Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When will the old folks on this board pay their fair share for medical costs?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

When will the old folks on this board pay their fair share for medical costs?

Dec 15, 2018, 9:18 PM

Someone like the good Christian ClemsonTiger1988 should be paying far more for medical care and insurance, and not getting subsidized by us healthy folks.

All this complaining of us subsidizing the poor folks. Let’s stop subsidizing the old folks too. That’s the biggest cost in our insurance rates.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When will the old folks on this board pay their fair share for medical costs?

Dec 15, 2018, 9:31 PM

While that is a valid point, some of us old farts have there own insurance unrelated to ACA/Obamacare. So you are neither subsidizing nor needing to concern yourself in that matter. Under Medicare all are old farts but Medicaid would be a concern. Just points to ponder.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that’s not entirely true

Dec 15, 2018, 9:36 PM

I also own insurance unrelated to ACA/Obamacare. My BCBS rates are influenced by total costs. Same way my car insurance goes up due to other bad drivers.

All this complaining of spreading subsidized costs, why aren’t we more consistent?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: that’s not entirely true

Dec 15, 2018, 9:43 PM

Mine is not so once again no reason for any concern on your part Dave. Mine is Company funded and only administered by a very large Insurance Company so the first line of your point ins invalid from my own perspective. Also Dave the cost of your insurance was not reduced to zero either now was it? As to my car insurance, it has gone down but feel free to try again.

Dec 15, 2018, 9:57 PM

As a business owner, I buy insurance for all employees. Therefore I have a different view of insurance costs versus receiving it for ‘free’ from my employer.

Total costs are important. While many folks complain about subsidizing the ACA/Obamacare, folks like us already care about a wider pool of insurance costs. Our employee pool of young healthy folks should have much cheaper rates. All this indecision and political fighting of ACA just causes insurance companies to keep raising rates.

Ultimately, more companies are requiring their employees to cover more of their health costs. The ACA drastically lowered our rates a few years ago, though it’s had big jumps the last 2-3 years. We’re now about even with costs.

I need to switch to your car insurance company. Everyone I called in SC had increases this past year.

Dec 15, 2018, 10:01 PM

Not free Dave, month;y premium of $400 a month for me and the wife until we die but you must factor in 2 decades of working overseas in a dang hot desert while also living there to boot. Hardly free as working outside in temps up to 136 paid that bill in full.

Dec 15, 2018, 10:06 PM

The policy has no deductibles, covers any and all prescription drugs. LASIK, covered for $100 OUt of pocket, 2 surgeries covered $100 per surgery out of pocket that totaled $32k. Generally totally happy with my insurance and care but I did make life choices to get there.

Sounds like a good plan overall.

Dec 15, 2018, 10:20 PM

$400 cost to you stinks, but knowing your healthcare costs are relatively fixed must be nice.

Re: Sounds like a good plan overall.

Dec 15, 2018, 10:48 PM

$400 per month for 2 people is dirt cheap as it only goes down once hitting 65 and it becomes secondary coverage to Medicaid. Gotta remember no deductibles for anything ever, only a $100 out of pocket fee. Say I needed a $100k heart surgery, no deductible to concern myself with just a $100 out of pocket fee. Cancer is done in Houston where you are put up in an apartment at their cost after treatment until ready to go home. All at $100 out of pocket. Side benefit of it is also a monthly payment to the wife when I die of 15% of my final base salary for the rest of her life. That is works out to a nice bit of pocket change.

Dec 15, 2018, 10:10 PM [ in reply to Re: that’s not entirely true ]

They should have lower rates but that is the price of giving free health care away, mandating types of things policy must cover as well. Nothing is free , sadly Americans do not grasp that as they point to EU countries. That free stuff comes at high income tax rates, a 13%-28% VAT on all goods and services plus a stupid silly gas tax.

I pay well over 10% of my income for healthcare.

Dec 15, 2018, 9:34 PM

The only thing you know about me is my politics. You have no idea how much I've contributed in taxes over my 50 years of working. You have no idea how much I contributed to SS during those years. You have no idea how productive my seven children are and how much they support our government with their hard earned tax dollars.

Saying what you said about me as just as ignorant as me accusing you of shacking up with a welfare queen, living off food stamps and her gov check in gov housing. I'm not that stupid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Things you’ve shared over time

Dec 15, 2018, 9:42 PM

Your faith in God.
Your celebration of liberals suffering (some people will significantly be hurt by the change in ACA ruling, yet you celebrate).
The health challenges you and your family have had.

With all of the above, it’s hard for me to understand your posts and lack of compassion for others.

I apologize if I have you confused for someone else.

Because you asked.

Dec 16, 2018, 10:05 AM

I've been reading the Bible for over 6 decades. At different times some passages have deeper meanings to me than before. I'm thinking I probably couldn't handle the whole thing over a short period of time. If I can remember a verse it's because one of the times I read it was one of those times when it seemed to stand out to me.

I am not without compassion for the poor. I fear you are equating my intolerance for the lazy, worthless and workless class with those who can't work. You've never heard me complain about medicaid or medicare except to complain about the abuse by those who defraud the program and the working class. I have great passion for those in need and commend those who work and contribute to helping them. Imo, churches should do more and Gov should do less.

If not for the abuse of our social programs perhaps this would be within the scope of the churchs' ability.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/I--doubt-you-have-any-clue-what-the-Bible-says-24694124

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My parents pay over $11,000 a month for health care

Dec 15, 2018, 9:54 PM

And have for over 2 years now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My parents pay over $11,000 a month for health care

Dec 15, 2018, 9:56 PM

Dang Tiggity, that hurts to even ponder. You sure that is not yearly? That works out to $133K a year.

Ouch

Dec 15, 2018, 9:58 PM

That’s crazy high. Gotta bump up my retirement budget if true.

Yep. My dad has been in skilled nursing for over 2 years

Dec 15, 2018, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Re: My parents pay over $11,000 a month for health care ]

now. He can not walk, stand, or talk (much). He's legally blind and deaf. He can make a simple conversation on a good day. He has kidney failure (they're operating at 15-20%). He has diabetes. Congestive heart failure, and has been on and off of hospice several times. Also an unknown neurological condition that has literally crippled him. He can't do physical therapy because he can't follow instructions, plus his joints are frozen. He also has to be fed and can not feed himself.

Medicare does not pay for skilled nursing care, which he needs. My mother, and even I couldn't care for him. They have lifts, and equipment where he can be bathed and put in a wheelchair during the day. He can not go to the bathroom and has to be changed. I went by fed him supper tonight.

But no, medicare does not pay for skilled nursing care. Medicaid DOES pay for it if you're flat broke. But the facility charges are not covered. The nursing care is not covered. In fact, when you go into skilled nursing medicare stops paying for some of your medications. Hospice adds a nurse visit every day and pays for some medicine, but then other medicine is not covered when on hospice.

$269 a day is what his care costs. Then you have to add in about $1.5K a month in drugs medicare won't cover. Then you have my mother who is always in the doughnut hole. She pays about $1-2K a month for her insulin and other medications. Add it all up, and it's right at $11K.

They sold their house two years ago and have been using that money for the past two years. They've run through dad's retirement savings. Mom has her own which she's not touching. In another 6-8 months we will probably have to clear-cut timber to keep paying. Timber that was to be used for college for my three sons. After that there's a lakehouse to sell (where mom currently lives), and then the land the timber was on.

But if you do everything right, save your whole life, invest, and prepare for retirement, you will be killed by skilled nursing if you get Alzheimer's or something. Sit on your ### and collect SSD, or welfare, or whatever your whole life, and Medicaid WILL pay for skilled nursing. Once my parents are finally broke, having spent everything they worked for and saved for, medicaid will step in and pay.

Dad doesn't have alzheimers. He has something different. Worse really because his condition can fluctuate so wildly day to day. He does not know where he is, or anything about Clemson's football season. Some days he will sleep all day and barely open his eyes when it's bad. When he's doing well, he's up in a wheel chair and can talk some. He had a feeding tube for a year because he couldn't swallow. Swallowing came back thankfully but he still has trouble at times and his food goes from puree to solid depending on how well he's swallowing. Dad has been "qualified" for hospice for two years now, but he's not currently on it. We found hospice cuts out a lot of the (few) medications medicare still covers for him and keeping those maintenance medications (or an antibiotic if he gets a UTI for example) has to be paid for out of pocket on hospice. So we ended up spending more on hospice just to keep his regular meds going.

Dad does not have a DNR, and always wanted to be kept alive at all costs. Those were his wishes. But having seen what he's gone through, I've changed my will and medical power of attorney to include DNR. They're not even sure if whatever his condition is is genetic or hereditary or not. He's been to every hospital in Columbia, and been seen by every neurologist worth a #### in SC. Also been seen by neurosurgeons and neurologists at MCG. They're all stumped. Only other option is to head up to Duke and have genetic testing done (Medicare doesn't cover it and it's $8K). They can actually see where the disease appears in his DNA and at least identify it by genetic markers. But even then it would not provide a diagnosis. It could tell if it's hereditary or not. But at this point it's not even worth it. We've been told he's been tested for literally every neurological disease/disorder that exists. Identifying it in his DNA can lead to at least a very general diagnosis and understanding of the symptoms, but that's not really going to help anything.

In all fairness, I'm sure he's racked up well over a half million in medical bills that medicare DID cover before going into skilled nursing. He spent months in hospitals off and on for 2 years before even getting into skilled nursing. He's been in and out of ICU several times as well. Once with a bad heart rythm and CHF, and once with internal bleeding from the small intestine.

We have been told he will never get "better". His condition will get better and worse and fluctuate constantly, but they say overall it will be a very slow overall decline. His good days are not as good as they once were. His bad days are worse too. But I've seen a neurologist who said dad had maybe a month to live walk into the room a day after seeing him and pronounced a miracle as dad was awake and talked with him. So I'm done with doctors. They really are clueless about his condition. Brain wave testing shows his condition is basically like a constant state of being ALMOST asleep. He may appear to be sleeping, but is actually awake and aware. Then he may be awake, eyes opened, talk some, but otherwise is basically asleep with his eyes opened. That's how they explained it. It's like he's stuck right on the edge of sleep constantly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fudge Tiggity. Hate that your family is going through this

Dec 15, 2018, 10:40 PM

Stay strong!

Thanks.***

Dec 15, 2018, 11:09 PM

Re: Yep. My dad has been in skilled nursing for over 2 years

Dec 15, 2018, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Yep. My dad has been in skilled nursing for over 2 years ]

While everyone has their own choices to make according to their own situations and beliefs that story is why this country needs a End of Life Law. The time comes for me without one being enacted involves a chambered .40 as there is no way the nest egg I have attained is going for that, it will go to the wife who holds the same beliefs and then to my kids. Not to doctors, drugs to keep a shell of myself alive. Just my personal beliefs and for me it is what I would want.

regardless of the arguments on how to pay for it...

Dec 16, 2018, 12:53 AM [ in reply to Yep. My dad has been in skilled nursing for over 2 years ]

isn't your situation a good argument for why something like single payer or an expansion of medicare is needed? Your dad is going to receive the care he needs (as should always be the case) so his healthcare isn't treated like a commodity and payment is only considered after the fact.

Should that payment for his care then create such a financial hardship for you and your whole family that your future financial prospects are ruined? From the State's perspective this also impacts the economy overall as you (or other's in your situation)will have less ability to create a business and jobs (you can extend this argument out to taking the burden away for businesses having to factor in healthcare spending for their employees).

Your father's situation is an awful one and I'm glad he gets the care he needs, but it just seems unfair to him and you that it potentially will bankrupt your entire family.

First off, when medicaid picks up, he will be transferred to

Dec 16, 2018, 12:28 PM

a much worse place and get much worse care. Second, it is a huge expense. If it was "free" from the government someone is going to be taxed on the $8k a month for everyone who needs it. Also, I've seen what the VA does for skilled nursing care, first hand, and it's horrendous.

Dad's going to get the care he needs regardless. It's not going to break the family. I'm fine. Kids are fine for college through other means. It's just something few people know about or keep in mind. Most of the time skilled nursing care is an end-of-life thing that lasts maybe a year, tops. Dad's a very unique case. But from a care/expense standpoint, and an emotional hardship standpoint, it's as bad as it gets.

Mom and I have medical power of attorney and we're both on the same page that dad's not going back to a hospital. He has been in God's hands for a year now and we will treat him for everything that can be treated where he is. He had had 3-4 UTI's. Basic stuff like that. But our fear is he goes downhill bad again and can't swallow. Assuming all his other vitals are ok, that places us with the decision to use a feeding tube or not, and that's a tough call knowing if you do it, there's a good chance he will get "better" again ans see another Christmas. Don't do it and he would spend several weeks slowly starving and shutting down. CHF, heart attack, stroke, another internal bleeding episode, kidney failure, those are things mom and I can agree on to let them progress. But if all is "fine" except swallowing, that's a tough call for me, and for her.

We let it ride once when he had a bad turn and couldn't swallow and thankfully in a week he started swallowing again. They just kept feeding him puree foods and he didn't get pneumonia. I think if he gets bad again we will just do the same. Don't do the tube, roll the dice feeding puree foods versus pneumonia, and hope he improves quickly. We've signed all kinds of custom agreements with the facility to let them bypass some specific things. In the past, they had to transfer him for a swallow study every time in order to change his diet back to solid foods. After 4 times of that we signed off that we would decide based on his condition and eating, rather than a medical test. It's $160 every time he goes to a doctor or for a swallow study, or anywhere.

Whatever he has, I'd place it somewhere worse than ALS or alzheimers just because there's no progression and always the hope and knowledge he will "improve" again, although not get better. When this thing first started in 2014 he spent 2 months in a hospital and we were told initially he would never pull through. They wanted him to be put on hospice, and that was it. But he did improve. After 2-3 moths of physical therapy he got to go home and even was able to drive again. That lasted almost a year and he went downhill again in 2016 and hasn't taken a step since.

But back to your point, he would be dead now and will not get to see the grand kids open that .410 from mom and dad this Christmas if he was in a government fun facility. That I know. I'm just hoping he has a good day Christmas. Just two weeks ago I talked to him for 20 minutes on the phone and had a decent conversation. Yesterday he couldn't complete a sentence.

Dayum. Sorry your dad and family are going through this.

Dec 16, 2018, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Yep. My dad has been in skilled nursing for over 2 years ]

It sucks you have to be indigent before Medicare will kick in.

T&P's man.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

sorry your Dad and your family is going through this. You're

Dec 16, 2018, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Yep. My dad has been in skilled nursing for over 2 years ]

right, hospice won't cover medicine for treating any health issues to maintain or improve health. It provides pain medicine etc with the only goal to make the patient more comfortable at the end of life. So it's a whole different deal, and a big decision to go on hospice. I'm hearing about more people with mystery neurological issues that are similar to ALS. Not sure what the cause is, but it's a rough row to hoe.

And there's boatloads of people who are shocked to find out how expensive Long Term Care is, and how little the gov't pays for. There's insurance for that, but it's expensive too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i paid a crap load of premiums when i was not needing

Dec 15, 2018, 10:08 PM

any coverage-your turn now

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ed Zachary

Dec 15, 2018, 10:17 PM

Let’s fix that. Sounds like you’re on board.

Subsidizing costs isn’t that far away from socializing costs.

Shut up. Younger folk should pay more to make up for the

Dec 15, 2018, 11:00 PM

food stamps and other child welfare program you enjoyed at my expense.

Is that how to do this? seems right

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

The only fix to this is a bad word to the older generation

Dec 16, 2018, 1:45 AM

Raise taxes and create universal health care. This system is not working. The average American cannot afford $5000/month in medical bills, much less double that. This will eventually end in parents selling off their property to their kids while they're healthy to avoid being burdened by bills later in life and keeping as much of what they've acquired in the family. Bills will end up not being paid and once the parents are deceased, the hospitals will soon learn that the patients had no assets during probate hearings.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When will the old folks on this board pay their fair share for medical costs?

Dec 16, 2018, 2:14 PM

same goes for families that squeeze out 4-5 kids and expect a free education. They are the biggest takers out there.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic