is salvation.

Jul 6, 2018, 7:00 PM

You think everything in the Bible is so literal that it can't be applied in other contexts, don't you?

Jul 6, 2018, 7:50 PM

I think you're a bit confused about what the Bible actually is. It's not a book of one liners. It's a collection of books....some are biographies (The Gospels), some are historical narratives (Genesis, Exodus,Acts), most of the New Testament is made up of letters, and several other literary genres.

It absolutely has to be read in context. It can be applied across thousands of years and every culture on earth and that's what is amazing about it but in order to understand what the writer was trying to get across you have to consider the context it was written in like anything else....

Jul 6, 2018, 10:27 PM

You're arguing that the Bible does not teach selflessness. I'm not the one who doesn't understand how to read the Bible.

Jul 8, 2018, 12:29 AM

Au contraire.

Jul 6, 2018, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Pope says migrant rights override national security. ]

Jhop83® said:

I don't remember that passage....can you tell me where to find it?

Maybe he started here:

Leviticus 19:33-34; 24:22 – "When the alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.”

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2018, 5:43 PM

How are we oppressing migrants and what rights as human beings are they being denied?

From all reports they are being given food, shelter, and medical attention....

Jul 6, 2018, 5:54 PM

Even in Biblical days, migrants had to have permission to be in another nation.

There have almost always been laws against illegal immigration.

But hey, we'll take a few verses of the bible to try and prove a point without considering context or the culture of the day.

(Not a Christian but it is an issue I studied when i was a Christian) got to agree with Jhop here, fourth time ever. ??

Jul 6, 2018, 6:01 PM

You're getting smarter all the time....

Jul 8, 2018, 12:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Pope says migrant rights override national security. ]

So how is the USA oppressing illegal immigrants? Don't answer it. It'll just be more of your relentless BS.

So you support federal policy/law based on Christian...

Jul 6, 2018, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Pope says migrant rights override national security. ]

teachings?

You sure?

Re: So you support federal policy/law based on Christian...

Jul 6, 2018, 10:07 PM

As a general matter, no. I never said such a thing. We're talking about the Pope. What he said today is basic Christian teaching. It should be neither surprising nor shocking that this is his position.

Trump names Pence Pope! That might work.***

Jul 6, 2018, 7:39 AM

In fairness, the Bible does speak pretty strongly about how

Jul 6, 2018, 7:43 AM

we should treat the sojourner.

But the Bible wasn't written in our times.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So maybe be consistent and drop the rest of it?***

Jul 6, 2018, 9:35 AM

Oh well if the Pope says it... He’s like a Kardashian

Jul 6, 2018, 8:19 AM

at this point. He’s just a politically correct social activist that hijacked the Catholic church’s Platform.

Re: Oh well if the Pope says it... He’s like a Kardashian

Jul 6, 2018, 8:30 AM

What? What he said is Christianity 101.

Yet he has a pretty fancy WALL around Vatican City***

Jul 6, 2018, 8:43 AM

Re: Yet he has a pretty fancy WALL around Vatican City***

Jul 6, 2018, 10:00 AM

He doesn't want a calzone truck on every corner or Renaissance artists taking all the good jobs.

You guys are smarter than this right?

Jul 6, 2018, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Yet he has a pretty fancy WALL around Vatican City*** ]

Is this what passes for critical thought?

Re: You guys are smarter than this right?

Jul 6, 2018, 10:11 AM

they have a point, if religion is a BS institution based entirely on hypocrisy, then the new normal got here long before trump.

Im curious as to why you think this argument is so absurd?***

Jul 6, 2018, 1:44 PM [ in reply to You guys are smarter than this right? ]

null

A 100 acre tourist attraction with a population of

Jul 7, 2018, 1:18 AM

1,000 being compared to the US? It’s truly a mystery.

Of course. Still, the image of a man who lives in a walled country sitting

Jul 7, 2018, 10:21 AM

of a couple hundred billion dollars telling countries what their immigration policy should be is pretty ironic.

I must admit that this Pope is a big part of why I am no longer a practicing Catholic. He just sounds like his approach to Catholicism is premised on the governments he was exposed to in South America. I guess JP2 was the same coming from Poland but it always sounded to my young ears like it was his faith informing his politics. Of course, I’m biased.

Anyway...the reason he annoys me is that his declarations seem so political and small. Of course, I’m only reading the media’s summary of his 70+ page declaration, but when you’re talking about America, you’re talking about a country that accepts by far the most immigrants in the world, and on top of that probably has the largest illegal immigration issue in the world, and who probably donates the most money in the world (both through the government and private donations), and who still has concerns about legitimately being targeted by terrorist attack (like any western country)...but none of that is weighed in the synopsis I read. The strain on the US education system? Doesn’t matter. Again, could the Pope just take some of the billions of dollars and go ahead and educate them in the Catholic Schools? Call upon his Flock to pay for it? I guess not.

But yes, you are correct that there is no practical comparison between America and the Vatican in terms of the ability to absorb immigrants.

null

Re: You guys are smarter than this right?

Jul 6, 2018, 6:03 PM [ in reply to You guys are smarter than this right? ]

A guy who sits fat and happy in a mansion surrounded by a wall who believes he is closer to god than any other human being is probably the last person that needs to be commenting on how to handle illegal immigration....

Jul 6, 2018, 10:06 AM

To be honest, the Pope is just some dude who leads a huge cult and wears a bunch of odd clothes. He is no closer to "God" than we are. He is just a man.

Jul 6, 2018, 10:16 AM

Except that what he says matters more to a lot of people than just about any other man.

Not all men

Jul 6, 2018, 10:21 AM

Re: Not all men

Jul 8, 2018, 12:46 AM

Hey Robert you're a POS.

Jul 6, 2018, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Pope says migrant rights override national security. ]

He seems like a good man, but I think his influence is fading. I think Trump has more influence that matters in the big picture. Powerful wealthy don't care about the Pope any more do they? The Pope seems like a novelty now or someone who poor uneducated people focus on. Am I wrong? To me the Pope feels like a thing of the past that we don't want to let go of, but he really is nothing now.

Jul 6, 2018, 10:45 AM

This is MemphisCat-posting-fake-news level wrong.

Rich guys have never cared much about what anyone else says. A billion people who vote in their respective countries care what the Pope says.

Jul 6, 2018, 10:47 AM

True, but what countries? Do they even matter anymore as far the power of the world?

Jul 6, 2018, 10:48 AM

Catholics? Do they matter anymore? Are you being serious here?

Jul 6, 2018, 10:52 AM

Yeah very. What matters is what countries dominate the world. Moreover, what the wealthy and leadership in all countries value is what matters. I am going on a Catholic Pilgrimage in a month, so I am open minded, but I am talking big picture. The Pope imo is meaningless now, with the people hold power.

Jul 6, 2018, 10:55 AM

I'm not even sure what to say to this. It's a "the sky is not blue" argument.

Jul 6, 2018, 11:01 AM

Kind of odd you went into that, because it isn't where I am right now. Going back to what we were talking about, I think the Pope influences people that really "don't matter" now. They have no influence in the big picture. I wish they did though.

Jul 6, 2018, 11:04 AM

So if 1.2 billion Catholics don't matter, who does have influence?

Jul 6, 2018, 11:16 AM

The people with power and money. Nobody else. Those are just numbers. I think if 3rd world countries have little to no power. Just people.

Jul 6, 2018, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Pope says migrant rights override national security. ]

"The Pope seems like a novelty now or someone who poor uneducated people focus on. "

So Trump is like a US-centric pope? He's no longer a novelty - but as Trump has said "I love the uneducated" and they, he.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2018, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Pope says migrant rights override national security. ]

Oh they care, they care a lot. There are 1.2 Billion Catholics in the world. Approx. 70 million in the U.S.

Jul 6, 2018, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Pope says migrant rights override national security. ]

He's never been anything....

Deer Pope....

Jul 6, 2018, 11:25 AM

Mind your own house. Gay Priests. Mafia. Other bullshyatt politics. Who's your God? Not catholic. Don't hate the people, but wish the Pope could take care of his own house. Are you a religion? Or a nation?

Isn't it great that we can completely ignore

Jul 6, 2018, 11:28 AM

basic human rights of entire groups of people on the basis of national security?

Somebody else has done this before. Think the dude had a small mustache and one ball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Isn't it great that we can completely ignore

Jul 6, 2018, 11:33 AM

True, but what happens if he just wants them not to be in the US and wants them to peacefully to go back home or anywhere else for that matter? I can't stand Trump, but what is Hitler like really about what he is doing? Trump doesn't want them dead. He doesn't want the US to take care of them.

You are ruining my troll of xtiger***

Jul 6, 2018, 11:36 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2018, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Isn't it great that we can completely ignore ]

This explains why he's kicking immigrants out of the military. Go mooch off someone else you well meaning brown people.

Jul 6, 2018, 11:40 AM

Pandering to his base.

Of course he is. He's currently a politician

Jul 6, 2018, 11:43 AM

who has an election coming up soon. What do you expect him to do.

What entertains me to no end is seeing his pandering and knowing what type of people eat that up.

The biggest parts of his pandering is to instill fear into this base because they are scared of brown people taking over jobs they don't work while he puts in tariffs that actually do take away the jobs.

But show the brown kid escaping death and slavery as the enemy.

Re: Of course he is. He's currently a politician

Jul 8, 2018, 11:07 AM

Since there's so much slavery and premature death in these third world he'll holes maybe the US should incorporate them and shoe them how to government themselves.

Jul 6, 2018, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Isn't it great that we can completely ignore ]

Not subtly either, seems like he's giving the game away.

Deer Pope

Jul 6, 2018, 7:07 PM

Kindly ask the Canaanites about this.

Thank you

Re: Deer Pope

Jul 7, 2018, 10:58 AM

I'm not even going to read most of this pablum after the first couple dozen posts.

I'm just going going to be saddened that a lot of my fellow countrymen are terrified and think some brown horde, the forefathers of whom were on this soil thousands of years before every ###### last one of us whites, is "invading".

This is the nasty, septic, putrid depth to which we've sunk.

Dear God, may there be a cleansing of our spirits.

:(

Jul 7, 2018, 11:46 AM

We have borders now though and we are a country with laws. You just want open borders? I am pretty liberal, but we need to show common sense too.

Jul 8, 2018, 12:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Deer Pope ]

Your indoctrination is obviously complete.

Jul 8, 2018, 12:18 AM

The bishop of Rome can go ##### himself.

Jul 8, 2018, 4:47 PM

Here is something for all the Bible quoters on here. Read the story in Genesis about Jacob's sons who went down to Egypt to buy food during a great famine. Tell me modern day immigrants have the same respect for the host country as the beggars from Palestine did. Then tell me modern day Americans have the same respect and appreciation for their own country as the Egyptian did.

Replies: 90
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic