Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo's answer on the FG is pure garbage . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Dabo's answer on the FG is pure garbage . . .

Sep 4, 2016, 1:58 AM

I love Dabo. I respect him A LOT. And there are no qualifications or hesitations about my appreciation for what he's done for the program and the school.

But that answer was was an absolute joke. He wanted to put it in the hands of the defense? That's DEMONSTRABLY non-sensical. Saying that you trust the defense if all else fails is one thing. Fine. But the whole reason you try to go up by multiple scores (by whatever means) is so that the other team's chances of winning decrease. That's the unavoidable logic of the game. If you want to put it in the hands of your defense, then why go for it on fourth down. Isn't that an effort to keep the ball and keep it OUT of the defense's hands? Ergo, it' ain't about THAT. It's about the prospects of a 40 yard FG vs. a 4th and 4 against a pretty decent defense in a make-or-break situation.

And oh, by the way, if ya miss the FG, Auburn gets the ball in the same spot and you're no worse off. Slightly better in fact, with 3-5 seconds less left on the clock.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems his decision worked, did it not ?

Sep 4, 2016, 2:00 AM

Actually no, it didn't . . .

Sep 4, 2016, 2:12 AM

Don't confuse the game result with the decision. The decision was bad. The result worked out in spite of the decision.

It worked, don't be stupid.

Sep 4, 2016, 2:14 AM

Check the scoreboard.

A 35 yard field goal is about 90%

Sep 4, 2016, 3:19 AM

Give me those odds. 40 seconds was way too much time left.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: A 35 yard field goal is about 90%

Sep 4, 2016, 8:51 AM

Agreed. That was a bone-headed decision.

There was a 92% chance we would not allow Auburn to score.

Sep 4, 2016, 9:14 AM [ in reply to A 35 yard field goal is about 90% ]

They had 12 possessions at that point in the game with only one TD.

I'm not saying I agree with the call, but it was a calculated risk.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

It was a risk we didn't need to take. Run clock, kick FG

Sep 4, 2016, 9:53 AM

with less time left. That was the best move. Should have stayed in bounds on 3rd, let time run, then kick. The strategy to try and get a first down there was the incorrect strategy either way. It left too much time and zero points.

The odds say differently.

Sep 4, 2016, 10:01 AM

You're thinking with your heart.

Again, I don't necessarily agree with the call, but it was calculated.

If we went for three, three things could happen...

1) We get 3 pts.
2) We miss, and get 0 pts.
3) The kick is blocked/high snap/mishandle by holder and they have an opportunity to score on the play.

We run it up the middle, turn it over, and they have 40 seconds to do what they had only been able to do in 8% of their prior possessions. Those are unbelievable odds for us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

That's a weak ### answer and you know it.***

Sep 4, 2016, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Seems his decision worked, did it not ? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

How is that weak?***

Sep 4, 2016, 9:15 AM

Leaning on the fact that we were able to stop two hail Mary

Sep 4, 2016, 9:38 AM

attempts and still win is weak because it should have never come down to that. You kick the field goal every time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why?

Sep 4, 2016, 9:39 AM

It was strategy, not an accident. It worked out.

Message was edited by: Francis Marion®

Well you're right in that aspect. It was a strategy.

Sep 4, 2016, 10:21 AM

A poor one. Why give Auburn a chance? A better strategy would have been curb stomping them...with a field goal.

Take the points and take away their hope.

Kicks aren't automatic...

Sep 4, 2016, 10:47 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=19937514

Just glad we got the win.

Re: Dabo's answer on the FG is pure garbage . . .

Sep 4, 2016, 2:02 AM

I did not disagree with the strategy, but then again who likes to see us line up in a prevent on the road with the game on the line? If anything, I would liked to have seen Venables dial up a line backer blitz when they got to the the forty.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's a Clemson football game

Sep 4, 2016, 2:06 AM

without a good march down the field on our prevent D

What year is it, 2006?***

Sep 4, 2016, 9:38 AM

Sep 4, 2016, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's answer on the FG is pure garbage . . . ]

I love Dabo, but several mistakes they need to learn from IMHO... Don't run a pitch play on 3rd down. Risk of a bad pitch is higher than a blocked field goal. Handoff between tackles or keeper and kill clock so no chance of going out of bounds... And don't rush only 3 with 85 yards to go and 40 seconds left in the game - need pressure so they have to dump off. I expect Clemson to run the table if they can play smart.

I think the high snap scared him a bit.***

Sep 4, 2016, 2:04 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

no doubt***

Sep 4, 2016, 2:05 AM

certainly scared me***

Sep 4, 2016, 2:16 AM [ in reply to I think the high snap scared him a bit.*** ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, that's all I could figure...

Sep 4, 2016, 7:15 AM [ in reply to I think the high snap scared him a bit.*** ]

A snap over the kicker's head at that point could cost us the game. And based on that and the fact that we're missing extra points, perhaps the kicking game wasn't worthy of much confidence at that point. If that's the case, we need to get those concerns fixed in the next 2 weeks for sure. It's frustrating to see that evidently special teams is still our achille's heel. Way past time to get that nonsense fixed.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the high snap scared him a bit.***

Sep 4, 2016, 8:46 AM [ in reply to I think the high snap scared him a bit.*** ]

If you block a field goal and score do
You get 6 points or 3?

He wasn't worried about missing it, he was worried about a

Sep 4, 2016, 2:05 AM

block and a td or much better field position for Auburn. And since I publicly questioned before 4th down with the people I was watching the game with if Dabo would even attempt a FG and chance a block I think it's safe to say we were on the same page and I'm not gonna question him ;)

The snap in the earlier kick . . .

Sep 4, 2016, 2:18 AM

was indeed unnerving, but unless Dabo knows that it's characteristic rather than an anomaly, then there's not much of a robust defense for that decision. Crap happens here and there, true enough. But if you base your decisions on exceptions then you're gonna rule out a lot of sound decisions.

If you know your longsnapper is questionable in general, then fine. But that's not the same as being merely psychologically spooked by a bad snap in another instance. I was far more psychologically spooked by Auburn's increasing ability to move the ball against a tire defense. And that proved right as they moved down the field and made it, ah, all too interesting.

Sorry you were unnerved, but you had to expect Auburn

Sep 4, 2016, 2:21 AM

was gonna move the ball a little against the prevent. The object there is to keep everything in front of you. Don't give up anything long, let them have the short field, and in 40 seconds all they should have enough time for is a hail mary. Mission accomplished!

Well I'm worried about car wrecks.

Sep 4, 2016, 9:39 AM [ in reply to He wasn't worried about missing it, he was worried about a ]

Guess I'll starting ordering groceries from amazon.com and cutting my own hair.

I've seen pixs of you - I already thought you

Sep 4, 2016, 10:27 AM

cut your own hair.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

No, I get my hair cut at the Cuttin' Corral***

Sep 4, 2016, 1:10 PM

nm

If Wayne had stayed inbounds his decision

Sep 4, 2016, 2:07 AM

would have looked a bit more attractive

Re: If Wayne had stayed inbounds his decision

Sep 4, 2016, 7:42 AM

Yep...it's convenient to overlook Wayne trying too hard and stopping the clock. Dabo wasn't happy. But...but...it's much more fun to bash a coaching decision after the fact. We beat Auburn at their place...and all anyone talks about is style points. I tell you what...that OU offense was impressive has hell...what did it get them?

First game of the year is absolutely the most misleading one of the season. Only the 'W' matters...nothing else.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Wayne had stayed inbounds his decision

Sep 4, 2016, 8:25 AM [ in reply to If Wayne had stayed inbounds his decision ]

But Gallman going out of bounds changed the scenario, so I'm not sure why he didn't adapt the decision. Leaving 5 seconds to go 70 yards is a lot different than leaving 40 seconds to go 70 yards is very different. They wound up getting 2 shots at the endzone

Sep 4, 2016, 8:40 AM

Apparently you haven't watched all of Auburn's "Miracles In Jordan Hare".

Sep 4, 2016, 8:49 AM

We almost got to watch one last night

Sep 4, 2016, 9:36 AM

Perhaps, but my sense is the odds of a 'miracle' were tied to a blocked kick more than driving 70+ yards.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2016, 8:50 AM

You do realize that Huegel missed an extra point? He didn't kick like himself all night long. A lot of things can happen on a field goal attempt and only one of them is good. Given the way the defense played all night vs the kicking team, I'd have gone for it on 4th down too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Oh no !.... You mean he's not perfect? What are we to do ?***

Sep 4, 2016, 8:57 AM

Learn from mistakes. OP's pointing out mistakes.***

Sep 4, 2016, 9:03 AM

nm

we won the dang game . . .

Sep 4, 2016, 9:17 AM

maybe you are the garbage. Take this crap elsewhere

Way to contribute to the conversation.***

Sep 4, 2016, 9:41 AM

If he got the 1st down nobody would be complaining

Sep 4, 2016, 9:42 AM

He was probably worried about a block and return

Did you see the high snap by longer snapper

Sep 4, 2016, 12:03 PM

Earlier in game? How about the missed extra point? I personally would have kicked it. But I can't really fault the call not to kick it given our kicking game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic