Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CLEMSON HAS NEVER WON A ACC CHAMPIONSHIP IN BASKETBALL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 101

CLEMSON HAS NEVER WON A ACC CHAMPIONSHIP IN BASKETBALL

Feb 3, 2020, 5:08 PM

NEVER. REPEAT. NEVER.

The tobacco road teams have dominated the ACC championships with duke and unc winning the most. In fact, Duke has won 21. UNC 15(or close to that).

I don't see Clemson ever winning one as long as Duke and UNC continue to dominate. Louisville may win a few. My point is that Clemson Basketball has always sucked in the ACC and if a coach cannot recruit top talent, it probably does not matter who coaches the team. You can be Roy or coach K, but w/o the talent, you will not succeed.

So, our next coach, whenever that happens, should be hired for his recruiting ability. If he can't sell freezers to eskimos, don't hire him.

I know, it's like the chicken and the egg. Which comes first. A winning program and then good recruits or good recruits and then winning program. Hard to recruit good talent when you have sucked for decades.

Maybe Coach BB is doing about as good as can be expected. I think he could put more effort into recruiting. If he can't do it, he needs to hire someone who can.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CLEMSON HAS NEVER WON A ACC CHAMPIONSHIP IN BASKETBALL

Feb 3, 2020, 5:11 PM

Wrong wrong wrong

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2020, 5:12 PM

How so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They were the Regular Season Champ in 1990

Feb 3, 2020, 5:13 PM

Nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Confucius says

Feb 3, 2020, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Re: CLEMSON HAS NEVER WON A ACC CHAMPIONSHIP IN BASKETBALL ]

Good coach can win games.

He was a smart dude.

Feb 3, 2020, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Re: CLEMSON HAS NEVER WON A ACC CHAMPIONSHIP IN BASKETBALL ]

My bad. I misspoke. Meant to say Conference TOURNAMENT championship.

That's the one that counts because it gets the auto bid to NCAA tourney.

Feb 3, 2020, 5:48 PM

Yep if winning the tourney was still the only key we would have never made the tourney.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2020, 6:48 PM

One of the reasons Usuc withdrew from the ACC was due to BASKETBALL Coach FRANK MaQuire 's dispute w/the ACC over a recruit that had committed to Usuc. The recruit was second only to Lew Alcindor in talent. Duke complained to the ACC that the recruit was academically ineligible. The ACC found in Duke's favor. COACH McQUire was also dissed that the reg. season ACC champion was not an auto bid to the NCAA tourney. He had won the reg. season and did not get the auto bid. He could not get the ACC to change the rule and McQuire urged Usuc to withdraw from the ACC.

Personally, I would like to see the reg. Season champ get the auto bid. Still would't help us. 1 reg. Season win in the history of the ACC is pretty pitiful. Guess it beats no ACCC championship TOURNEY win.

Feb 3, 2020, 5:13 PM

We won the regular season championship when Horace Grant was a senior.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dale Davis and Eldem Campbell . I think Grant

Feb 3, 2020, 6:10 PM

Was gone

Yes, you are correct***

Feb 3, 2020, 6:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correction - ACC Basketball Tournament Championship***

Feb 3, 2020, 5:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

We'd never won at Chapel Hill either.

Feb 3, 2020, 5:48 PM

Never and all that again.

Maybe CBB is saving the best for last this season.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We'd never won at Chapel Hill either.

Feb 3, 2020, 5:54 PM

You don’t really believe that do you?

As a long time Clemson b ball fan you cling to anything

Feb 3, 2020, 6:15 PM

you can find.

And no, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2020, 6:13 PM

I think we are on the cusp within the next 10 years.

Feb 3, 2020, 7:00 PM

I think no matter which way we go it is 6-10 years away.

If DRad fires Brownell we take at least 1, maybe 2 steps back, in order to step forward 4 or 5 steps. However, we have no guarantee that we will ever even recover the lost steps, let alone get near the top.

With Brownell, we may only be 3-4 years away.

Replacing him, even more. This is not fact, but a pretty insurmountable opinion.

Feb 3, 2020, 7:09 PM

If we can't recruit quality players, and we haven't been able, we will remain as we have for decades.

Dabo has shown that you have to have top talent to win.

Seriously? Dang that stinks. Maybe this year.***

Feb 3, 2020, 7:28 PM

Replies: 18
| visibility 101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic