Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Danny Ford's Swagger Vs Dabo's High Energy...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Danny Ford's Swagger Vs Dabo's High Energy...

Apr 30, 2013, 11:29 AM

I am not one of those people that thinks Danny Ford needs to return....I also think Dabo is doing a great job...But there is an aspect of Coach Ford I wished we had in Dabo...

With the ring of honor chatting going around I have watched some old 80's Clemson videos and one thing about Danny Ford more than anything was his swagger.....He had "mojo" if you will. Even when he was getting fired up he did it with a certain swagger that I cannot fully describe.....

You could tell that Danny Ford always expected to win and so did the team.

An example that comes to mind is the last time we played UGA every year and we won late or perhaps stopped a late come back......Coach Ford said in the post game interview "That was too close"......Think about that. Dabo would have said something along the line of "Our players didn't give up" or something like that..which is fine....But Coach Ford, in saying "that was too close" against UGa was saying he fully expected to win that game and couldn't believe that it got like that.........That is swagger IMO....

Thoughts?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

So what your saying...

Apr 30, 2013, 11:34 AM

is that Danny Ford and Chad Kelly would have been a scary combination?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So what your saying...

Apr 30, 2013, 11:37 AM

I think chad maybe has been a bit too pampered in his life to suit Danny.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2013, 11:38 AM

I think Chad off the field and Chad on the field are not the same guy. I have talked to a few players that say he works as hard or harder than anyone on the field.

Apr 30, 2013, 11:42 AM

Absolutely. Clemson will win a lot of football games with Chad Kelly under center. Might have to learn a bit his first year but after that. We picked up one of the better QBs in that recruiting class. Good arm and can run. He is a leader.

yeah he mouthed off a bit prior to coming to Clemson but at least he has some fire and wants to whip everyones tail.

Apr 30, 2013, 11:40 AM [ in reply to So what your saying... ]

Well now that you mention it, Chad has very good running skills and has a winners mentality. It would be fun seeing him run the option. With his fighting attitude he would had probably run the keeper often.

A lot more athletic than Rodney I think and with a very good arm. Like Rodney, I think Chad is a winner.

Re: Danny Ford's Swagger Vs Dabo's High Energy...

Apr 30, 2013, 11:51 AM

Danny Ford has forgotten more about coaching than Dabo knows. He knows how to win...without going out and trying to find someone else to ride their coattails. Dabo and Danny should not go in the same sentence. Ford was a hard-nosed, old-school football coach that would get in the faces of players when they did something wrong. He was a great football coach. He didn't play to the media. The man just coached football and was good at it

2 different men. But both are winners. So no problems here.

Apr 30, 2013, 11:57 AM

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet you were criticizing Dabo when he hired the ones

Apr 30, 2013, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford's Swagger Vs Dabo's High Energy... ]

your saying he's riding their coattails now

Re: I bet you were criticizing Dabo when he hired the ones

Apr 30, 2013, 12:01 PM

No, Dabo isn't dumb for hiring Morris, he is smart. Anyone can figure that out. Without Morris, no ten wins with that D

And without Dabo no top 10 classes with superior athletes

Apr 30, 2013, 12:04 PM

to fuel Morris's O and compete against FSU at the elite level.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And without Dabo no top 10 classes with superior athletes

Apr 30, 2013, 12:10 PM

Better coaches equal better players. If Morris goes for a HC, things will change slightly.

I think someone made the post in this thread or another one that good coaches can make average players better. What about great players that get average coaches? What happens to their development?

I don't believe that. Dabo is as good a recruiter as there

Apr 30, 2013, 12:20 PM

is out there. He has a plan and he and the coaches under him work their buts off to carry out and bring elite talent to Clemson.

Chad Morris is good at O strategy just like Tom Harper or Bill Oliver put together Clemson's hard-hitting D's for Danny Ford.

Clemson's players have been getting better and better if you have not noticed it. They have learned how to win and learned how to compete at an elite level. UGA, FSU, and USuC should be great tests this year.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Come on Thomas! Don't you know Danny didn't even need good

Apr 30, 2013, 5:57 PM

assistants? He could have coached all the positions all by himself. He was the Chock Norris of coaching! LOL.

Re: I don't believe that. Dabo is as good a recruiter as there

May 1, 2013, 11:37 AM [ in reply to I don't believe that. Dabo is as good a recruiter as there ]

What do you not believe?

So then he goes and hires another good OC. And?

Apr 30, 2013, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Re: And without Dabo no top 10 classes with superior athletes ]

You're wildly underestimating the value of a head coach, and there isn't a head coach out there that can survive without good assistants.

Re: So then he goes and hires another good OC. And?

May 1, 2013, 11:38 AM

It depends on if they are calling the shots or not.

Re: I bet you were criticizing Dabo when he hired the ones

Apr 30, 2013, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: I bet you were criticizing Dabo when he hired the ones ]

So you're not willing to give Dabo credit for the 10 wins but you are willing to put the the Defensive problems on him. Either way as long as Dabo is putting good results on the field and competing with the best of the best, and doing so in an ethical manner, I'm happy with him.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

I think you are being too hard on Dabo

Apr 30, 2013, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford's Swagger Vs Dabo's High Energy... ]

Dabo is doing a fine job and I think just a little swagger would go a long way with him......

I do think that Chad Morris has a swagger about him...You can just tell he expects to win all the time.

Both played football for Alabama, while Dabo won a national

Apr 30, 2013, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford's Swagger Vs Dabo's High Energy... ]

championship as a player. Danny was an assistant coach, first as a grad assistant at Alabama for 1 year and at Virginia Tech and Clemson for 5 years prior to becoming a head coach at Clemson. Dabo was an assistant coach at Alabama and Clemson for 13 years prior to taking the head coaching job at Clemson. Danny Ford never served as an offensive or defensive coordinator. Dabo Swinney never served as an offensive or defensive coordinator.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blasphemy!***

Apr 30, 2013, 5:57 PM

That's completely ignorant.

Apr 30, 2013, 5:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford's Swagger Vs Dabo's High Energy... ]

When Danny was hired in 1978 he was just as green as Dabo. He lived by his assistants (and corresponding cheating), and until the day he was forced to resign from Clemson (for insubordination) he lived by assistants.

Danny wasn't an expert in offense and he didn't coach offense. Danny wasn't an expert in defense nor did he coach coach defense. He hired good assistants, and he let his assistants coach. Danny was a CEO.. just like Dabo.

And by the way this past season was just as successful as any season Danny had.. save the National Championship year and maybe some time while we were on probation beating nobodies.

Danny is gone, and Dabo is doing a tremendous job in a tougher ACC. Get over it, and please try to be less ignorant of reality.

Exactly. Ford was a coach, a motivator. Dabo is an

May 1, 2013, 2:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford's Swagger Vs Dabo's High Energy... ]

excitable little boy. A cheerleader. Ford was more coach @ 32 than Dabo will ever be. Ford was what, 32 or 33, when he won the National Championship? He was fired after 11 years and great success and was still younger than Dabo is now!! And we were on the verge of even greater success when Ford was fired. He brought us back from probation even stronger and was building a top 10 power!!

Dabo will be like TB, he will live & die based on his coordinators, or more likely the success of his OC. The only difference in Dabo & TB is Dabo has an OC that can outscore the teams we were losing to that we should have been beating, but we still get out coached by teams with equal talent, and beat by teams that play really physical up front (USC).

Take away the LSU win and Dabo doesn't have a truly big or signature win. And LSU should have won. Stupid Les Miles was throwing the ball when all he had to do was run out the clock. It's not the first time he blew a game they had won with poor clock management. He is great at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

Dabo's theme song ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJefPK_UkdM

I'm sorry....

May 1, 2013, 8:16 AM

That's a shame your mama dropped you on concrete when you were a baby. You should harder to control it though. You sound like that moron Blue Caddy, and nobody wants that.

Re: Exactly. Ford was a coach, a motivator. Dabo is an

May 1, 2013, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Exactly. Ford was a coach, a motivator. Dabo is an ]

Really, LSU should have won huh? These numbers tell a different story. Looks to me like LSU was lucky to even come as close as they did.

Team Stat Comparison
LSU CLEM
1st Downs 9 32
3rd down efficiency 3-13 8-18
4th down efficiency 0-0 1-3
Total Yards 219 445
Passing 120 346
Comp-Att 14-23 36-50
Yards per pass 5.2 6.9
Rushing 99 99
Rushing Attempts 25 50
Yards per rush 4.0 2.0
Penalties 7-66 6-47
Turnovers 1 2
Fumbles lost 0 2
Interceptions thrown 1 0
Possession 23:39 36:21

May 1, 2013, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford's Swagger Vs Dabo's High Energy... ]

Danny's second year didn't turn out so good. He said himself that after that year he realized he couldn't do it all. He said he needed to start trusting his talented coordinators to do their jobs. He attributed his success in the coming years to this change in philosophy. Smart coaches hire other smart coaches and let them do their jobs. As for the comment about Danny holding players (and coaches for that matter) accountable, Dabo has done this from day one.

Did swagger exist in the early 80s?***

Apr 30, 2013, 1:23 PM

Apr 30, 2013, 3:04 PM

JMO - but I loved the way Danny was always in the game and every opponent knew CLEMSON could win ANY game they played - down to the final seconds. Danny was simply a better coach IMO.

That said: Dabo is a GREAT recruiter, has made incredible coaching hires, and has our team headed in the right direction after inheriting a team coached by TB.

Dabo will be fine - but these two guys are very different. Both are really good in their own way. For me - I'm old school and loved how Danny's teams played with "fire in their belly". I'm still waiting to see that fire. When Danny's guys hit you, the hit stayed with you for a while. Ask Major Harris. :)

Major Harris' Mama too.....LOL***

Apr 30, 2013, 3:16 PM

Yea no fire in winning ACC Championships or beating LSU, etc

Apr 30, 2013, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford's Swagger Vs Dabo's High Energy... ]

Riiight.

Re: Yea no fire in winning ACC Championships or beating LSU, etc

Apr 30, 2013, 8:41 PM

you obviously never watched a Danny Ford team knock the crap out of someone. I understand your point, But I think you're missing mine.

We have a few players that hit like those guys did - but the entire team seemed to knock people's heads off and swarmed the ball. Only SOME of our guys do that with any regularity. Sorry to offend man - but you had to see it to believe it.

Swagger vs Georgia?

Apr 30, 2013, 10:04 PM

Coach Ford was 3-4-1 against Georgia.

Let's see, we beat Georgia in 81 when they fumbled the ball 13 times. And we beat them twice in a row on Treadwell kicks with no time remaining.

In Coach Ford's other five games vs Georgia, we were winless.

But let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story or our memories.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you're very confused...

May 1, 2013, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Yea no fire in winning ACC Championships or beating LSU, etc ]

"You obviously never watched a Danny Ford team knock the crap out of someone.

I watched nearly every game Ford coached at Clemson. I saw us beat some good teams, beat up on a lot of really bad teams, and I also saw us lose to a lot of really bad teams too .. when our talent alone should have been more than enough to beat them.

Guess what hoss? That's coaching.

We had several years when after beating a UGA or FSU, we should have had a relatively easy run to the NC. Except for the pitiful GT, NCSU, and Duke teams etc that got in our way.

I saw it. I saw all of it. Did you? If so, you sure as heck are using selective memory.

And finally, if Dabo continues at the pace he is now, he will exceed what Ford did at Clemson - with a far higher graduation rate and far less scandal. Let that sink in the noggin for a minute.

Danny Ford had swag

Apr 30, 2013, 5:41 PM

if your definition of it means a roughneck, tobacco chewin', cussiin', good ol' boy from Alabama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFKXOwEORBo

That is old school Danny Ford***

May 1, 2013, 9:36 AM

Dabo will never be Danny

Apr 30, 2013, 5:51 PM

Dabo is a great man and a good coach. Danny was a MAN and a great coach.Danny was more of a dictator and Dabo is more like a motivator. Danny of course won us a National Championship. Danny was the reason people FEARED Clemson. and still do

Dabo is a terrible motivator, we play soft, he is a

May 1, 2013, 2:40 AM

cheerleader.

you are an

May 1, 2013, 7:11 AM

idiot. period

Exactly. Concise, succint, and accurate.***

May 1, 2013, 8:17 AM

I guess you missed the GT, WV, NC St. games. We quit!!

May 1, 2013, 11:49 AM [ in reply to you are an ]

No heart, no toughness. No motivation.

Re: I guess you missed the GT, WV, NC St. games. We quit!!

May 1, 2013, 11:50 AM

I guess you missed that was 2 freaking years ago

I actually think one of the main reasons we're getting back

Apr 30, 2013, 5:56 PM

to where we once were is the fact that Dabo has instilled that expectation to win in our program. Now I guess different people read into things differently, but I don't really pay much attention to what coaches say after a game. It's all "coach speak" and they don't mean anything they say publicly.

I think our team does have that swagger. I think our team does walk on that field now expecting to win. I think this team is expecting to win the national championship this year. I think our team is ready to tell the world that Clemson, Clemson, Clemson...HERE WE COME!

You guys nede to calm down. Dabo has 1 big win. And LSU had

May 1, 2013, 2:42 AM

the game won and Les Miles blew it. All they had to do was run out the clock, but Les kept throwing the ball.

Re: You guys nede to calm down. Dabo has 1 big win. And LSU had

May 1, 2013, 9:07 AM

We handed the game to LSU with costly turnovers for points. Then we came back at them and pounded them until they gave it back. Miles was backed into a corner and was trying to fight his way out. We went in and took that game from them and if you missed that you weren't watching.

null

LOL. Yea some corner, only a few minutes on the clock, and

May 1, 2013, 11:51 AM

they had the lead and the ball. You guys are ignorant homers. Every coach in America will take that corner.

Once again...

May 1, 2013, 9:09 AM [ in reply to You guys nede to calm down. Dabo has 1 big win. And LSU had ]

Stats:

LSU CLEM
1st Downs 9 32
3rd down efficiency 3-13 8-18
4th down efficiency 0-0 1-3
Total Yards 219 445
Passing 120 346
Comp-Att 14-23 36-50
Yards per pass 5.2 6.9
Rushing 99 99
Rushing Attempts 25 50
Yards per rush 4.0 2.0
Penalties 7-66 6-47
Turnovers 1 2
Fumbles lost 0 2
Interceptions thrown 1 0
Possession 23:39 36:21

Les was very fortunate to even have the opportunity to blow that game.

Swagger is developed and earned. If we have an 11+ win

Apr 30, 2013, 10:09 PM

season this year, then Dabo will start to have some swagger to him.

I'll take Dabo's outright enthusiasm, love for Clemson, love for his players, and his charisma anyday though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

back then the sec wasn't crammed down our throats like they try to do today***

Apr 30, 2013, 10:21 PM

Dabo's got Swinnergy.***

May 1, 2013, 7:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I like that***

May 1, 2013, 9:35 AM

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic