Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Danny Ford
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 4,521

Danny Ford

Nov 1, 2017, 5:19 PM

If you were at the GT game then you saw the award Danny Ford won. He was inducted into the College Football HOF and where else would he receive that award?? It was great to see him in good spirits and to get a standing ovation. That guy is a legend and honestly got Clemson to be a household name. Danny is just a great guy and I am very proud to say he coached here. Potentially one of the best CFB coaches of all time and a legend here in Tigertown for something he did in 1981... any of yall ever heard of whatever he did that year??

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Danny Ford

Nov 1, 2017, 5:35 PM

As impressive as the unbeaten season and National Championship was in '81, he also de-throned a legendary coach in the Gator Bowl for his first bowl game ('78 if my memory is right). I was very thrilled to have been in the stadium during his introduction this past Saturday and to be one of the many giving him a standing ovation in the pouring rain.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at Woody Hayes game and at 81 Natty

Nov 1, 2017, 5:53 PM

In Miami on 1/1/82.
And in Tampa last year...
Danny indeed put us on the CFB map!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was at Woody Hayes game and at 81 Natty

Nov 1, 2017, 6:47 PM

I think the world of Danny Ford but John Heisman Jess Neely and Frank Howard all of whom are in the College Football Hall of Fame put Clemson on the football map long long before Danny Ford.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2017, 10:04 PM

I really think a program is second class until it wins a national championship. Danny gave us that.

Nov 1, 2017, 11:43 PM

I will pass your sentiments on to all the guys who left blood and sweat on the fields before 1981. By the way..... how many have you won???

Nov 1, 2017, 6:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford ]

He dethroned two Switzer- Ok, and woods hayes ohs

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Nov 1, 2017, 6:14 PM

Woody Hayes, Barry Switzer and Lou Holtz all ended their careers in the same way - with a loss to Clemson. Can add Spurrier to that list - he just quit mid season rather than be present for the loss. Danny got it started by presiding over the first two.

Nov 1, 2017, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford ]

Gator bowl was his first game as head coach. Clemson bought Danny a white Jag with orange pin stripes for that win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2017, 6:50 PM

Boosters bought the jag for Charley Pell who left for Florida before the game. So it was given to Danny.

Used to love his post game weekend show...always had a ton

Nov 1, 2017, 8:54 PM

of memorable quips...i just wish i could remember them all or had written them down
"I don't remember every win but I sure remember every loss"
"he's a good back but he carries the ball like a loaf of bread"
"three things can happen when you pass the ball, and two of them are bad"
"very, very proud of our youngsters"
"he's a good recruit and i'm glad he's interested in Clemson, but are we interested in him?"
"we'd like to get our fullbck up to a 4.0 yd average" (seriously, who wouldn't lol)
"we are gonna pass pass pass!" (followed by a deep bomb over the middle

Re: Used to love his post game weekend show...always had a ton

Nov 1, 2017, 9:45 PM

Frank Howard: "I retired because of health reasons. The fans were sick of me."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My 2 favorite Howard stories

Nov 1, 2017, 10:57 PM

1.Howard was deathly ill in the hospital once and when he woke up his good friend Peahead Walker from Wake Forest was hovering over him to make sure he was Ok. Howard screamed and Peahead replied "What was that for?" Howard said "I thought I died, and when I saw your face waiting for me I knew where I ended up and it sure wasn't heaven"

2.Howard played bama at bama and Bryant had a red phone on his desk. "What's that?" Howard asked. "that's our phone to heaven but it'll cost you to use it." bryant said. Next year when bama came to clemson Howard had a red phone. Bryant laughed and said "You have a direct line to heaven now too?" Howard said "yep, but it's free. it's a local call from here."

Replies: 12
| visibility 4,521
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic