Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is it about Syracuse??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

What is it about Syracuse??

Oct 25, 2020, 9:56 AM

I mean...seems like every time. They are always up for CU, but most teams are.

And it always ends up being a different game than people think it will be going into it.

Also seems like every Syracuse game there are problems with QB hits. Maybe yesterday Clemson brought that on themselves more than anything else...but....

Anyway...what’s with Syracuse?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their orange is like Kryptonite to our Orange.

Oct 25, 2020, 10:03 AM

They're the ANTI-Orange.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is it about Syracuse??

Oct 25, 2020, 10:06 AM

IDK but wish they were in the coastal so we wouldn't have to go to the Jiffy Pop Dome every other year. Once every 12 years would be enough for me.

They came in jacked-up, and did a better job of playing

Oct 25, 2020, 10:07 AM

that way the entire game. When we let up a little or didn't give effort, they took advantage of it. I'm just happy we came out of the game without a QB injury. Two in a row, after injuries in three in a row (Watson in 16, Bryant in 17, and Lawrence in 18).

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 10:07 AM

Maybe it's not that Syracuse is up for Clemson, but rather Clemson just can't seem to prepare for them.
Tommy seemed to have that problem with Virginia if I remember. Maybe Syracuse is Dabo's Virginia.

Oct 25, 2020, 11:00 AM

Duke and Wake Forest too during the TB era. Danny had some bad games against Duke in the 80's too.

Danny had one bad game against Duke, ‘89. His pain was NCSU 3 years in s row, ‘86-88.***

Oct 25, 2020, 7:03 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They’ve given us two close games since they joined the ACC

Oct 25, 2020, 4:15 PM

One loss when our QB was hurt.

One close win when our starting QB was hurt.

Other than that, we’ve totally owned them on the score board.

Even this past Saturday.

Oct 25, 2020, 5:41 PM

More than likely several factors:

1. I remember Evander Holyfield saying (paraphrasing) that it's hard to get up for a fight when you know you're better than the other guy. If that is true of a totally grown man and heavyweight boxing champion, then what can we deduce about the mindset of a group of 19/20-year-olds who just came off a blowout win over GA Tech?

2. It's usually Syracuse's only real shot at having that "statement game" now that FSU is playing like the rest of the ACC (sorry bretfsu).

3. Dabo is more likely to sit "banged up" players against opponents like Syracuse, than opponents like Miami and ND.

4. It is my belief that Dabo is experimenting quite a bit in these types of games, because he is confident that we'll still win convincingly.

Even if #4 is true, our coaches devise a game plan for success, as long as the players execute well. In my view, yesterday was more about Clemson's poor execution on certain plays, than Syracuse's performance.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Right on a lot of points, biggest one is

Oct 25, 2020, 5:55 PM

They come in jacked up to beat the #1 team. They have nothing to lose and play over their heads. We saw this with Virginia this year too.

Like it or not, our guys knew how strongly they were favored and went into this game without passion. Several starters took the week off, because the coaches knew we wouldn’t need them. But, as Dabo himself said, the gap is not so great between teams, there are no bye weeks, so you gotta play hard or you lose. Our depth of talent was enough to win when it mattered.

The think we have to get fixed is blocked punts and high snaps. We’ve seen the high snaps several times now, and they can be disastrous in a tight game. TL16 made an amazing 1 hop catch of that missed snap, but it easily could have been fumbled for a TO deep in our end.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Right on a lot of points, biggest one is

Oct 25, 2020, 7:18 PM

Good point on the high snaps. We've been through it before with Guillermo, Cervenka, and others, so the coaches should know what to do to fix it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

It's just hard to get up for a team whose Mascot is a

Oct 25, 2020, 5:46 PM

mindless Fruit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 7:26 PM

I think it just comes down to Dino’s system. I think it works well against Clemson, but they always fall short (outside of one upset), because they just don’t have the personnel to compete for a full game.

Aside from that, when you’re the number one ranked team, prepare for everyone’s best shot. We get every teams best swing every week. Some will be closer than expected, most get a clean beat down.

BC, get ready. Here we come! Go Tigers!

Oct 25, 2020, 7:31 PM

The game easily could have been 56-7 without the mistakes.. There were a lot of miscues in pass protection and we were stubbornly experimenting with our inside run game which put us in a lot of 3rd and longs.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 7:54 PM

Pretty sure Clemson is the only team Dino preps for.

Oct 25, 2020, 8:00 PM

I bet if we played them again next week, we'd beat them by 60.

Some coaches simply plan for the biggest games and think looking past Liberty will get them 2 wins. Little did they know, Liberty was gonna rush for 300+ yards on them.

If you go back and look at teams that play us, many times they lose again the following week.

Syracuse for example, the last 7 years, have lost their next game 5/7 times. 3 of those times, they didn't win another game the rest of the season.

2019 - Lost to us, beat Western Michigan
2018 - Lost to us, lost to Pitt the next week.
2018 - Lost to us, lost to Pitt the next week.
2017 - Beat us, then lost their next (and last) 5 of the season
2016 - Lost to us, lost their next (and last) 3 of the season
2015 - Lost to us, lost to NC state the next week
2014 - Lost to us, lost their next (and last) 5 of the season

NC state is also guilty of lay eggs after playing us as they've lost 4 games the week after playing Clemson the last 6 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure we crushed cuse in 2019....***

Oct 25, 2020, 8:22 PM

Re: Pretty sure we crushed cuse in 2019....***

Oct 25, 2020, 8:38 PM

Opps. Yep. Corrected.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what? Clemson beat Cuse by more than 3 tds

Oct 25, 2020, 10:16 PM

Clemson is 7-2 vs Cuse with an avg margin of victory 17 points (almost 3 tds) ..and it would be worse if it wasn't for the NINETY SIX Gator bowl.

Date CUSE CLEM
10/24/2020 21- 47
9/14/2019 6 - 41
9/29/2018 23 - 27
10/13/2017 27 - 24
11/5/2016 0 - 54
11/14/2015 27 - 37
10/25/2014 6 - 16
10/5/2013 14 - 49
1/1/1996 L41-0 Gator Bowl

Cuse is just another stepping stone

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dino is a Man of Faith

Oct 26, 2020, 8:24 AM

and we don't play them with hate in our heart.

Oct 26, 2020, 12:09 PM

Maybe our players were peeking too much over at that Syracuse cheerleader. And who could blame them! ??

Their players didn’t get the memo that Dino and Dabo are

Oct 26, 2020, 12:19 PM

friends.

You have to demoralize Cuse early. If you don't, they get

Oct 26, 2020, 12:23 PM

to thinking they can keep it close and catch a break. Hot day, noon game, Syracuse always plays us tough at least for a while, and Clemson simply wasn't sharp, especially on O. Not having Skalski's emotion on the field may have played into it a little. The long TD and pick 6 by them gave them hope and they hung around but the big thing was our O. Trevor was off, should've had about 3 picks. Somebody besides #3 needs to step up in the WR corp, too. Way too many drops. Just not much energy Saturday for several reasons, it seems. I'm not complaining because I know those days are going to happen but the WR thing is starting to become a concern for me. Better teams are going to hurt us if we can't stretch the field better.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic