Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about the LSU game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Question about the LSU game

Jul 3, 2013, 4:59 PM

Now, I know I'll be getting some hate for this just because of the avatar and the fact that I'm a "coot", but if you could contain your instinct to tell me my opinion doesn't matter here, go to FGF, or any other unnecessary vitriol spouted my way would just be chipper. This is a question just for the sake of curiosity, so no trolling or underlying themes in this question.

Knowing the outcome of the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, all of the emotion of that game... Sammy going down early, LSU jumps out to a quick lead and possesses the lead for a majority of the game, the 4th and 16, and the game winning FG at the end. Would you have traded that for FSU losing to Va Tech, going to Charlotte to play and very possibly beat GT (they did play FSU pretty hard, but FSU kinda played terribly), then going to the Orange Bowl with good odds on winning.

I kinda rambled, but basically the question is, keep the Chick-Fil-A Bowl exactly as it turned out, or take chances in Charlotte and Miami for something greater? Thanks I'll hang up and listen.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your opinion doesnt matter here - Go to FGF

Jul 3, 2013, 5:02 PM

honestly though, I think that's more of how you look at it, and if you believe momentum carries over into the next year.

I think beating LSU did more for the program than an orange bowl win over San Diego ST or whoever FSU played

Re: Question about the LSU game

Jul 3, 2013, 5:09 PM

Since we won the CFA bowl I say keep it like it is. Now before we played the game I was afraid we were going to lose and in that case I would say wish we gone to Orange Bowl.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No brainier, go to Charlotte.***

Jul 3, 2013, 5:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way! Keep it the way it was! The LSU win was one of the

Jul 3, 2013, 5:17 PM

most exciting college football moments that I've ever witnessed! I wouldn't trade that for the chance that we'd get two potentially lame, more boring games against lesser opponents.

Jul 3, 2013, 5:14 PM

I would have gotten drunk either way...so, I'm not picky.

This is easy....

Take that CFB win over that "SEC Elite" team!

It was/IS a momemtum builder and recruits saw the game as well.

Next question???

Go Tigers!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is easy....Take that CFB win over that "SEC Elite"

Jul 3, 2013, 8:07 PM

Agree! Over the hump game!
Take that CFB win over that "SEC Elite" team!

It was/IS a momemtum builder and recruits saw the game as well.
ALL IN ALL THE WAY TO PASADENA

Good question...

But only because the Orange Bowl had crappy Northern Illinois.

If the Orange Bowl had been a great bowl like it's supposed to be this question would be a no-brainer...go to Charlotte and play for the ACC Title.

agreed.***

Jul 3, 2013, 5:18 PM

Re: Good question...

Jul 3, 2013, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Good question... ]

None of the above. I'd take a win over the dirt peckers and a potential Sugar Bowl birth. Would've been cool to slam the Gators in New Orleans. But thats not the way it worked out. Still, beating two $EC teams in one season was nice. Lets hope we do the same this year in the regular season and perhaps that could set up a date with a third $ec school in January. Was I supposed to be humble?

Wasnt it said that the USuC game had no impact

Jul 3, 2013, 5:28 PM

like everyone thought it did on the sugar bowl?

Absolutely not

Jul 3, 2013, 5:36 PM

If we had beaten SC, we would have been in NOLA for sure against UF. Louisville vs FSU in Sugar Bowl

oops i mean FSU vs UL in Orange Bowl***

no we wouldn't

Jul 3, 2013, 5:57 PM [ in reply to Absolutely not ]

NIU got the an automatic bid because of the BCS by-laws

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jul 3, 2013, 5:18 PM

I would have taken the ACC championship and the BCS Bowl win. 12-2 with a Conference championship and a BCS victory is pretty awesome.

Can't take away what the LSU victory did to boost recruiting and hype heading into the 2013 season. LSU was a very good team, and it was great win.

I know that SCAR would probably take a loss to Clemson and trade it with a win against UF or LSU so they could have a shot at BAMA and an SEC championship.

I would keep the LSU win.

Jul 3, 2013, 5:20 PM

Since we don't play in the SEC and every sports writer in the land seems to believe that you cannot be a good team if you do not play in the SEC, I want every opportunity to prove ourselves against them. FSU got no respect for winning the Orange Bowl against Nobody State.

Funny you should ask that

Jul 3, 2013, 5:34 PM

I found myself thinking the exact same thing not too long after the game. Only I wasn't thinking about FSU, I was thinking about the loss to SC. I was obviously mad after that game and a win would have most likely put us in the Sugar Bowl against Florida.

But I was happy with the LSU match up, so I embraced where we were headed.

Lo and behold, we came out of an instant classic with one of the biggest wins over the last 20 years.

So I have come to think of it as living up to my life philosophy - "Everything happens for a reason"

Yeah, losing to SC at home sucked and yeah, VT winning would have put us in the ACC championship, but I got to be at the CFA bowl in person with my Dad and what a great, memorable experience that was.

So to answer your question, I would keep it how it was

Thanks for the thought provoking question, now get back to FGF ;)

I'll credit you with a good question. So what you're really

asking is what is better (assuming we won out):

1) ACC Champions and a BCS win

or

2) Beating LSU in the most exciting bowl game

At this point I would probably chose beating LSU. While another ACCC and a BCS win will look better in the record books 10 years from now, I think beating LSU gave us more exposure with recruits and more momentum going into this season. So in reality I think it benefits our team more.

Jul 3, 2013, 5:37 PM

That's a good question. I think I would trade the CFA bowl win for a chance to repeat as ACC champs and go to a BCS bowl again. Clemson needs to show Florida and Georgia recruits that we're the best team in the ACC right now, not FSU.

FGF is calling

Jul 3, 2013, 5:43 PM

You set yourself up for that.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I would have wanted to win the ACC and then.....

Jul 3, 2013, 5:44 PM

the Orange Bowl - those would have been bigger IMO overall than winning the game over LSU.

i'll say the lsu win. shows espn and all the pumpers that sec is beatable and human afterall***

Jul 3, 2013, 5:54 PM

Re: question about the LSU game

Jul 3, 2013, 5:55 PM

The only game I swap it for would have been a chance at a NC.

ACC Championship and BCS bowl money. Period.

Jul 3, 2013, 5:57 PM

Beating LSU was awesome but you take hardware and titles EVERY time.

ACC title

Jul 3, 2013, 5:59 PM

I think I'd probably take the conference championship and OB victory, but can't complain with the way it worked out.

Also, for those of you saying if we'd have won vs SC we would have been in the Sugar Bowl, that's incorrect. Northern Illinois took the at large bid we were hoping for. The Sugar would have had to select Clemson over Florida, which wasn't happening. So outside of the ACC title, we were headed to the Peach.

most years I would say a conference championship

Jul 3, 2013, 6:02 PM

because generally you wont face a team as bad as NIU in a bcs bowl and you wouldn't face a 10-2 in the CFA Bowl. However I am pleased with how it worked out last season.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Sure you're not trolling

Jul 3, 2013, 6:08 PM

That's a loaded question and you're gonna run back to weinertalk and start a thread about how Clemson fans claim the SEC isn't that great yet they covet the win over LSU.

To be honest though I wouldn't trade the LSU win even for a win over Scar. Not because it was a "mighty" SEC team but because it along with Louisville's win over Florida proved the SEC hype is in fact just hype.

Darn, you know me too well... How's the ban been?

Jul 3, 2013, 6:11 PM

(seriously, check ctalk, great timing)

Was I right or was I right?

Jul 3, 2013, 6:15 PM

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=193493

ukfa offhay, ootcay

Jul 4, 2013, 7:28 AM [ in reply to Sure you're not trolling ]

Sorry to the gentlemen who are offended by pig latin (the really dead language)!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would take an Orange Bowl rematch against WVU.

Jul 3, 2013, 6:11 PM

But not NIU. So I say Chick Fil A.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Normally i would say ACCCG and Orange Bowl with no

Jul 3, 2013, 6:18 PM

hesitation, but given the crappy competition we would've faced in both of those games, I'll stick with the LSU win.

Jul 3, 2013, 7:02 PM

Either way I am proud of the Tigers. Win lose or draw.( It don't happen anymore but I remember it.
I will always support Clemson as long as they support the right way of doing thongs.
Really ain't impressed with the SEC.

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Jul 3, 2013, 7:03 PM

Definitely did not mean thongs, but it is a thought.

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

CFA, duh

Jul 3, 2013, 7:29 PM

We were cocky when we went to the Orange Bowl. Our boys expected to win because, up until the loss, that was "our bowl". The last time we were there was was when we won wonthe national championship, and I have no doubt our boys and Clemson nation exlected to win simply because of that. Like a spoiled kid from a rich family expects to get a brand new Range Rover as his first first car. We paid dearly for tha mistake.

A "comeback" Orange Bowl win against NIU, a nobody school that is better suited for D2 football instead of D1, would be a joke. The already low credibility ESecPN gives us would have just been amplified. We could've said our 11 wins was great, but everyobe else would've just laughed and called us weak for taking on a lesser opponent and winning.

Our win over LSU was perfect. It was exactly what we needed to shut up those idiots on the TV and to open the door to amazing opportunities for our program.

At that moment, keep the LSU win.***

Jul 3, 2013, 7:32 PM

A LSU win in the hand is worth two Coots in a Nest! Fax it

Jul 3, 2013, 7:40 PM

Haaaa. gOTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A LSU win in the hand is worth two Coots in a Nest! lol!

Jul 3, 2013, 8:09 PM

AGREE - GOOD LAUGH! ALL IN ALL THE WAY TO PASADENA

Good question and I have an answer for you and then

Jul 3, 2013, 8:13 PM

some. I went to most of the games, including each home game and the bowl win over LSU. My position was made after the bowl win and has been maintained ever since. Here we go:

Yes, I would have given FSU a victory over Va Tech to march to the ACC championship. Why? Well, after losing to USC for four straight years a victory over LSU in any bowl would have done more for the program than a BCS bowl win over N. Illinois. We needed a big win. In all honesty, outside of the hurt of losing to you guys for the 4th time in a row beating LSU was better for us than beating you guys would have been. I do not mean this to down play our loss to you, I can not as it hurt. But, had we beat you guys it would have been great and fun and we would have been satisfied in getting back on top. We still would have gone to Atlanta for a bowl game b/c N. Illinois made it in the BCS. Then, I think we would have lost to LSU as we would not have been as determined. In short, we gained more nationally by beating LSU then we would have by beating you guys. Now, this fall, I want to beat you in your stadium no matter what else happens. It is getting old and needs to be fixed!

Jul 3, 2013, 8:22 PM

While I would have loved another trip to Charlotte (especially considering that I had bought tickets early in the season) I felt like we ended up with the better bowl. Our bowl had more of a BCS feel than the Orange did. If it was WVU again I would have loved a chance at redemption.

This year I've got my eyes set on Pasadena. We had a chance to go undefeated in the regular season last year. We led in every game going into the 4th. Unfortunately we let it slip away against FSU and the cootcocks. Of course I don't assume that we'll go undefeated. Our opener could be pretty rough, but at least that's a home game. We've got USuC away. Can't wait to see what we can do.

Worked out perfectly the way it was...Think of this

Jul 3, 2013, 9:06 PM

1 game on I believe that night....EVERYONE was watching our awesomeness...not 6 other games going on....Thanks Recruiting!!!

That would've been back-to-back ACC Championships

Jul 3, 2013, 9:10 PM

and a chance to redeem ourselves in the Orange Bowl after the WVU beat down...I'd take that over the CFA Bowl anyday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: That would've been back-to-back ACC Championships

Jul 3, 2013, 9:49 PM

But also having to listen to the announcers talk all night long about the WV game.

No thanks

Actually, an interesting question, so I'll play along.

Jul 3, 2013, 10:17 PM

I can't imagine a more exciting scenario than that CFA bowl game nor one with greater significance unless it was for the national championship. We were the underdogs against one of the more storied programs in the SEC, had a massive TV audience and put on one h3ll of an offensive and defensive battle...one in which the defensive play surprised and elated most Tigers.

The outcome didn't reflect the actual performance, for the stats told the real story. Who could forget that 4th and 16 play? Or the stunning, nail-biting race to the finish? Or the sight of LSU players crumbling to the ground? That football fans across the nation celebrated our win with us was a story into itself.

Most importantly, the win proved that we had the talent and staff to compete with the best, and that was just the momentum builder for self-confidence that we needed for the upcoming season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do we still have to play Northern Illinois?

Jul 3, 2013, 10:57 PM

If yes, then I'll take a win over a top 10 LSU in Atlanta.

If Northern Illinios is replaced by another top 10 -12 team, give me Charlotte with a chance at Miami.

Beating a top 10 team is a bigger springboard into the next season.

Keep the LSU win! Would never trade that last 8 min.***

Jul 4, 2013, 7:20 AM

To answer your question. The LSU win did a lot more for

Jul 4, 2013, 8:05 AM

Clemson than an Orange Bowl win would have done over who? NIU. How many college sports fans would readily recognize NIU. But, when the country saw us bear LSU, during the only game in country, in dramatic fashion....I mean, how many times has South Carolina beaten LSU since they have been in the SEC?

And personally, I would ten times rather beat UGA and South Carolina this year with another loss to FSU. If we are going to have a loss that knocks us out of our chance for a title, I'd just as soon it would be to FSU.

That's a good question but I would trade it.

Jul 4, 2013, 9:29 AM

Winning your conference championship matters but do think we needed the LSU win however.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic