Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Dabo Swinney moves up to No. 2 in CBS coaching tier rankings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

TNET: Dabo Swinney moves up to No. 2 in CBS coaching tier rankings

May 2, 2019, 12:45 PM

Dabo Swinney moves up to No. 2 in CBS coaching tier rankings

CBS Sports released its yearly tiered coaching rankings and Clemson's Dabo Swinney moved up a spot after capturing his second national title in three seasons. S Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is the National Championship game not considered

May 2, 2019, 12:49 PM

a “playoff bowl win”?

I think we have 5 of those wins, not 3.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is the National Championship game not considered

May 2, 2019, 2:34 PM

The "SEC on CBS" right? My guess it is in CBS's contract to not record Bammy's defeats.

May 2, 2019, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Is the National Championship game not considered ]

They break it down to hinder the significance, and that is called, keep them behind Saban and the SEC type!!! The sec fans can not explain the difference of the sec type other than they taller, bigger, and faster. Just ask them where they get that from when the sec recruits the very same players as everyone else, and all they can say is that the sec gets the best ones, and Clemson is like an sec school. So I guess that means that we also have the sec type players!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2019, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Is the National Championship game not considered ]

I think the NC counts as a playoff win, but I believe that some still only consider the first round as a bowl game, and separate those from the NC game when figuring bowl records.

May 3, 2019, 10:18 AM

This is my thought too - 2003 .....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Has anyone ever seen Dabo panic like Saban did

May 3, 2019, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Is the National Championship game not considered ]

in the NC game?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney moves up to No. 2 in CBS coaching tier rankings

May 2, 2019, 1:01 PM

Dumpchamp's jury is still out ?
Somebody check their chambers ... they may have climbed out a window .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 2, 2019, 2:18 PM

There's bars on their windows. No need to worry about them jumping out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2019, 1:10 PM

Imagine how good we would be if we had Saban as head coach. We would have won 1 out of the last 3 National Championships. That would have been so great.

May 2, 2019, 1:18 PM

Yeah, but Saban sold his personality to Satan to get those advantages. So he had an unfair advantage.

Kirby Smart ends up #5...

May 2, 2019, 1:21 PM

I wonder where he stood with only 3 quarters of the votes counted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where he stood after 3 quarters...

May 3, 2019, 8:30 AM

He was probably in the lead but lost it late.. ^^underrated post^^

May 2, 2019, 2:01 PM

Dabo has a 71.43 win% in the playoffs vs Saban @ 66.67%.

I’ll take Dabo over their guy all year.

Oct 26, 2022, 10:02 AM

I'd rather have Dabo right now from this point going forward due to the momentum of the program, and the fact that he's a lot younger than Saban. However, I can't take issue with anyone ranking Saban #1 in the coaching rankings if you're considering career accomplishments.

May 2, 2019, 2:12 PM

The two Virginia coaches have done nothing to deserve being in a higher tier than duke and Syracuse coaches, those two are the clear tier after Swinney in acc.

May 2, 2019, 4:31 PM

Bronco has already made his presence known, in year 2. He began to turn that culture around in year 1. He also did an outstanding job at BYU. Fuentes inherited much more and is approaching a crossroad, imo. Fuentes was a hot name and landed in a spot where they just needed an offense for 4/5 years. Can he substain success of his first year and not the embarrassment of year 2?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree. I think Bronco is the best of that bunch

May 2, 2019, 7:32 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney moves up to No. 2 in CBS coaching tier rankings ]

and has proven quite a bit. He was good at BYU.

Fuentes and Mendenhall ahead of Dino????***

May 2, 2019, 2:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Fuentes and Mendenhall ahead of Dino????***

May 2, 2019, 2:39 PM

I can kinda see the case for Mendenhall.... but would consider Babers better at the moment. Still Mendenhall had 4 straight 11/10 win seasons (5 total)... UVA is a tough place to be an 8 wins is their "championship moment".

As for Fuentes... he might be fire this season.

May 2, 2019, 3:22 PM

ACC-list of how I see the coaches in order currently:
Dabo
Cutcliffe
Babers
Addazio
Mack B
Mendenhall
Diaz (this is a guess but I think he will be tough)
Fuente
Clawson
Doern
Narduzzi
Taggert
Collins & Satterfield, just still out?

This is soley in terms of coaching and not where I think their teams will end the season but that is possible as well.

May 2, 2019, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Fuentes and Mendenhall ahead of Dino????*** ]

Bronco, all day.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i just have a hard time buying the Lincoln Riley...

May 2, 2019, 3:30 PM

...stuff. He took over a top tier program and hasn't won hardly any of the big games he's played in. I just don't feel like he deserves the credit since he hasn't done anything except maintain what he inherited.

Uhh, he took over for a likely HOF coach and immediately

May 2, 2019, 7:36 PM

elevated the program. If you can't see why he would be highly regarded I'm not sure what to say.

May 2, 2019, 4:15 PM

Only because Urban Meyer "retired". Read that quit. This BS has little analysis and justification. It's a list that changes whenever. The experts are enamored with Saban like piranha, but look at what's starting to happen. Saban's run has problems. Even with #1 recruiting. He doesn't retain staff. He's getting older. Where's the honest analysis. ESPN. Will never happen as they're in bed with with ... Glad the Tigers approach football like --- real coaches and players.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2019, 4:24 PM

What does this list have to do with ESPN? It was completed by CBS.

I love Dabo and wouldn't trade him for anyone at the moment including Saban. However, I can't cry foul and accuse people of being biased just because they rank Saban #1. The guy has won 6 National Championships including 5 in the last 10 years. One could argue that Dabo has caught up to him at least over the past 4 years, but they have the same number of NC's, and are 2-2 against each other in that time period. Just because Dabo has been even with Saban over the last 4 years doesn't make it BS that people still have Saban ranked higher.

Man y'all really will blame ESPN for anything

May 3, 2019, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Dabo Swinney moves up to No. 2 in CBS coaching tier rankings ]

Seriously though, Dabo probably would've started passing Urban on some people's lists this year even if Meyer hadn't "retired." Dabo has one less title, but he is 2-0 against Urban with both wins coming on big stages (2013 Orange Bowl, 2016 CFP), and he's clearly been better over the last 4 years so the trajectory for Dabo is currently stronger. He also doesn't have the baggage that Urban has accumulated.

Dabo is a better leader and program builder. Time will tell***

May 2, 2019, 4:17 PM

The methodology of this ranking is hilarious

May 2, 2019, 4:47 PM

Unless it's a lifetime achievement award I'll go with Dabo as #1. Saban as a clear cut #1, really only makes any sense they're ranking him based on his entire coaching career vs. Dabo...otherwise Dabo is #1.

If it's not a lifetime achievement award why is Kirby Smart in the top 5....haha...what are they smoking???

WHY BOTHER???

Looks like something a 5yr old came up with.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, ESPiN makes a list according to feelings.

May 2, 2019, 7:21 PM

Then they rationalize what they call a formal proof. Yes, I know that confounds all logic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, ESPiN makes a list according to feelings.

May 2, 2019, 7:25 PM

ESPN is responsible for what CBS puts out now?

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

I haven't looked at the list, but you don't use just one

May 3, 2019, 10:58 AM [ in reply to The methodology of this ranking is hilarious ]

metric. You have to weigh all of the factors and blend them into one list. Saban has the same number of titles as Dabo over the last 4 years plus 4 more. He's won 5 of the last 10 CFB titles. That HAS to be considered. It's foolish to just look at the last 3 seasons and say Dabo is better because 2 > 1.

Kirby is poop***

May 2, 2019, 6:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They lost me when they ranked Kirby Smart in the elite group

May 2, 2019, 7:16 PM

nm

How many active coaches have played for a national title?

May 3, 2019, 11:01 AM

How many have won a playoff game? How many are consistently recruiting in the top 5 (top 2 or 3 really)?

I hope Kirby flames out because i strongly dislike the man, but right now it's difficult not to consider him one of the up-and-coming young coaches. I think i prefer Lincoln Riley, but those are really the two premier young coaches right now.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic