Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Decisions have to be taken
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Decisions have to be taken

Sep 26, 2018, 4:11 PM

Regarding the QB situation: I find myself in the unusual place of asking "where were the coaches?"

I have always thought the 2 offensive coach situation to be difficult. I believe there has to be a leader for any organization. But given there are 2, they should have made a decision on the starting QB before the season started. I know it was hard. I know it was difficult. But that's what the coaches are paid quite well to do.

I do not think they were fair to either of the QBs but given Kelly's limited amount of time left to play, it was more difficult for him. I know everyone is saying Coach Swinney was very fair to Kelly. I think giving him 4 days to make the biggest decision he will probably ever make in his life was challenging at best and really more on the lines of impossible. This should never have come down to a young man making a decision that the coaches should have taken months ago.

I suppose the strategy of letting the natural starting QB bubble up worked. But I doubt it was much different from what they knew 6 months ago. They should have acted on it and not let it go this far. The coaches are CEOS and are paid quite well (Coach Swinney plus 2 offensive coaches = about $1 million / month). They own this and hopefully will lead next time and make decisions when necessary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This was over in the spring game

Sep 26, 2018, 4:15 PM

We all saw it coming, some said game 1, others said TA&M game others said week 3.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This was over in the spring game

Sep 26, 2018, 4:23 PM

I said game 6....assuming Dabo would play him the 5th game to keep a solid 2nd string here plus let him get a chance at Syracuse. I was wrong on that account...Dabo did the classy thing here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree with you, the coaches do a good job of

Sep 26, 2018, 4:17 PM

developing young college kids into men. But it's also their job to win football games. I'm not sure we beat TAMU without KB. But we've been able to see TL's development on the field and it became obvious on Saturday who the starter should be. I don't think it was obvious after the first couple games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I disagree with you, the coaches do a good job of

Sep 26, 2018, 4:22 PM

I agree with everything you said. And that is exactly why it confounds me that they let this situation drag on as long as they did. Had they worked it right, we would still have both QBs. As is, I think we just have one viable QB who has virtually experience at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How should it have been handled?

Sep 26, 2018, 4:24 PM

KB was going to transfer once he was no longer the starter. The only way to keep that from happening was if we started him this weekend so he couldn't redshirt, thereby tricking him into staying here.

Re: How should it have been handled?

Sep 26, 2018, 4:30 PM

Get ready, he's going to say that the coaches should have left the 2 QB rotation going to make KB happy...who cares about results, who cares about performance...just leave him the starter so he doesn't leave. Even if he wins every game, but Clemson misses the playoffs because they weren't wowing anyone and got into a 5 team battle with SOS being the only decider and didn't look like one of the best 4 teams, at least you kept him the starter.

That's the only option...

Sep 26, 2018, 4:34 PM

Tucker and Cooper knew they were never starting. The bounced. Hunter left because of Trevor. Think about it: he had to RS this year anyway, so he could've done it here and been a RS So without Kelly on the roster. Clearly he knew Trevor was THE guy.

Kelly was gonna transfer in the Spring, Summer, Fall, just at any point that the job became TL's. The ONLY way to keep him was to keep starting him and splitting snaps with TL, even when TL deserved the start.

My issue with that is: how do you look at other positions and tell guys to work hard, compete everyday for their spots, or risk losing them, whenever it doesn't apply to the highest profile position in all of sports.

Losing these QBs was inevitable. We don't recruit serviceable backups here, we recruit studs. If they don't play here, they can elsewhere and that's why they leave.

Re: That's the only option...

Sep 26, 2018, 5:13 PM

And that's a dumb option. Performance dictates who plays, not feelings or seniority. And Trevor beat him in performance after 4 games. You keep that going, you then aren't being fair to the player that put in the work and is beating out the other's performance. Then you are letting the players dictate who plays and not the coaches. You want to lose control of the locker room, that'd be a great way to start that.

Exactly right. Dabo has to be consistent with how he...

Sep 26, 2018, 5:36 PM

handles all positions.

They were fair to KB...

Sep 26, 2018, 4:18 PM

He knew this Summer what was coming and he chose to stay and try to keep his job. He thought about transferring but stayed knowing that this would play into the season. It was his decision. If it was the wrong one, that's on him. Dabo can't help that TL has out-performed KB.

It was very obvious that TL had a higher ceiling than KB, but he had no experience. It was the right move for the program to start KB and work TL in like they have.

Imagine had TL made several Freshman mistakes @TA&M and we lost. We'd potentially be sitting on the outside of the CFP because Dabo wanted to be so fair to KB that he risked our potential Nat'l Title Season.

There wasn't a ton of separation, and that's why KB got the nod, because he was the Senior. There still isn't a ton of separation, and that's why Dabo would've continued to play KB. The only person who made the decision to ultimately end the QB battle was KB when he announced his transfer.

So you're questioning not only Dabo and our coaches

Sep 26, 2018, 4:19 PM

but also the Saban & coaching staff at Alabama who have basically done the same? Probably the two top coaches in the college game. So our coaches should have made the call based on the summer scrimmages.
Yea that sounds great. Dabo handled it perfectly, as did TL, KB could have shown a little more maturity but I get it...his feelings were hurt. SMDH

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Decisions have to be taken

Sep 26, 2018, 4:22 PM

In all fairness, there is no way they could have made a choice prior to the season without it being about seniority only. Trevor had not taken a single snap in college football. That is the key most important place decisions are made...on the field. Sure, they had practices and scrimmages, but none of them were with the QB's live....and they were all against our own team. In those regards, they had Kelly as the #1 guy and kept him there. That was what was right to do given no data for Trevor.

The only choice that could have been made preseason, is Kelly to have gone through with his first thought to transfer or when he chose then to stay, do it with full understanding he could lose the spot during the season and needed to make the choice basing on his willingness to be a team player if that happened. There were no guarantees, and going to the coaches and telling them you were thinking about it was not a "give me a pass, you better not demote me" card. That's where I am disappointed. I assumed he made his choice to not transfer then accepting anything that happened, including the potential he could lose the spot.

Sep 26, 2018, 5:04 PM

I know I'm a victim of the Corporate America organizational mentality and it definitely influences my thoughts:

I believe an organization works best when roles are clearly defined - both as individual and as a member of the broader group. To that end, when there are "co-quarterbacks" the roles are not clear and the entire organization suffers. I realize the information was not as available as they would have wanted months ago, but still the coaches should have used whatever criteria they use to name a starter and a back-up. That could obviously change as the season progressed but at least the roles would have been clear and an automatic competition established. "Co-anything" is not competitive and does not encourage excellence.

I still believe the coaches dropped the ball on this. I know that since they are the best coaches around they have handled the situation with class this week. My point is it never should have gone this far and all this would not have been necessary.

Sep 26, 2018, 5:19 PM

I think that's where you misunderstand everything. There were no co-quarterbacks. There was a #1 QB (Bryant) and a #2 QB (Lawrence). Go look at any depth chart of the season...you won't see an "or" between them. Kelly was the #1 QB, but they put Trevor out there because the competition had to continue through the season to see what happened during live gameplay. And you aren't getting any fair assessment having Kelly playing 2 quarters while the defenses are fresh and on fire, while having Trevor play after they are worn. Playing how they did gives an equal assessment at near same points of the game. And Kelly played most of the second half vs Texas A&M, Trevor played a majority vs GT...game 1, both played 5 drives a piece.

You're also contradicting your self saying "they could change it during the season", while arguing that they did just that. That's what they did here...changed it as the season went on. Kelly just didn't like it when they did.

Sep 26, 2018, 5:54 PM

And I'm not trying to argue or contradict myself or anything like that.....

All I'm simply saying is despite what might have been on paper in the depth charts, the coaches seemingly went out of their way to describe the QBs as equal even with their different skill sets. They had to have known back in the summer that Trevor was the one who would be the starter. They should have used the information they had to make it official. It really doesn't mean much in terms of execution - both could have continued to play a lot. If Kelly had known he was the back-up he could have made decisions about his future earlier than this week and this would not have been such a big issue.

Sep 26, 2018, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Decisions have to be taken ]

CaliforniaTiger - coaches did not drop the ball, they did name a starter, it was Kelly Bryant. K.B. was the starter for the first four games.

They did decide on a starter before the season.

Sep 26, 2018, 5:16 PM

They announced the starter and said the starter, KB, would stay the starter and long as he was greater than or equal to the second string. They also said the 2nd string was too good not to get some reps. It is obvious to everyone but KB, KB's mom and coot trolls who the best QB is, and its not even close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

with a grade of slaw?***

Sep 26, 2018, 5:26 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic