Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DeVos Critics’ Hypocrisy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

DeVos Critics’ Hypocrisy

Feb 8, 2017, 12:11 PM

“The basic reason I’ll oppose her nomination is that I don’t think she is committed to public education,” Senator Robert Casey (D., Pa.) declared about DeVos.

“Casey and his father are regarded as the most famous alumni of Scranton Preparatory School, a Catholic Jesuit preparatory day school in Pennsylvania,” the Daily Signal reported last month.

“Casey’s daughters, Caroline Casey and Julia Madeline, also attended Scranton Prep.”

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D., R.I.) announced that “I have received thousands of letters, calls, and emails in opposition to her nomination, many of them citing the school voucher and privatization agenda Mrs. DeVos and her allies imposed in Michigan.”

As WPRI reported, “The senator also questioned whether DeVos had ever entered a public school, drawing laughs from the supportive roundtable.”

Whitehouse is an alumnus of St. Paul’s School, a private boarding institution set on 2,000 bucolic acres in New Hampshire.

Whitehouse’s daughter, Molly, studied at Providence’s Wheeler School.

His son, Alexander, also attended a private boarding school

Whitehouse explained on the Senate floor in 2012 that he sent his kids to private campuses so that he could give them “the best education that I can for them, and I felt that, in their circumstances, the places that I chose to send them were the best schools for them.”

Senator Michael Bennet (D., Colo.) rose last night to attack DeVos on the Senate floor.

“Mrs. DeVos has shown no evidence of her commitment to be the torchbearer for both excellence and equity,” Bennet complained.

“And a commitment to competition without a commitment to equity would forsake our democratic ideal that a free, high-quality public education must open the doors of opportunity for all.”

But Bennet did not walk through those doors.

In fact, Bennet is a product of St. Albans, one of the most prestigious private schools in Washington, D.C.

His daughter attended Denver’s Logan School for Creative Learning, an exclusive private institution of learning.

Senate Democratic whip #### Durbin of Illinois also will oppose DeVos today.

“She is not committed to public education, which is our first obligation as a government,” Durbin told teachers unionists in Springfield on Saturday.

But during a March 2009 Senate debate on school choice in Washington, D.C., “Durbin, in turn, said he and his wife sent their kids out of the private system to get Catholic education,” Politico reported.

Durbin, himself, attended Assumption Catholic High School in East Saint Louis, Ill.

“Our children and families deserve better than a secretary of education who would work to gut our public school system,” Senator Maggie Hassan (D., N.H.) told the New Hampshire School Administrators Association yesterday.

Hassan’s husband, Tom, was a school administrator.

He was principal of the almost stereotypically highbrow Philips Exeter Academy, the Platonic form of American private education.

The Hassans’ daughter, Margaret, attended Exeter.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444683/betsy-devos-critics-hypocrisy-their-kids-attend-private-schools

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So none of their constituents attend public schools either?***

Feb 8, 2017, 12:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Ignore him. He just copies & pastes NR articles all day.***

Feb 8, 2017, 12:13 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Re: Well it is a "Do as I say not as I do" type of hypocracy

Feb 8, 2017, 12:18 PM [ in reply to So none of their constituents attend public schools either?*** ]

I'm not defending Devos, just pointing out in these specific examples that
they probably know very little about public education either.

/kid

Their constituents?

Feb 8, 2017, 12:26 PM [ in reply to So none of their constituents attend public schools either?*** ]

New Poll: Most Americans Back Parental Choice in Education

https://pjmedia.com/parenting/2017/01/17/new-poll-most-americans-back-parental-choice-in-education/

Poll — 75% of Millennials Support School Choice; Majority of Americans Like Trump’s $20 Billion Plan

https://www.the74million.org/article/poll-75-percent-of-millennials-support-school-choice-majority-of-americans-like-trumps-20-billion-plan

Poll: Black Voters Strongly Support School Choice

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/11/02/poll-black-voters-strongly-support-school-choice/

So, where's the $20 billion coming from?

Feb 8, 2017, 1:12 PM

Fiscal conservatism, and all.

Also, the plan will cost each state $2 billion to implement. Where should they get the money?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Do you remember that poster we had years ago

Feb 8, 2017, 12:23 PM

named clempson93? We used to call him c&p93. Man, I miss that guy.

Hey, totally unrelated, but do you have any explanation for how carvings of a stegosaurus exist on Mayan ruins?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In other hypocrisy today

Feb 8, 2017, 12:27 PM

My neighbor asked me if I thought my other neighbor was qualified to fix his car. I pointed out that I don't own a car, but best I could tell my other neighbor had no experience fixing cars and in fact didn't own a car himself. Surely it's hypocrisy for me to point this out since I'm not a mechanic and don't own a car.

In other words, surely it's hypocrisy for me to suggest someone is not qualified to do something that I myself am not qualified to do. That seems to be your argument here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh, no. That would not be a comparable argument at all.***

Feb 8, 2017, 12:40 PM

Why not?

Feb 8, 2017, 12:46 PM

I'm interested.

It seems your argument is that these law makers are not qualified to give their opinion on Devos' ability/experience with public education because they themselves are steeped in private education.

What am I missing from your argument?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Give him a minute

Feb 8, 2017, 12:47 PM

Google's not coming up with any articles just yet.

That is not what the article is saying. It is about

Feb 8, 2017, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Why not? ]

the total hypocrisy of those Democrats who would deny their constituents of something they readily do. They condemn DeVos for advocating school choice while they partake of school choice.

That may be a valid point

Feb 8, 2017, 3:00 PM

But the article sure does a poor job of advancing that point.

The points that seem to being made by the quotes of the law makers in the article are that she has no experience in handling the administration or intricacies of public education. It is not hypocrisy for someone who also has no experience in this field to point that out.

The law makers may well be entirely wrong in their views on how to structure and administer education in the US. That is a different discussion altogether. But I don't see an ounce of hypocrisy in their views. They make a choice for their family (one they pay to make) and don't believe the system which gives folks that option, if they can afford it, should be scrapped.

Again, they may well be wrong, but that is far different from being hypocritical.

Please. They are denying others of the very things they do.

Feb 8, 2017, 3:48 PM

They readily admit they chose private schools for the better quality, and then condemn DeVos for wanting all children's parents to have that choice.

As long as people can't use public funds to send their kids

Feb 8, 2017, 3:52 PM

to religious schools I am all cool with it.

So the gov't can't issue vouchers in your world?***

Feb 8, 2017, 3:58 PM

Where did you get that idea? No, I am all for vouchers...

Feb 8, 2017, 4:04 PM

just as long as it isn't for the government paying for people to send their kids to religious schools.

Not sure why that should matter

Feb 8, 2017, 4:34 PM [ in reply to As long as people can't use public funds to send their kids ]

All we should care about is whether the kids get a good education. If the parents want the kids sent to good religious schools, then let them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because the government shouldn't fund religion.

Feb 8, 2017, 5:08 PM

I don't want the government funding Muslim schools either. Any school where part of the curriculum is religion the government shouldn't fund at all. Not a dollar.

I think the government should help provide certain services

Feb 8, 2017, 5:29 PM

I don't really care whether they're provided by religious organizations, as long as they provide those services well. I'm not really sure why religious providers should be carved out, either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do. I don't want the government to give any taxpayer...

Feb 8, 2017, 5:56 PM

dollars to any school that also promotes a religion. If people want to send their kids to one of those they should pay all on their own.

You really don't understand. Let me give you an example.

Feb 8, 2017, 6:07 PM

My son was having difficulty during his first year in middle school. The teachers and the principal were no help. They blamed my son. Let me repeat that. They blamed my son. We enrolled him into a Catholic school. You did not have to be Catholic to attend.

Let me tell you about this school. It was in an old building. There were no facilities other than a classroom. Every kid brought his own lunch, as did the teacher, and they all ate together in the classroom. Once a month, all of the kids had community service - on Saturday. There were no computers, or libraries, or gymnasiums, or study halls ... nothing but one classroom.

When my son entered public high school (the Catholic school went no higher than middle school) he was a year ahead of everyone else. He joined the Academic Team and the Debate Team. He graduated with honors, went to college, went to med school, and is now finishing up his residency. He did the work, but I credit that Catholic school with providing the right environment at the right time in his life.

If I had a choice, I would direct that ALL of my property tax dollars go to Catholic schools, because I know what they are doing.

You truly don't understand.

Feb 8, 2017, 6:31 PM

If the school teaches a particular religion ### part of the curriculum I don't want the taxpayers paying for it. You understand now? Probably not.

They did not teach "religion."***

Feb 8, 2017, 7:08 PM

Perfect. Then if it is not a school that promotes mass,..

Feb 8, 2017, 7:18 PM

or promotes any religion, then all is good. If it does, they should get no taxpayer money. I went to a private school. I understand the vouchers for private school.

You're imputing a point that wasn't being made there

Feb 8, 2017, 4:33 PM [ in reply to That may be a valid point ]

This article isn't about why DeVos is qualified, since she's worked in education reform for years. It's about why it's hypocritical for those mentioned to criticize her for not attending public schools.

wait

Feb 8, 2017, 1:01 PM [ in reply to In other hypocrisy today ]

you and your neighbor don't own cars? You must live in a city with good mass transit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Sooooo...

Feb 8, 2017, 1:30 PM

What I'm getting out of this is that both DeVos and these senators are unqualified to make any decisions on public education?

Right?

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

That's it. We have no other choice.

Feb 8, 2017, 1:38 PM

I went to public school my whole life. I will have to drive to Washington and take control of this thing.

Holler if you need gas money.

Feb 8, 2017, 1:45 PM

Or an Uber.

National Review has taken a hard dip in quality as of late.

Feb 8, 2017, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Sooooo... ]

Got to appeal to that GOP base for page views I guess.

It's actually been quite good at critiquing media excess

Feb 8, 2017, 5:27 PM

They've been able to carve out a pretty good niche for themselves by being generally anti-Trump, but pro-conservatism. They've had some very good pieces filling in the gaps in outrage-media stories about Trump policies and nominees (like this piece), but they've also had some good stuff criticizing Trump.

This piece isn't an argument for why DeVos would be a good secretary. It's an argument that these detractors, who seem to think having used public schools is a requirement for understanding the educational system, are hypocrites since they didn't use it themselves.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

I suppose I should visit the site to get the Trump critiques

Feb 8, 2017, 6:02 PM

For some reason Cdiff never posts those.

I don't usually post things I don't agree with. Do you?***

Feb 8, 2017, 6:11 PM

I did today.***

Feb 8, 2017, 6:12 PM

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic