Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo took 8 years to turn Clemson around
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Dabo took 8 years to turn Clemson around

Sep 24, 2019, 9:31 AM

I hear this "took Dabo 8 years to turn Clemson around" thing from coots all the time.

His first full season was '09 and Clemson won the ACC in '11.

11 wins in '12, 11 wins in '13, 10 wins in '14, and a 14 win national title appearance in '15

Where does this idea that it took soooo long to make Clemson a winner?

Up until this season coots repeated that Muschamp is right on track because it took Dabo 8 years to get Clemson "turned around".

Dabo won his conference by what equated to the end of last season for Muschamp who won 7 games.

Also let's not forget that Dabo made the conference title game in his first full season.

His only down year was a 2010 season where his top 2 offensive weapons spent much of the season hurt or scared to get hurt in Ellington and Parker respectively.

What am I missing that makes this such a commonly held belief?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That settles it. Keep Muschamp for eight years.***

Sep 24, 2019, 9:36 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That settles it. Keep Muschamp for eight years.***

Sep 24, 2019, 9:39 AM

He had less to start with. Give him at least 10 or 12.

Sep 24, 2019, 2:34 PM

Still has less!

Sep 24, 2019, 9:42 AM [ in reply to That settles it. Keep Muschamp for eight years.*** ]

Yes! Enjoy plucking U of SC every year.

WiLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL^100 Muschamp***

Sep 24, 2019, 9:49 AM [ in reply to That settles it. Keep Muschamp for eight years.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

That's a lot of L's!!! ***

Sep 24, 2019, 4:41 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2019, 1:16 PM [ in reply to That settles it. Keep Muschamp for eight years.*** ]

I agree with the coots. Muschamp will build a dynasty there. They need to give him a lifetime contract before he slips away.

Sep 24, 2019, 2:14 PM [ in reply to That settles it. Keep Muschamp for eight years.*** ]

Please keep Nochamp for 8 more yrs. PLEASE ?? he is good for football in our state.??????

You could see an immediate difference the week Dabo

Sep 24, 2019, 9:39 AM

took over. He immediately set about galvanizing a divided team AND fanbase. Another false narrative I keep hearing from a certain radio host coot is that Dabo was almost fired. TDP was never even thinking he made a mistake. He had just given Dabo the job in '09 when we went 6-7 and it was all 10 or more wins from there. TDP knew exactly what he had in Dabo. Coot delusion and false rationale knows no bounds.

If the coots think it took Dabo 8 years to turn Clemson

Sep 24, 2019, 9:42 AM

around, then they will never officially be "turned around" and being "turned around" is not something that Spurrier did. In Dabo's 8th full season he won a national championship. The coots will never win a national championship in football. Never.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: If the coots think it took Dabo 8 years to turn Clemson

Sep 24, 2019, 12:21 PM

Coots don't get turned around. They get bent over.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I got this. CLEMSON hired him in 2003 and

Sep 24, 2019, 9:47 AM

He won the acc in 2011..so there is your 8 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I got this. CLEMSON hired him in 2003 and

Sep 24, 2019, 9:54 AM

Finally somebody figured out what we were all missing!

Thank you for clearing up the SEC math!

Re: I got this. CLEMSON hired him in 2003 and

Sep 24, 2019, 12:22 PM [ in reply to I got this. CLEMSON hired him in 2003 and ]

So the more years that pass the more years it took Dabo to make us a winner. Yep that sounds like SEC math.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo took 8 years to turn Clemson around

Sep 24, 2019, 9:57 AM

Wow, I had never heard either of those (the 8 year thing or the Dabo almost fired thing). I'm not doubting that you all did hear it though. I'm glad I don't listen to the radio stations you heard that from (or co-workers that said these things....whatever). I would have lost it.

The guy who keeps pounding the 'Dabo almost fired' drum

Sep 24, 2019, 10:01 AM

is on 1400 AM in Spartanburg. He's highly excitable and personifies coot delusion. I listen to him sometimes just for kicks. I don't call in because if I do, it's going to get ugly and a lot of people know me around here. I've heard him say that about Dabo about 15 times. He said it yesterday in his animated defense of Tanner and Muschump.

How do you listen to that blithering idiot?

Sep 24, 2019, 10:16 AM

He is one of the most ignorant and deluded uof5c homers I've ever heard. He even manages to make Manifold, Gamecock Will, Toad Ellis, and Clueless09 look somewhat intelligent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Like I said, just for kicks, because I know he's good for

Sep 24, 2019, 1:07 PM

making a fool of himself. He also calls HS football games. He said something one night last year about my son's team, when he was describing something on the field near the end of the game (his team lost to us, yet again). I was right there field level and saw the whole episode transpire and what he said on the radio was an all out sensationalized, slanderous, butthurt, boldfaced lie.

He got called out for that on the radio but he learned nothing. He continues to say things that are totally inaccurate, as if he thinks no one will know better.

Re: The guy who keeps pounding the 'Dabo almost fired' drum

Sep 24, 2019, 10:25 AM [ in reply to The guy who keeps pounding the 'Dabo almost fired' drum ]

Yes, please don't correct him! Let him make the coots think they should be patient with Chump. Its been fun having him around so far and I hope they keep him for many many years :D

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good. I hope they plan on giving Mushchump at least that***

Sep 24, 2019, 10:08 AM

Sep 24, 2019, 10:10 AM

It took Dabo exactly 2 games to turn the team around. That game against BC was the turning of the right direction. The team could have quit (likely quit under Bowden). The win over #8 Miami was the first step, followed by the win over #8 Miami. I know folks were uneasy after 2010, but the win over Auburn then FSU then VaTech in 2011 was the next mountain - but I also point to the Maryland 18pt comback game as that was finally shedding the "Bowdening" of a bad road loss after three stellar games, then it was 4th & 16, then came the DW4 revolution.

Sep 24, 2019, 10:13 AM

Ellington out for about 5 games and Parker being a shell of his former self really took a toll on that 2010 season.

When those 2 were at full strength, Clemson almost beat the eventual national champion that season.

It' amazing what two players used to mean to this team!

Sep 24, 2019, 10:35 AM

Correct.

Bad then folks looked at that season in two ways. One that saw the record and a "new coach" and wanted a different direction.

The others saw a team that while not as deep but also did not quit. We were in it for nearly all of those games and considering the depth issue, we just did not the firepower offensively. Still, even as "bad" as it was, it was not the same feeling as a Bowden team going 6-6. Kids kept hustling despite adversity. The culture was different.

Sep 24, 2019, 8:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo took 8 years to turn Clemson around ]

we had little depth on that team . dabos recruiting soon took care of that, ,

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmm

Sep 24, 2019, 10:19 AM

Year 1 - division title
Year 3 - conference title
Year 4 - 11 wins
Year 5 - Orange bowl win
Year 7 - undefeated season, title game appearance
Year 8 - national title

The program was "turned around" by year 3 or 4. There were still some growing pains like the WVU debacle and the USC/FSU monkeys that took awhile to shake off, but the program was clearly trending in the right direction from 2011 onward.

Re: Hmm

Sep 24, 2019, 10:24 AM

You jackleg, saying Parker was scared. He was playing with broke and bruised rib(s) the whole season. You try throwing with your rib cage in that condition. They did not want to throw Boyd to the wolves. Parker did a real good job under the conditions. And this was before Sammy Watkins.

Re: Hmm

Sep 24, 2019, 11:07 AM

I'm guessing you meant to respond to me.

I'm saying Parker was scared to get hurt based on the fact that he played that way. If he was playing injured, it could still be true that he was playing scared of getting a major injury.

I also understand why he played with such caution after he realized that he was not invincible.

He had a ton of money riding on baseball and he knew that a major injury would decrease his value there.

I did not point this out to say he was wrong, but he went from a weapon in '09 to just being a guy taking snaps in '10. That paired with the Ellington injury was a major reason for the dip in the record.

If you look at Parker's numbers he actually wasn't very

Sep 24, 2019, 12:03 PM

good in 2009 either and didn't really fall off that much in 2010 despite the injury. I think the issues were mainly that he a) didn't progress any from his FR year (injury probably played a role), and b) no longer had Spiller and Ford to make plays. Especially when Ellington went down in 2010 we really needed more out of the QB position and Parker just wasn't able to do it. That team was severely lacking in play makers.

Parker stats:

2009 - 6.8 YPA, 6.5 AY/A, 55.6% comp, 20 TD, 12 INT
2010 - 6.5 YPA, 5.7 AY/A, 57.5% comp, 12 TD, 11 INT

Honestly those 2009 numbers are pretty bad too. Parker's 6.8 and 6.5 YPA are the 2nd and 3rd lowest any Clemson QB has posted since 2004 Charlie Whitehurst (5.9). The lowest being 2014 Cole Stoudt (6.3).

In 2010 we were trying to replace close to 1300 yards and 10 TDs receiving from Spiller and Ford, and our WR corp that year was young and not particularly good.

Not agreeing with them or disagreeing with you but

Sep 24, 2019, 10:21 AM

in doing some research for a post yesterday, I may have stumbled on some info to support their theory. Through the 2014 season, we had only one season where we had a winning record vs the Top 25...2011. Dabo's overall record vs the Top 25 to that point was 10-16 (including 0-3 in the 2014 season). From 2015 forward, his record vs Top 25 is 19-2.

Please note that "Top 25" as used above means the opponent was in the Top 25 at kickoff.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not agreeing with them or disagreeing with you but

Sep 24, 2019, 11:12 AM

Was Oklahoma not ranked during the bowl game in '14?

Also I think the stats you are referencing may be evidence as to when Dabo made Clemson elite.

That came in '15 when we started beating everyone instead of just the teams we were supposed to beat.

I see the "turn around" as when we started winning the games we were supposed to win.

Without evidence to support this statement, I feel like we overcame that in '11 (with a rare slip).

Since '11 Clemson has been tabbed as a consistent winner. Since '15 we have been placed in an even higher category.

Per the information I was using, OK was not ranked

Sep 24, 2019, 12:12 PM

They were 8-4 going in, and finished 8-5/unranked. Cannot 100% confirm/deny. My source WAS wikipedia, so it could certainly be wrong.

I completely agree with your point, though. The turnaround started immediately, was well underway by 2011, and was complete around year 8. Kind of like reversing a locomotive. First, you have to stop the negative momentum, then start building positive momentum, before you ultimately top out.

It is a matter perspective. You and I see the change as eliminating the "C" word and becoming a factor in the ACC, and they are defaulting to when we became a perennial factor nationally. So I guess it would not be a "turnaround" if we had never made it to the national championship game? Surely even the Coot idiots can see that argument is a non-starter.

He took us to the Orange Bowl in his third full year

Sep 24, 2019, 11:02 AM

So I don't think the 8 applies either

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

By their argument, SCAR will never get turned around

Sep 24, 2019, 12:14 PM

We went to the National Championship game in year 8. If that is what it takes to qualify, they will never have one.

Sep 24, 2019, 12:46 PM

I haven't seen any say 8 years, but I have seen several say that it took Dabo 5 years. Those same also said that most Clemson fans wanted to fire Dabo during the 5 game losing streak to them. I certainly recall a vocal minority wanting him out simply for the 5 game losing streak, but I certainly don't remember anything near a majority wanting that.

Sep 24, 2019, 1:04 PM

I also think their fans overstate how bad of a situation Spurrier left them in. Spurrier had allowed things to slip, but they still had more or at least equal talent on that team than most teams on their schedule not named Clemson, Georgia, or Alabama. They like to talk it up though as if he took over the worst talent pool in the country or something, and that it was a miracle for him to go 6-7 in his first year.

Well during that miracle season, they had wins over Vandy(by 3 points) East Carolina(by 5 points) UMass(by 6 points) Tennessee(by 3 points) Missouri(by 10 points and Missouri went 4-8 that year) and Western Carolina(by 13 points). Yep, it took a coaching miracle to pull off a season like that one.

Based on what Spurrier left, I could understand excuses for 8-4 seasons, or even a 7-5 season this year based on that schedule, if it appeared they were actually making progress. This is probably the worst team he's put on the field thus far though. His first recruiting class would now be seniors, and don't they brag about how great of a recruiter he is? If he's a great recruiter, and he's supposed to be a great coach, then shouldn't he be able to beat Mack Brown in his first year at UNC? Shouldn't he be able to avoid a 20 point loss to a Missouri team that lost to Wyoming?

The announcers last week even pointed out how their coaches talked of how they wanted to double team the Missouri tight end, and twice they left him wide open including one that went for a touchdown because of miscommunication on the field. Sure, those things happen to everyone from time to time, but they seem to happen every game for them.

He's 4 games into his 4th year, and what is his biggest win so far? Probably the home win over a Tennessee team that was ranked at #25 I believe, and that Tennessee team didn't finish the season ranked. What exactly would his 2nd best win be?

Sep 24, 2019, 1:06 PM

PLEASSSEEEEEE let them keep Muschamp for 8 years

Personally I am not worried about this at all.***

Sep 24, 2019, 1:13 PM

Sep 24, 2019, 2:28 PM

Shirley the coots aren’t suggesting Coach Bewm needs as long as a cheerleader ex insurance man?????

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic