Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Deer Dabo,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Deer Dabo,

Dec 18, 2012, 8:12 AM

I would like to start by saying I like you. I think you're good for Clemson and might be the guy to take us back to the promised land. After listening to your presser, however, I think I can explain to you why Stevie Superior has beaten your ### four in a row.

Talking about the AU game to start the season, you said, "Listen, that was a huge game. I can't tell you how important that game was. It was HUGE. [blah, blah] they had two new coordinators [blah, blah, blah] we couldn't know what they would do [blah, blah] HUGE game."

Talking about playing Sakerlina, you said (I paraphrase), "Listen, this game does not define our season. We've already had a great season. Win or lose, it doesn't change that."

PSSSSSST! You will never beat SOS until the Sakerlina game is as HUGE to you as it is to us, your fan base. Here it is December and you're still gloating about beating your rival. Yeah, I get it; you had that game circled and it gave you intense joy to win. Conversely, you simply could not stand to lose to them. Sakerlina? Just a game at the end of the season to you. That has got to change, Sir. They are OUR rival. Your belly needs to burn when it's time to play Sakerlina like it does when you get a chance to beat Allbarn. Since you won't play Allbarn for a long while now, it would be a good idea to start burning in your belly to beat Sakerlina from HERE ON.

Signed,
A fan who hears the distinct difference in the way you talk about AU and SCar

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

May want to email him...doubt he is reading tnet***

Dec 18, 2012, 8:19 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: May want to email him...doubt he is reading tnet***

Dec 18, 2012, 8:21 AM

Well, I would certainly hope not. Thanks for the heads up. You're right on top of things.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well I DID email him AND the athletic director AND the

Dec 18, 2012, 8:57 AM [ in reply to May want to email him...doubt he is reading tnet*** ]

president of the university and DABO was the only one who DID NOT respond to my email. That told me all I needed to know about how "All IN" with us!!

Re: May want to email him...doubt he is reading tnet***

Dec 18, 2012, 10:07 AM [ in reply to May want to email him...doubt he is reading tnet*** ]

I would certainly beg to differ.

If he reads STS (calling it "the devil's playground"), I'm sure he reads T-Net, which is much more popular.

Sure that he wants to beat s.carolina badly but until we can

Dec 18, 2012, 8:27 AM

start matching them at the line of scrimmage, particularly regarding their d-line, I don't see things changing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sure that he wants to beat s.carolina badly but until we can

Dec 18, 2012, 8:35 AM

There is so much emotion involved in college football. It starts with the HC. His intensity sets the tone for the team. Why does a heavily-favored team lose to a prohibitive underdog so many times? Lack of intensity. From the HC on down. And you can't suddenly decide at halftime, hey we had better get some fire in our bellies or we're gonna lose.

Now, I didn't say we were heavily favored against SCar. I was illustrating the point. As for Dabo vs. SCar, it's been apparent to me for a couple years now that he tries to downplay that game's importance. He would never downplay the importance of beating AU. NEVER. To this point, I do believe there is an obvious difference in his approach to playing HIS rival compared to OUR rival. I never want to hear again how the SCar game will not define our season, blah, blah, blah.

that was one of my points in the email that I sent!!***

Dec 18, 2012, 8:59 AM

Re: Deer Dabo,

Dec 18, 2012, 8:27 AM

Regardless of what he said postgame, I believe every ounce of his soul wanted that win. South Carolina had his full attention - we just came up short.

Dec 18, 2012, 9:35 AM

Dabo certainly isn't the reason that we lost to SUCk. That would be Chad Morris.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 18, 2012, 10:38 AM

It's interesting that initially, Billy Napier was the reason. Last year, it was Kevin Steele. Now, it's Chad Morris' fault. I'm seeing a pattern here.

Dec 18, 2012, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Deer Dabo, ]

> Dabo certainly isn't the reason that we lost to SUCk.
> That would be Chad Morris.

how is it not Dabo's fault? When the Exxon Valdez struck the reef, Capt. Hazelwood wasn't on the bridge of the ship. He had his Third Mate navigating the helm. However, Capt. Hazelwood was the one charged w/ neglect.

If Dabo isn't ultimately responsible for the offense or defense, why do we need Dabo?

Agreed. Pretty ignorant to think otherwise.***

Dec 18, 2012, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Deer Dabo, ]

it is not like

Dec 18, 2012, 8:30 AM

if his belly burned more, Morris would have called a better second half, offense would have gotten 1st downs, and defense would have stopped them on 3rd/4th downs.

You morans kill me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: it is not like

Dec 18, 2012, 8:38 AM

Ah, I'm a moran for noticing the difference in intensity, huh? Riiiiiight, buddy. Emotion is such a small part of the college game. Intensity doesn't matter at all. The college game is all business just like the NFL.

Thanks for straightening me out.

I am glad I could help!!!***

Dec 18, 2012, 8:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I noticed quite a difference in that game compared to the

Dec 18, 2012, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: it is not like ]

fsu game!! We were playing our RIVALS, we haven't beat them in 3 years and it's the last game for a month----let it all hang out and throw the kitchen sink at 'em!!

The game plan was vastly different, for sure. But what

Dec 18, 2012, 9:10 AM

else was different--to a degree--was our execution/intensity in the second half. To run fewer than 20 plays in the second half says a lot about execution which has a lot to do with intensity. It's like we're OK with losing to Sakerlina. And that would be because the importance of the game was downplayed all week.

It's one thing to lose a game in which you felt you had played your best and they were just better. It's unacceptable to lose because you didn't give your best. The game plan sucked big time. But even if the play calling wasn't the greatest, if you execute you succeed. And yes, Willmo, emotion is a big part of that.

I think our guys forgot what it was like

Dec 18, 2012, 10:17 AM

to be in an actual contest. None of the main contributors had played in a 4th quarter in over a month!

Not saying we should get out of the ACC or anything like that, but the laughable ease with which we were winning our league games came back to bite us against SCAR I believe.

Don't quit your day job to be a full-time comic.***

Dec 18, 2012, 8:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You think I was trying to be funny?

Dec 18, 2012, 9:04 AM

smh

Question: did you listen to his presser and hear how he went on and on about how huge the AU game was?

Question 2: have you ever heard Dabo refer to the Sakerlina game as huge?

And no, I wasn't trying to be funny.

The Auburn game was Huge. Many predicted we would

Dec 18, 2012, 9:08 AM

lose--we could not keep up, etc. etc. If Auburn had beaten us I think we would have tanked and not won the number of games we won and Auburn would have won more.

Dabo knows the USuC game is huge. He went on a rant about it. We did not get stomped in the game and had a chance to win the game--still in the 4th quarter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, I agree and disagree. #1, I'm talking about the

Dec 18, 2012, 9:19 AM

way Dabo talks about AU vs SCar. I've never once heard him refer to the SCar game as huge. Nothing of the sort. Yeah, there was the rant. I think that had more to do with SOS than the game itself. Nevertheless, I hear Dabo going out of his way to say if we lose again to SCar it doesn't mean anything, really.

I appreciate the fact that a team can be too tight to play their best. He's obviously not worried about that whenever we play AU. I could see Dabo taking a shift to beat a drum for 48 hours leading up to the AU game. Not gonna happen vs SCar. You may not see it, but his rivalry with AU is intense. He grew up with it. He lived it. He doesn't burn like we do to beat SCar.

Spurcoot has the whole little brother complex working for him. He's not afraid to say things that suggest beating Clemson is a huge deal. I don't hear him downplaying the significance of the game.

All I'm saying is if your team hears the coach say it's not a big deal to lose to the rival then their intensity may not be so high.

Maybe so. But, we were favored to win that game.***

Dec 18, 2012, 9:33 AM [ in reply to The Auburn game was Huge. Many predicted we would ]

If Auburn had beaten us it would have been a HUGE

Dec 18, 2012, 10:05 AM [ in reply to The Auburn game was Huge. Many predicted we would ]

disapointment, and a huge blow to the football program. On the other hand, since Auburn was not very good this year, beating them, in retrospect was NOT a big deal. We should have beaten Auburn, and celebrating and patting yourself on the back too much for doing what you should have done is not a recipe for success.

I am not a Dabo basher; in fact, I have been called a pumper a gazillion times. I really, really like Dabo, and I like almost everything about him as a coach and as a person. I hope he is the one to take us back to being a top tier football program. I just hope his tendency to focus on and perhaps exagerate the positives while downplaying the negatives does not become his downfall.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

David I don't think there are as many of us around any more!

Dec 18, 2012, 9:11 AM [ in reply to You think I was trying to be funny? ]

I would like an explaination from the coaching staff as to how something like that happened. I wanted one after the OB last year and never got it. This is the feel good staff of football, ignore the bad stuff and just mention the good. I am Not a grouch, I just expect an explaination of what happened AND how we are going to prevent it from happenening again!

Dabo explained it to you. We did not execute. How much

Dec 18, 2012, 9:13 AM

more do you want? Did you see Tajh look stiff and all the balls our receivers dropped?

Execute at a high level. Practice makes perfect. Work even harder. Move 10 wins to 11 and 11 wins to 12, etc. etc.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Re: Dabo explained it to you. We did not execute. How much

Dec 18, 2012, 9:38 AM

Andre executed just fine on the 15 attempts he got.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're reaching, bigtime.***

Dec 18, 2012, 12:18 PM [ in reply to You think I was trying to be funny? ]

David, after Dabo lost his 3rd straight to So Car in 2011,

Dec 18, 2012, 9:27 AM

the sports media questioned him about losing for the then 3rd straight time to them. He said, and I paraphrase: "The South Carolina game is the most important game of the season to me, my assistant coaches and my players".

I have no doubt that Dabo realizes the importance of our rivalry game and gives it his "all" to win it. The problem is that Dabo is NOT a rivalry game coach. Some coaches for whatever reason have difficulty in rivalry games. John Cooper, Bill Curry, Tubby Smith (basketball) come quickly to mind. Dabo Swinney can be added to that list.

I, and some others here, have been very critical of Dabo and his performance against our rival. I, and some others have said that Dabo better beat them next year or else be fired. There are some Tnetters who disagree. Are those Tnetters sincere? Or are they trying to downplay the importance of beating SCar simply because we haven't recently? I don't know.

Dabo beat So Car, at Death Valley, in his first year when he took over from Bowden, in midseason, a coach who went 7-2 against our rival. Dabo took a Tommy Bowden team up against a So Car team who really had no quaterback ready to play winning ball at that time. Smelley was their QB. He threw 4 interceptions that afternoon. He quit So Car right after that, transferred and never again played football. Was Dabo lucky that day? I don't know.

The Dabo supporters say that Dabo has had the bad luck to play against So Car when they have never been better. OK, that's fair. But at the same time they point to his conference record as a reason that we should keep him on. But they ignore the fact that the ACC has been weaker than normal during Dabo's time as Head Coach. When Dabo won the division in 2009, no division opponent finished among the Top 25. When Dabo won the ACC last year, no ACC team finished among the nation's Top 20 in the final AP poll for the first time in 20 years. Dabo went 7-1 in the conference this season. Yet , there are only TWO ACC teams nationally ranked. The conference is so weak, that a 6-6 Georgia Tech team won a division title. It's so weak, the 3rd best team in our division, fired its coach.

I don't expect to always beat So Car. But is it too much to expect to beat them 1/3 of the time? Apparently for some it may be. I have conditioned myself to rarely, if ever, expect to beat So Car as long as Dabo is our Head Coach. I would hope that the Dabo supporter's patience runs out, sooner than later. I just hope that we don't have to endure a 7th, 8th , 9th straight loss to SCar before we all realize that a change has to take place. There are Head Coaches out there who can be succesful both against the rival and the other teams we play.

He's 2-1 vs. AU and came within a whisker of being 3-0.

Dec 18, 2012, 9:38 AM

Not a good rivalry coach? I'd say he's up to the task when it comes to HIS rivalry, just not ours. That 2010 AU game in THEIR house was the hardest-hitting, most intense game I've seen Clemson play since the early 90's. We lost because of a snap infraction in OT. Would have won the game if not for the cheap shot KP took. There was absolutely no quit on that night. We came to put every ounce into the game and left it all on the field.

Where was that intensity in any of the SCar losses over the last four years? I didn't see it.

Re: He's 2-1 vs. AU and came within a whisker of being 3-0.

Dec 18, 2012, 9:42 AM

OK. We will see how we do against So Car next year. Dabo KNOWS the importance of beating So Car, as do the assistant coaches and players. For whatever reason, we don't play well when we play them.

Dec 18, 2012, 10:11 AM

Does it really take 4 straight losses to finally understand the importance of the rivalry?

The damage is done. Our generation has experienced something that the 3 generations of Tiger fans before us have never experienced.

If fellow Tiger fans start saying "wait till next year" on a regular basis, I might cry.

Time to turn it around.

Dec 18, 2012, 10:30 AM

I'm not the one who says that Dabo does not/did not understand the importance of the game. So, you are asking the wrong person. Heck, I think a coach would have to be an idiot to not understand the importance of any rivalry. If "wanting" something was all it takes, I would be a millionaire 10 times over. We do have some Clemson fans who are basically saying, "That's OK; we will get them next time".

Dec 18, 2012, 10:33 AM

Agreed.

4 years ago everyone talked about devaluing the rivalry

Dec 18, 2012, 10:33 AM

so that we could focus on winning an ACC championship/more regular season games. We did that and avoided the ##### game in 2012. Now we have people advocating the inverse again. I'm not saying we can't have both, I'm just saying that it all starts and ends with fielding a better team and with the coaches. The coots have had the better team at least the last 3 years. I disagree with the premise that Dabo doesn't recognize the importance of the rivalry. He simply needs to recruit better and coach better and I think he knows this. The coots are no longer a middling, SEC bottom-feeder type of club. OBS has built a solid program there. It may take an exceptional athlete or two to give one team the edge. Clowney/Lattimore have been those players for them over the last few years. If Chad had called a better game and we had a better schematic gameplan for their D-line it may have been a different outcome. Considering their strengths and our weaknesses, the offensive gameplan was puzzling to say the least. There were lots of tangible problems that seem far more glaring to me than a supposed lack of emphasis on this particular game.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic