Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dan Heefner
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,878

Dan Heefner

Jun 6, 2015, 9:07 PM

Would be my choice to replace Jack. We could get 30 years out of him if it goes well. Solid coach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just read his resume' at Dallas Baptist, quite impressive

Jun 6, 2015, 9:21 PM

And he must be a heck of a hitting coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dan Heefner

Jun 6, 2015, 9:22 PM

He already turned down Baylor. Not coming here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have more money than Baylor don't we?

Jun 6, 2015, 9:27 PM

I haven't watched DBU play enough to know much about Heefner. Only game I saw was one of their losses to VCU in the regional.

Re: We have more money than Baylor don't we?

Jun 6, 2015, 9:29 PM

No. They have a larger athletic budget and spend a higher proportion of it on sports other than football. Plus he would stay in the Texas recruiting footprint. Pretty clear message he's shooting for Garrido's job when he retires.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Garrido's contract goes till at least 2017

Jun 6, 2015, 9:34 PM

guess he'll be waiting a little while with no guarantee he gets the job. Texas can hire literally any coach in the country, they took Garrido from Fullerton even though he had won multiple CWS there already.

looks like Texas is in the same situation as we were

Jun 6, 2015, 9:37 PM

tryingto run a HOF coach off.

http://www.chatsports.com/texas-longhorns/a/Texas-Baseball-Its-Time-for-Augie-Garrido-to-Pass-the-Torch-2-11404070

Augie Garrido is arguably the best college baseball coach in history. He’s the winningest college coach of all time, the first to reach 1800 career victories, and one of only two coaches to win a national title with two different programs.

When Garrido first arrived on the Forty Acres nearly two decades ago, he no doubt resurrected a sleeping giant. In his time in Austin, he led the Longhorns to eight CWS appearances and two national titles.

Nevertheless, it’s time for the Texas legend to ride off into the sunset, with all the praise and respect that is deserved for such a storied career.

In the last four seasons, the Longhorns have missed the post-season three times, and in that same time frame, they’ve posted an abysmal overall conference record of 43-50.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: looks like Texas is in the same situation as we were

Jun 6, 2015, 9:46 PM

They've certainly shown more patience than we did. Couple that with some pretty serious off the field issues. Would any Clemson coach survive a DUI and actually serving jail time?

Re: Garrido's contract goes till at least 2017

Jun 6, 2015, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Garrido's contract goes till at least 2017 ]

Of course that's just Twitter speculation. Not like I know the guy. But Texas is the second best state for baseball recrutiing. Would make sense to keep the guy at home. A disproportionate number of Garrido's players who move on to the bigs come from Dallas.

Jun 6, 2015, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Dan Heefner ]

We're a better program than Baylor.

Jun 6, 2015, 9:30 PM

Smaller budget. Even smaller baseball budget. Entirely new recruiting footprint. Clemson is not the center of the Baseball universe.

Jun 6, 2015, 9:31 PM

Auggie will live to be 150 and coach to 100 though. Lol

In 2013 our athletic budgets were within $1 million

Jun 6, 2015, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Dan Heefner ]

of each other.

I can't find specific numbers on what Baylor either Baylor or Clemson spends on baseball, I did find that in FY2012 Clemson spent 13.26 million on non-revenue sports. If you've got the data on what schools are spending on baseball I'd be really interested to look at that and see how we stack up.

Re: In 2013 our athletic budgets were within $1 million

Jun 6, 2015, 9:49 PM

What I found was $78 Baylor $74 us. But, I'm the first one to point out those numbers aren't very reliable. My real,point is they're certainly able to compete at whatever level we are financially.

Jun 6, 2015, 9:56 PM

You're probably right. The only way we'd have substantially more money for baseball than them is if they field a lot more sports than us. I know we have considerably less varsity sports than say Stanford or UVA, but no idea how we compare to Baylor in that regard.

Jun 6, 2015, 10:04 PM

Can't vouch for its accuracy but one article claims that as of 2011, on a $60 million budget, Baylor was only spending $14 million on football. Also claims their entire athletic budget in 1995 was only $7 million. This is a school competing at the highest level in all three revenue sports now. I expect they'll add baseball to that list shortly.

Jun 6, 2015, 11:07 PM [ in reply to In 2013 our athletic budgets were within $1 million ]

Diycollegerankings has the info

Baylor has Drayton McLane as a very wealthy Alum

Jun 6, 2015, 11:42 PM

He used to own the Houston Astros. He has given Baylor a lot of $$$. His net worth is over 2 Billion.

Jun 6, 2015, 9:52 PM

D1 baseball had a great article about Heefner earlier this year but I can't seem to find it. He's a great coach but he also has the benefit of what might be the single best metropolitan area for baseball in the country. The other interesting thing was that they re-weighted DBU's RPI to remove the away field advantage - they play more away games than a traditional Power 5 team does - and they would still be Top 5 in RPI.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,878
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic