Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it me that has only noticed our punt and kickoff returns
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 644

Is it me that has only noticed our punt and kickoff returns

Sep 23, 2014, 1:51 PM

have been flat out horrible the past 3-4 yrs? Especially punt. Our return guy never seems to get any room to return, ever. Either we face the best punters in the league every game or our blocking stinks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Humphries is the fair catch man

Sep 23, 2014, 1:55 PM

and never attempts to return it except for the rare occasion when he gets pummeled immediately.

You are right, a punt is an exhale play for us. A sigh of relief when our guy catches it successfully without a fumble. It's never an anticipation play.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he has to fair catch

Sep 23, 2014, 2:02 PM

b/c the defenders have been sitting there for 2 minutes already just waiting for him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regarding punts.....

Sep 23, 2014, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Humphries is the fair catch man ]

One thing that I have noticed is that the guys that are rushing the punter are basically taking themselves out of the play. They don't really apply any pressure to the punter (which might explain why punters are kicking good, high, only to be fair caught punts against us). They kind of jog up there and don't really occupy the guys protecting the punter.

It seems to me that at least one of those guys could stay back as an extra blocker to set up the return OR those guys could actually make a run at the punter or blow up the blockers or do something to throw off the rhythm of the punter. But that is just from looking at what those guys do...I haven't really looked at how the rest of the guys do with their blocking.

Along those lines...maybe we should drop an extra return guy back as an extra blocker that will be closer to the return guy?

I don't really know. But it seems to me what we are doing now is designed to basically produce fair catches.

yeah exactly

Sep 23, 2014, 3:12 PM

you would think because we get absolutely zero pressure on the punter we would set up nice returns but no. Not only do we never try and block the punt but Humphries is surrounded each time as he catches it. Why don't we just go for the block?

Dead-On!

Sep 23, 2014, 3:34 PM

We have faced some very good punters, but they are a lot better because they never face any pressure. The passive way we play on punt returns lends itself to successfully running fakes to, if I am the opposing coach whatching how we never rush the punter then my eyes light up because they only have to beat one or two men, boom first down!!!

We put on return even when our D has backed the opposition up to the endzone, I don't understand!

We are not getting a chance to return, but we are not putting pressure either, go figure!

What I don't understand

Sep 23, 2014, 3:36 PM

If we're going to fair catch it every time, why not bring pressure on the punter every time. We don't pressure and we don't return. It makes no sense.

Dabo not interested in little details like punt receiving.

Sep 23, 2014, 3:38 PM

If he were something would have been done long ago. Just fair catch it and go on offense.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand that philosophy

Sep 23, 2014, 3:41 PM

but maybe spring a surprise every now and again. Like before halftime there was only about a minute left and FSU was punting. why not go for the block there?

Haven't returned a punt for TD since Spiller graduated

Sep 23, 2014, 3:41 PM

Haven't returned a kick since Sammy vs Maryland as a freshman.

Our blocking on returns is nonexistant, and our kick/punt coverage isn't much better. Who coaches special teams? The same guy that coaches Tight Ends and let's all of the good players from Charlotte go elsewhere.

Replies: 9
| visibility 644
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic