Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For me personally the Chick-fil-A Bowl closes out
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

For me personally the Chick-fil-A Bowl closes out

Jan 5, 2013, 6:34 PM

the long period of ups and downs with the football program that we have all gone through. To me that period goes all the way back to the 89 Citrus bowl win over Oklahoma. For me that was the most bittersweet bowl victory. Along with the 82 Orange Bowl it bookended the 80s and seemed to confirm that Clemson was destined to be an elite progam in the 90s.I remember in his column in the Greenville News after the Citrus Bowl Dan Foster saying how big the win was and that Clemson would compete with the best of the best for years to come.At the time the sky seemed to be the limit for Clemson football.But we all know how things turned out. Danny was fired a year later and everything changed.But the win over LSU makes it seem again that Clemson can compete with anyone. Nothing is guarenteed but its a great feeling to have again after so many years. Does anyone else have any similar memories of the 89 Citrus bowl?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes!***

Jan 5, 2013, 6:35 PM

We want Dabo and staff fired. Find Hatfield!

Jan 5, 2013, 6:49 PM

signed
bluelowcaddy
amandakissandhug
charlestontommy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hatfield made it rain for L.A.!***

Jan 5, 2013, 8:37 PM

Totally agree. Right there with you. ***

Jan 5, 2013, 6:51 PM

Nm

I think you must mean the 89 Gator Bowl

Jan 5, 2013, 7:16 PM

Danny's last game

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think you must mean the 89 Gator Bowl

Jan 5, 2013, 7:36 PM

No.I am talking about the January 1989 Citrus Bowl.I realise the 89 Gator Bowl was Danny's last game and it was a big win, epecially how Clemson manhandled Major Harris but to me the Citrus Bowl win was even bigger.Oklahoma and Barry Switzer were "power football" back then and Clemson beat them at their own game.

Yes, however Dabo is not the rebel Danny was...

Jan 5, 2013, 7:18 PM

Except Dabo is not a rebel like Danny was - trying to get his way with admin. He was great coach but poor politician.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Terry Allen said something to the effect that....

Jan 5, 2013, 7:29 PM

..having spent some time around the OU players during the week, "you could tell they didn't respect us". Also, If I remember right, someone asked Switzer after the game if Clemson's program was now on par with OU. Switzer responded something like "Clemson would have to beat us 100 times in a row" for that to be true....

Danny's last bowl game was the 89 Gator.***

Jan 5, 2013, 7:44 PM

Clemson Soldier

Yes,vs Wva....

Jan 5, 2013, 8:36 PM

the Okla game was the 88 season.

Re: For me personally the Chick-fil-A Bowl closes out

Jan 5, 2013, 8:02 PM

I have a serious question. Not a flame in any way. You guys have debated dabo's merits pretty intensely. Some said he couldnt get it done. Some point to his age and growth as a coach. Does the victory over lsu, which is obviously a huge point in his favor, also signal the end of the honeymoon? If this was a program changer and a team growing up is it time to maintain that level of play and acheivement? If it doesnt happen now what will the general feeling be?

Look markb1127

Jan 5, 2013, 8:16 PM

the point of my post was not to debate Dabo's merits but to see who had the same feelings about the January 1989 Bowl between Clemson and Oklahoma , that it was a great moment and opportunity for Clemson football that was lost after Danny was fired and that now with the win over LSU Clemson has the chance to be great again.

Re: Look markb1127

Jan 5, 2013, 8:49 PM

My apologies if it seemed I was trying to change the subject. Dont mean to hijack the thread. Maybe the question needs its own thread but i thought this was a good place. I didnt want a response on dabo's merits. My question was in reference to your feeling that clemson can compete with anyone again, which I actually agree with. My question is now that clemson has proven they can compete with anyone, is that the new expectation? Has dabo raised his own bar with this win? Its really more of a question about fan expectations than it is a question about dabo.

Apology accepted BUT please repost it as a separate thread

Jan 5, 2013, 8:58 PM

I want to stick to the subject.

Re: Apology accepted BUT please repost it as a separate thread

Jan 5, 2013, 9:10 PM

No problem.

Markb1127: quick question for you.....

Jan 5, 2013, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Re: For me personally the Chick-fil-A Bowl closes out ]

...when, as far as you can see into the future, do you think USC will win their first SEC FB title? I ask that while keeping in mind that so many SEC fans, while pulling for the SEC, have to realize the chances of their school (USC, Arkansas, Miss State, Missouri, VAnderbilt, Kentucky, Ole Miss and others) ever actually reaching the top is somewhere between slim and none....

Re: Markb1127: quick question for you.....

Jan 5, 2013, 8:43 PM

I didnt predict the future. I asked a hypothetical question?

I understand. I was just wondering how you felt about.....

Jan 5, 2013, 8:50 PM

..the whole "cheer for the SEC" thing even if USC will never get the full fruits of it.....

Re: I understand. I was just wondering how you felt about.....

Jan 5, 2013, 8:56 PM

I do cheer for the sec. No problem admitting that. I dont like a lot of the teams but there is no denying that all the hype the conference gets produces tangiblr benefits for my school. That being said, while I may want the sec team to win an out of conference game, if they do lose I still enjoy watching their fans suffer. Especially tenn, uga, and auburn fans.

Re: Markb1127: quick question for you.....

Jan 5, 2013, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Markb1127: quick question for you..... ]

Just occurred to me that I dodged the question. I think next year is the best shot we will have ever had to win it just based on scheduling. I realize we are not the favorites though and it is tough pinnacle to reach.

Re: For me personally the Chick-fil-A Bowl closes out

Jan 5, 2013, 8:11 PM

You forget what happened last time after beating a ranked SEC team in the peach bowl . Ill wait for the rings before we start sounding like Florida State fans.

I remember what happened with Tennessee

Jan 5, 2013, 8:25 PM

I can still hear my brother saying he couldnt remember another football program so unable to take advantage of such a big win recruiting wise. But that was TB.

Re: I remember what happened with Tennessee

Jan 5, 2013, 10:25 PM

Just because it was TB means nothing . U asked was this a program changing win and my respnse is wait and see . 26-10 , 63-17 , beating Miami all could have been program chaging events and it didn't happen. Normally events that will change a program can not be identified in less than a week , 2 years from now maybe.

I agree, not only was this the biggest bowl win, but

Jan 5, 2013, 8:34 PM

biggest win for CU since that OU game in 88/89.

I contend it was the 2nd biggest win in Clemson history.***

Jan 5, 2013, 8:35 PM

Time to work on next season now. Go Tigers, Beat UGA!***

Jan 5, 2013, 8:41 PM

Clemson Soldier

Re: Time to work on next season now. Go Tigers, Beat UGA!***

Jan 5, 2013, 8:57 PM

Saying...I was at urinal just before the Rose Bowl Game started...and the guy near me yelled out that Clemson's win over OKIE had cost him $100...and I screamed out "Go TiGERs"..and I got stares from everyone.

I had my Clemson gear on and when entering the Stadium a NBC person asked if I was at the wrong game!

I had purchased a small battery operated TV to watch the start of the game while at the Rose Bowl Parade..and had to leave it in the tour bus when arriving at the stadium..and while peeing I learned we had won.

Now that's special!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree, not only was this the biggest bowl win, but

Jan 5, 2013, 10:45 PM [ in reply to I agree, not only was this the biggest bowl win, but ]

How far we have fallen and how soon we forget , if this is the programs biggest win its a shame. It is absolutely Dabo s biggest win though.

Yep...CU was an elite program and seems to be coming back***

Jan 7, 2013, 9:34 AM

I would put the Citrus Bowl loss to Cal in '92 as the beginn

Jan 7, 2013, 9:38 AM

ing of the demise of Clemson football.

It was the '92 season, 5-6, that officially blew the petals off the rose and showed us that losing could happen to us. It also showed us that Ken Hatfield wasn't the right coach.

But I also agree, beating LSU is a big deal, and shows we can step on the field and play with anybody.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic