Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo has taken Clemson teams into ten 80,000+ hostile
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Dabo has taken Clemson teams into ten 80,000+ hostile

Sep 2, 2016, 10:44 AM

hostile environments and is 1-9. The 5 point win was at USuC last year. Can he reverse the trend and get another win in a big-time away stadium tomorrow night?

4 loses to FSU
3 loses to USuC
1 loss Auburn
1 loss UGA
1 win USuC

Pull Hard! Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get that 80k+ is your criteria but Louisville last year

Sep 2, 2016, 10:48 AM

was no joke. Miami 2009 was a packed house, and we've been to some bowls with a tough crowd.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Good point on Louisville. Miami--perhaps. So 12 and he is

Sep 2, 2016, 10:50 AM

3-9. Love to be 4-9 by end of tomorrow night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good point on Louisville. Miami--perhaps. So 12 and he is

Sep 2, 2016, 11:02 AM

Dabo led the Tigers to victory over #10/11 VT in 2011 in front of 67,000 VT fans. Not quite 90K fans, but I would give him credit for that - and that came after beating AU and FSU - big games!!

This is going to have more to do with protecting the ball and playing solid special teams. Don't get me wrong - I've been there in Death Valley on more than one occasion screaming until I couldn't talk anymore (last years ND and FSU come to mind). I'm more worried about turnovers, special teams, and discipline on D. Not really worried about offensive chemistry (hope I'm not wrong)

How many points does Vegas give for home field advantage? Those folks make a living off that stuff.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Miami 2009 was half full. How drunk were you?***

Sep 2, 2016, 11:07 AM [ in reply to I get that 80k+ is your criteria but Louisville last year ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blacksburg, VA is a pretty easy place to play when VT is a top 10 team....***

Sep 2, 2016, 11:03 AM

Nothing like a feel good post right before the big game.***

Sep 2, 2016, 11:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

look at the rank of those teams also....***

Sep 2, 2016, 11:04 AM

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

Other than the FSU loss

Sep 2, 2016, 11:29 AM

two years ago we were the lesser team in all those games. Were the better team in this game.

We were worse than UGa in 2014 and USC in 2013?

Sep 2, 2016, 8:38 PM

I don't think so.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We were worse than UGa in 2014 and USC in 2013?

Sep 2, 2016, 9:10 PM

I would agree that we had a small advantage in overall talent over USC in 2013, but 2014 UGA was a different story—at least with the healthy rosters each team had in Week 1.

Georgia's season went a little sour later on in 2014, but remember how stout they were early in the year with a healthy Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb, and Sonny Michel in the backfield. I'm pretty sure that they still finished the year with 10 wins despite all of the injuries they suffered. As great as our #1 ranked defense was in 2014, they couldn't handle the 3 headed rushing attack of Georgia with the offense going 3 and out most of the 2nd half with Cole Stoudt struggling.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We were worse than UGa in 2014 and USC in 2013?

Sep 2, 2016, 9:15 PM

Not to mention that we had a couple of key defenders suspended like Lawson - 2 I think.

First of all

Sep 2, 2016, 2:05 PM

they are not "hostile" environments, they are inhospitable, or unfriendly, or contrarian. You seem to be a victim of the media's paintings, and of water-under-the-bridge revisionist history. By your thinking, we are still capable of "Clemsoning", b/c, hey, that's what the pundits say. None of all that matters. You create history by putting the bad behind, and that is what Dabo's teams are doing. "Clemsoning" is now a term for bringing your own guts and delivering when it counts. So catch up with what's going on, before it passes you by.

Boom shacka lacka***

Sep 2, 2016, 2:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

any idea how many of those games the Tigers were underdogs??***

Sep 2, 2016, 2:30 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: any idea how many of those games the Tigers were underdogs??***

Sep 2, 2016, 3:19 PM

8 of the 9 losses we were underdogs. SC '09 we were favored.

stats lie, because statisticians lie....

Sep 2, 2016, 3:35 PM

well something like that.

Anyway, let's devolve some a bit:

a) 2 losses to FSU were with Tajh at QB; 1 was with a combo of Cole Stoudt and Deshaun Watson.
b) 2 losses to USuCk were with Tajh at QB and the other was with Kyle Parker.
c) the loss to Auburn was with Parker and was to the eventual Natty Champ. Almost statistically irrelevant.
d) the loss to UGA was with a combo of Cole Stout and Deshaun Watson.
e) the sole win you note was with Deshaun Watson at QB.

I think the correlating factors here show themselves pretty quickly.

Kyle Parker's teams were inferior in a lot of respects to the teams playing since 2011. In part he was injured as well that season (2010).

The combo of Cole Stoudt and Deshaun Watson didn't work well. Stoudt had potential - which he flashed against Oklahoma - but he needed a year at least of seasoning and reps to make the leap to competitive, big-time QB.

For Tajh's part, he simply had a habit of losing big games. I love the kid. He was a great physical talent. Whatever his deficiencies were he tried valiantly and won more than his share. Just not against FSU or USuCk. He did however beat LSU and OSU in big games at neutral sites, and UGA at home.

The startlingly obvious difference in the 2015 Tiger team was not the overall talent of the team (except as contrast to Parker's teams), but instead was the poise and skill of D Watson, and D Watson alone.

People should enjoy him while he is here. It is likely we'll take a step back when he leaves.

Stoudt only played one series against FSU

Sep 2, 2016, 8:40 PM

We drove the field and should've at least got 3 points

Re: Stoudt only played one series against FSU

Sep 2, 2016, 9:30 PM

Stoudt played in 3 series. Two 3 and outs and the drive down the field where he missed a wide open Leggett for a td.

Re: stats lie, because statisticians lie....

Sep 2, 2016, 9:19 PM [ in reply to stats lie, because statisticians lie.... ]

Tajh did beat FSU at home.... that team had a bunch of NFL talent so it wasn't all bad and that LSU game is one of the gutsiest QB performances I've ever seen.

Re: stats lie, because statisticians lie....

Sep 2, 2016, 9:31 PM

The 2011 FSU win was against their back up qb, making his first ever start.

I think you misread everything I said...

Sep 2, 2016, 11:46 PM [ in reply to Re: stats lie, because statisticians lie.... ]

Tajh did beat UGA a home and LSU at a neutral site. Both great, great wins. They weren't unfortunately wins in the ACC title race against FSU or in the state rivalry with USuCk, so they were in some respects less meaningful wins even as LSU was no doubt a fabulous performance.

I also pointed out that the 2015 team may not have any more talented overall than previous teams such as 2011, with the pure exception being D Watson.

That's the point here: Swinney's record against good teams on the road with 80k in attendance is bad - but it'll be better with D Watson at the helm. He has something innate from a leadership perspective that neither Boyd nor Stoudt ever had. And while K Parker may have had a fair helping of that same internal drive that D Watson has - see the win against #10 Miami in 2009 - Parker neither had the talent around him that Watson has nor did Parker have the opportunity to focus on his Football talent in the manner the Watson does. Even still, D Watson is a different breed of cat than Parker was overall.

Swine's record in these games IMHO is therefore reflective of the QB's he has had up until D Watson, and should change for the better this year.

History is definitely against us tomorrow night ...

Sep 2, 2016, 8:29 PM

... but then Dabo and his program have been re-writing history on a pretty regular basis the past few years and there is no reason not to believe that will continue against Auburn.

I've stated several times that I'm cautiously optimistic ... "cautious" because of all the things you stated plus a whole bunch more, but "optimistic" because none of that will have any impact on the present team in the upcoming game.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

of those games, how many did DW4 Start?

Sep 2, 2016, 9:59 PM

I think we will be fine

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic