Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo's Contract: Food for Thought
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Dabo's Contract: Food for Thought

Jan 19, 2014, 2:21 PM

I know a lot of people on Tigernet are on one side of the fence or the other concerning Coach Swinney's new contract, so I just thought I'd throw an argument out in favor of this new deal from the Clemson perspective.

If you look at just the salary portion of the contract, $3.1M-$3.5M over the next 8 seasons, in all honesty this seems fairly reasonable given the escalating value of coaching salaries these days ($7M per for Coach Saban at Bama, $5M per for Coach Strong at UT, $4M per for the OBS at Usuc, etc.) . Heck, when Coach Morris does finally get that first head coaching gig, I would be fairly confident that even his initial salary will amount to more than Coach Swinney's new deal on an annual basis (and that's with no on field results to back it up).

What this contract has essentially done is locked in Coach Swinney at a predetermined annual rate regardless of the success of the Clemson program over the next 8 years or the amount of money this new college football playoff system brings in, and that's one of the reasons why I think Clemson may actually consider this a win from their perspective.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly

Jan 19, 2014, 2:45 PM

Clemson didn't just throw money at him and give him a huge buyout. He is making less than market value and the buyout is less than the contracts total value. A buyout is only in place to give an out so the total value doesn't have to be paid. Without it we would owe the entire remainder once signed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Less than market value?

Jan 19, 2014, 3:07 PM

Our coaching staff is in the top 10 in terms of salary. It is very easy to name 10 bigtime programs with much more money and history than Clemson.

Dabo has a sweet deal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The buyout is misleading because it's the "not-for-cause"

Jan 19, 2014, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Exactly ]

buyout and without looking at how that term is defined I don't think people can get all up in arms about it.

But knee-jerk reactions is a Tigernet past time so...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In my opinion the salary level is reasonable...

Jan 19, 2014, 3:08 PM

First, Dabo has achieved beyond what I expected, and he deserves a raise. He deserves to earn a salary commensurate with his industry peers at this level of success. But eight years is too long. It should have been a four or five year extension at most. That's long enough to see if he can at least sustain our current program. And that's a legitimate "if". Last season we weren't competitive with our conference champion, and we have been dominated by our primary recruiting competitor, losing to them 5 years in a row. There is still much for Dabo to accomplish.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic