Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo's 'leave' comment misconstrued
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Dabo's 'leave' comment misconstrued

Nov 26, 2018, 4:28 PM

In my opinion, Dabo didn't mean leave Clemson...he means leave the coaching profession. He's motivated by an overall process, largely outside the realm of the fans themselves. That said, if he feels 'fanatics' rhetoric' will degrade the environment he's most successful in and undermines his ability to mold the young men under his and his staff's tutelage, then the joy of his job will evaporate. That's my take...and going to another program won't change that...appreciably.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He'd make a great

Nov 26, 2018, 4:29 PM

Governor or President

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Fun is in the governing"

Nov 26, 2018, 6:57 PM

Gonna trademark it before Dabo does.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo's 'leave' comment misconstrued

Nov 26, 2018, 4:31 PM

Hahahaha yeah...that's one way to spin it.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

An opinion

Nov 26, 2018, 4:38 PM

Isn't 'spin'...

Nov 26, 2018, 4:32 PM

In all fairness, He created the "never satisfied" or never get complacent mentality around the program, which extended to the fans. that's the double edged sword that comes with great success.

I honestly think that's being misconstrued

Nov 26, 2018, 6:52 PM

I don't think "Best is the Standard" was ever intended to about getting down on other folks, but about focusing on yourself and carrying out your role to the best of your ability.

It's about coaches pushing themselves to be the best coaches they can be.
It's about players pushing themselves to be the best players they can be.
It's about fans pushing themselves to be the best fans they can be.

It's not about being dissatisfied as a fan when something less than perfect happens.

I'm not ascribing that view to you, but there were plenty here Saturday night who chose to focus on the negative which, I would argue, is the exact opposite of being the best fanbase we can be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I honestly think that's being misconstrued

Nov 26, 2018, 8:47 PM

And so you think that Dabo's comment was indicative of him being the best coach he could be?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2018, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's 'leave' comment misconstrued ]

Yeah sure, it was that catchphrase and not all the wins, championships, and blowouts over South Carolina that got a bunch of fans spoiled.

Bottom line, he was NOT "threatening" to leave

Nov 26, 2018, 5:25 PM

anything. He was just making a point about how ridiculous some fans are. If it ever did get to the point where the noise from the fan base truly got that negative in the face of such phenomenal success, then by all means, he should leave.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Nov 26, 2018, 8:37 PM

I tend to agree with you there Salty and I certainly hope you’re right. Dabo has repeatedly said he would get out of coaching if certain things happened. I think this is just another one of those type of things. I can tell you that he will not be able to go to any major program in the country and avoid those type of comments. I think he knows that. The current culture at Clemson is something he has had a huge hand in creating. He wants to protect it and I think his comments are a way of doing just that. I would hate to see the type of thinking that a 21 point win feels like a loss be something prevalent in our fan base. I’m glad it isn’t and I hope Dabo and everyone else who really loves Clemson will fight to keep it that way. I can say that by reading the comments on here the last couple of days that the overwhelming majority of us appreciate what we have and are thankful for coach Swinney and the culture. He’s doing a top notch job and I hope he stays for a very very long time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2018, 8:54 PM

Or he possibly mean't if the fans aren't happy with 12-0 they should move on?

Nov 26, 2018, 9:00 PM

I wish that was what he had meant, but it wasn’t.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic