Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Memorial Stadium (Death Valley) Expansion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Memorial Stadium (Death Valley) Expansion

Jun 9, 2012, 4:47 PM

If we increase the number of General Admission (hill Tickets) back to 6,000 like it used to be (before the WEZ) instead of just 4,000 currently. We would pass

Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Florida State
and Wisconsin

on the list of largest NCAA football stadiums.

Find another 300 and we pass Texas A&M

IF we were to string together 5 years of winning seasons and need another 10,000 to 15,000 seats to accommodate the swelling crowds. Where would you put them?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

I may be wrong, but I think when they cut back on the hill

Jun 9, 2012, 4:58 PM

seating was back in the early 2000s after our Administration / Athletic Dept. overreacted regarding an event after the S.Carolina game in which someone was injured.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes and no

Jun 9, 2012, 9:10 PM

The Hill's seating wasn't strictly enforced until after they finished the WEZ.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barker says not in top 20 plans...

Jun 9, 2012, 10:00 PM [ in reply to I may be wrong, but I think when they cut back on the hill ]

no, no, no

Re: Memorial Stadium (Death Valley) Expansion

Jun 9, 2012, 5:01 PM

We need another 10 to 15k or more just to actually show up to games like Duke, Wake, BC, Maryland, (Hell...just name any ACC team almost) Furman, Wofford, Coastal, Presbyterian, SC State, etc before we start wanting to expand the stadium. Also our Alumni base doesn't grow that quick since we are a relatively small enrollment university compared to some of the big state u's.

I would rather keep the numbers or even have smaller numbers than empty seats. (supply and demand) Lots of empty seats in those upper decks regardless of what they announce the number at.

ok maybe i asked the question wrong. Whenwe can financially

Jun 9, 2012, 5:07 PM

benefit from adding 10 to 15,000 more seats. where would you put them?

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Jun 9, 2012, 6:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Memorial Stadium (Death Valley) Expansion ]

you are right on! i would rather have a 75,000 seat stadium in which there were no empty seats and a ticket was hard to come by!

Question...

Jun 9, 2012, 5:07 PM

Was there spare room on the hill for the Auburn and FSU games last year?

Those were the only two home games last year that were sold out and would be a good indication if additional tickets in section GG are warranted. I don't know how many people used to sit in the two west corners of the stadium before the west end was closed in, but some general admission capacity was obviously lost when that happened.

yeah i used to sit there some as a teenager.

Jun 9, 2012, 5:09 PM

i would say 500 or less in those areas combined. just a guess though

Jun 9, 2012, 5:11 PM

I've always heard that the WEZ was initially built ready for a second level. This was in the original renderings.

I see it asked about from time to time, and have never seen anyone say if is or isn't still part of one of the many phases of the WEZ.

I would agree with others however that we'd need to win and thus sell out consistently with a few more titles before that would ever become a reality.

Re: In the ACC or Big XII, we'll never need to expand our

Jun 9, 2012, 5:29 PM

stadium again, because there will continue to be virtually no visiting fans. If we were in the SEC, we'd need an extra 10,000 seats right away...not because there would necessarily be more Clemson fans wanting to attend games, but in order to get the visiting team in without displacing our own fans.

Re: In the ACC or Big XII, we'll never need to expand our

Jun 9, 2012, 5:49 PM

i've heard, and admit i don't know for sure, that texas and oklahoma both travel very good , i have no idea about the others.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah b/c Duke and Wake really bring their own teeming hordes

Jun 9, 2012, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Re: In the ACC or Big XII, we'll never need to expand our ]

When their teams come to Death Valley, right? :P

Let's be honest, there are only a couple teams that travel well to Clemson, in rough order:

USC
GT
FSU
NC State, sort of
VT, kinda

UNC brings a mediocre, not great, visiting crowd.

So if we went Big XII we'd lose the GT, NC State, and VT crowds. West Virginia could probably replace the VT or NCSU crowds, and Texas and OU would probably bring a respectable number of away fans. I think it's more or less a wash.

You could add them above the student and band sections

Jun 9, 2012, 5:36 PM

beside the hill. Wrap the lower deck around a little more.

I doubt we really would ever need to expand more than that. If we did, we'd just have to tear down the hill.

Re: You could add them above the student and band sections

Jun 9, 2012, 5:51 PM

tear down the hill? that's not even an option,in my books!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TV hurts our attendance to some degree because......

Jun 9, 2012, 5:43 PM

now all of our good/big games on are on TV or online so there are other ways for people to watch the games. Back in the old days before this was done you had to come to DV to see the game.

Jun 9, 2012, 5:45 PM

Upper deck over the hill...lol.

I would say the stadium, other than additional levels on the WEZ, has pretty much reached its peak capacity in terms of expansion.

I can tell you that a lot of students who get seats sometimes sneak onto the Hill after the event staff move out of the way. I wouldn't be against putting another 1k people on the Hill. I tend to like sitting during time outs and not losing my seat when/if I need to go get a drink due to the heat during noon games, though so I typically get a bleacher seat.

Jun 9, 2012, 5:48 PM

I doubt the stadium ever is expanded, but I would guess they would add seats to the sides of the hill or on top of the WEZ.

GUYS, LET'S FOCUS ON THE OCULUS HERE***

Jun 9, 2012, 5:58 PM

Jun 9, 2012, 6:11 PM

Decrease the size of the stadium. It is too easy to get tickets now and nothing is sadder that to look at a stadium with 15,000 empty seats. Only 1 or 2 games per year sell out and that is IF we are playing well. Make the tickets worth something.

Decrease by replacing benches with seats!

Jun 9, 2012, 7:00 PM

...full stadium, elbow room, premium experience for all!

Seats promote sitting.***

Jun 9, 2012, 9:49 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seats promote sitting.***

Jun 10, 2012, 12:30 PM

Well there is that...

My Thoughts on Stadium Expansion

Jun 9, 2012, 6:52 PM

I think it would be pretty intimidating to close in the part of the East Endzone. Leaving a opening of course for the the players to enter.

I think it would be even more of a rush for the players and potential recruits to see people above them going crazy as well.

Re: My Thoughts on Stadium Expansion

Jun 9, 2012, 6:55 PM

I've always though it would look great if the east upperdecks were connected and then further in the future, connect west upper if needed.

Jun 9, 2012, 7:15 PM

Would there be enough sunlight to grow grass on The Hill or would Section GG become Section AT (artificial turf)?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 9, 2012, 8:06 PM

Honestly I wouldn't mind artificial turf on the Hill. My freshman year it was more section MP (mud pit) as it rained every game except for one amazing FSU game (where it rained a bit earlier that day, but not during the game).

Also wouldn't mind artificial turf on the parking lots (club fields and intramural fields). Cars totally rip that place up and make the playing surface dangerous to play on at times (especially if it rains on game day).

Jun 9, 2012, 8:26 PM

Artificial turf on the hill would be great. That could mean no more rolling out the mat before games. Just make the turf orange with Clemson. That would be sharp.

Jun 9, 2012, 9:55 PM

they only count actual seats to determine official capacity.

Jun 9, 2012, 10:19 PM

They currently count 4000 seat capacity for the hill. A few years back they counted 6000. The 4000 is part of the official capacity of 80,301.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic