Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, why did SOS get a pass when he was 1-3 vs Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

So, why did SOS get a pass when he was 1-3 vs Clemson

Aug 16, 2013, 10:05 PM

to begin his tenure, but Dabo get's crucified for being 1-4 ??

Nobody likes losing 4-in-a-row to their rival.

SCAR had to endure it on four separate occasions over the past 20 years.

I never remember any of our coaches wasting any energy trying to needle SCAR's coaches after multiple 4-win streaks and 45-0 and 63-17, etc..

They just weren't worth the time or effort.

Spurrier is insecure in his position in spite of winning 4-in-a-row. Sad actually.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well Bowden did take the occasional shot.

Aug 16, 2013, 10:08 PM

Old Steve is a special breed of jerk, so to expect him NOT to run his mouth is asking way too much, however Dabo did sort of ask for some of it with his rant. I'm not faulting him for what he said, but "Tweet that" sounds kinda hollow with his current record against USC.

That said, why would you expect Steve to do anything than he has always done? He takes shot against his teams' rivals in the press. Its part of who he is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trying to recall specific Bowden jabs ... can't remember any

Aug 16, 2013, 10:13 PM

I sort of wish Dabo had held back, but Dabo's rant came on the heels of a particularly snide shot from the SCAR brain trust. Todd Ellis took the heat, but I don't doubt for a moment that Spurrier was behind the comment.

Danny never bothered giving them the time of day, nor did Hatfield or West. If Bowden said anything, I just can't recall it.

Now Frank Howard? That was a different story, LOL.

"Every time I hear that song we win"

Aug 16, 2013, 10:18 PM

Granted if I recall correctly that was when he was given a chance to be flown in a fighter jet and someone decided to play the 2001 theme as a jab, so it wasn't exactly unsolicited.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, okay ... gotcha

Aug 16, 2013, 10:29 PM

Now I do remember. Wasn't exactly habitual though. :)

WHAT did Dabo say that isn't what most fans know??

Aug 16, 2013, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Well Bowden did take the occasional shot. ]

Also, haven't seen Dabo apologizing or backing down so don't know what the problem is.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like I said, I don't fault him for his comments

Aug 16, 2013, 11:35 PM

But, just like anyone, when you run your mouth to the press, you have to eat your crow when you don't beat the other guy.

Re: So, why did SOS get a pass when he was 1-3 vs Clemson

Aug 16, 2013, 10:09 PM

We gave Spurrier a pass when he was 1-3 against Clemson because that meant we were 3-1! Haha

I'm sure people in Columbia weren't happy and their message boards were filled w plenty of "if he doesn't beat Clemson" chatter

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No I mean why did he get a pass with the #### faitful?***

Aug 16, 2013, 10:14 PM

He didn't.***

Aug 16, 2013, 10:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

He has ALWAYS had a pass from coot fans,***

Aug 16, 2013, 11:36 PM

Tommy leaves Merriweather in the game, SOS is 0-4.***

Aug 16, 2013, 10:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got that right***

Aug 16, 2013, 10:13 PM

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That stings.

Aug 16, 2013, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Tommy leaves Merriweather in the game, SOS is 0-4.*** ]

Almost as much as Dabo's passiveness towards the game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That stings.

Aug 16, 2013, 10:42 PM

It really does. That was the strangest feeling I've ever had in Death Valley... I was a junior, standing on the hill, and there was a collective "what the FCK is Tommy doing?!?!" in the whole stadium. If there was 83,000 fans in that stadium, 82,999 knew the key to a Clemson W was giving the ####### ball to Reggie. Unfortunately that 1 guy that didn't realize it was Tommy Bowden.

I get angry every time I even think about that friggin game...including now.

Re: That stings.

Aug 16, 2013, 10:43 PM

Were 83,000**

Maybe***

Aug 16, 2013, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Tommy leaves Merriweather in the game, SOS is 0-4.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely.***

Aug 16, 2013, 10:30 PM

Easy to say with hindsight

Aug 16, 2013, 10:47 PM

All we know is the approach he took didn't work. We have no idea if leaving him in would've worked or not. That is speculation at best.

Derp.***

Aug 17, 2013, 12:00 AM [ in reply to Tommy leaves Merriweather in the game, SOS is 0-4.*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sos was. ...

Aug 16, 2013, 10:16 PM

On the hot seat in Columbia. He says he almost walked away but unfortunately was able to start winning. Also tiger thorn is right. Dabo started all the back and forth with the rant. Before that sos was pretty complimentary of dabo/Clemson. Dabo really needs to find a way to win that game.

We're going to be 11-0 heading to Columbia.

Aug 16, 2013, 10:23 PM

That game will determine if we play for a NC.

Who started it?

Aug 16, 2013, 10:31 PM [ in reply to sos was. ... ]

Pretty sure the rant by Dabo followed a nasty Spurrier jab that was mysteriously attributed later to Todd Ellis.

Todd Ellis did say it. Spurrier didn't.***

Aug 16, 2013, 10:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Todd's quote was something he claimed Spurrier said***

Aug 16, 2013, 10:35 PM

That's not true. It's not like Spurrier has ever backed down

Aug 16, 2013, 10:44 PM

from anything he actually said, There's books of his needling statements. There's no need to attribute stuff to him he didn't say.

It's an established fact that Ellis said it but if it makes you feel better, you can attribute to Spurrier.

Re: That's not true. It's not like Spurrier has ever backed down

Aug 16, 2013, 10:52 PM

If I remember right it was reported as coming from SOS until Dabo's rant and after that they said it was Todd

You remember correctly ... that is what went down ...***

Aug 16, 2013, 11:00 PM

Yes Sir.******

Aug 16, 2013, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: That's not true. It's not like Spurrier has ever backed down ]

Yep which was correct. It was initially reported incorrectly.

Aug 16, 2013, 11:07 PM [ in reply to Re: That's not true. It's not like Spurrier has ever backed down ]

null

Message was edited by: josephg®

The exact quote was "In the words of Coach Spurrier,

Aug 16, 2013, 11:12 PM

We aren't Alabama and we're not LSU, but we sure aren't Clemson."

So I think Spurrier did say Bama and LSU. But I think Ellis added the Clemson part. But how the he!! is anyone supposed to really know what Spurrier told Todd Ellis besides Ellis?

Here's the audio to put it to rest...

Aug 16, 2013, 11:38 PM

https://soundcloud.com/1075thegame/todd-ellis-call-at-end-of-sc

Obviously you could take it either way.

Must make you feel better.***

Aug 16, 2013, 11:03 PM [ in reply to That's not true. It's not like Spurrier has ever backed down ]

I was listening to that broadcast...

Aug 16, 2013, 11:29 PM [ in reply to That's not true. It's not like Spurrier has ever backed down ]

and Ellis indeed said that spurrier told him that.

Here ya go...

Aug 16, 2013, 11:38 PM

https://soundcloud.com/1075thegame/todd-ellis-call-at-end-of-sc

yep, that is what I heard***

Aug 17, 2013, 12:00 AM

Wow, they backtracked like they did outta that?

Aug 17, 2013, 12:09 AM

What a bunch of BS they were spraying back then trying to weasel out of it. It certainly didn't help us on the field last year, but I do understand the cumulative effect of this type of thing and it bodes well for los Tigres.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow, they backtracked like they did outta that?

Aug 17, 2013, 9:22 AM

This soundclip is what everyone is getting sideways about? Good grief, Spurrier has said much worse to other teams over the years.

Go back and look up the news on the story and you will see that when Dabo was told Spurrier claimed he didn't make the comments Dabo referred to the Twitter account of Spurrier's where the comment was posted and gave that as his reasoning for believing Spurrier made the comment.

Two things about this IMO.....it was a nothing comment, no matter who made it, and....if you believe a 66 year old football coach was Tweeting right after a big win then you must hang out with some very unique senior citizens.

I think it's unlikely Spurrier has ever tweeted in his life, but even if he did tweet the comment, WGAS.

Exactly. Spurrier for sure said half of the quote, but the

Aug 16, 2013, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Todd's quote was something he claimed Spurrier said*** ]

way Todd Ellis said it, you could easily think that Spurrier said the entire quote. I don't think Spurrier said it, but Ellis certainly was misleading with his words.

Ultimately, only Spurrier and Ellis know for sure.

I think he probably did say it - in private

Aug 17, 2013, 12:18 AM

to his team.

He obviously didn't say it publically. Ellis tried to quote him. He may have screwed it up some - but I feel certain Spurrier said something like it.

Coaches say all sorts of things to their players and team-behind closed doors.

Every coach would have to quit tomorrow if the public held them accountable for everything they said in private to their team.

Correct, and I believe Spurrier most likely said it

Aug 17, 2013, 12:17 AM [ in reply to Todd's quote was something he claimed Spurrier said*** ]

in some fashion or another.

Coaches say all sorts of stuff - behind the scenes- about other programs and coaches.

99% of the time the radio announcers don't go out and say what a coach has said in private- or to his team.

Coaches know that. Dabo Swinney has said things privately to his team about other schools- and teams.

All coaches have.

But it isn't for the public- unless someone like Todd runs his mouth.

I don't really understand why another coach would get upset at something like that unless the coach himself said it publically.

Yes!***

Aug 16, 2013, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Who started it? ]

He didn't get a pass. "What do you want me to do Ron?"

Aug 16, 2013, 10:39 PM

Spurrier's needle is good for the rivalry just like when he was at UF and needled UGA, FSU, and, UT. It helps elevate the rivalry nationally and it will make it more satisfying for whichever team wins this year.

I hate him and now hate USC even more.

Well said and I also add that Spurrier gets a pass on not

Aug 16, 2013, 11:11 PM

winning a single conference championship in 8 years, yet that was always the knock on Tommy Bowden.

re

Aug 16, 2013, 11:19 PM

Come on guys. Dabo knew spurrier didn't say it. The whole rant was set up, several local writers have talked about being told to be there and a couple Clemson writers said they were asked to ask the question but didn't want a part in it. Its well documented so you're either not in the know or are in denial. it was staged and it backfired

Aug 17, 2013, 6:33 AM

I don't think Ron Morris gave Spurrier a pass.

Spurrier's reply as to why he couldn't beat a rookie coach like Dabo - "What do you want me to do Ron?".

Aug 17, 2013, 9:14 AM

Because he has won the last four, duh!

Aug 17, 2013, 10:20 AM

This is a great question. As a fan of both I see the best and worst of both. Dabo is doing his thing and very few people are asking for him to leave due to success outside of the USC game. Back to back 10 win seasons shows he is doing his thing regardless of what people say about the ACC. he wins with his schedule which all coaches can only dream of

Spurrier came in a legend and many USC fans were worried another washed up legend was coming in to have a final hoorah and it was a mistake. I remember plenty of USC fans saying all he cares about is golf, he doesn't recruit, he doesn't care about the Clemson game like he should. Then he started winning a few against Ga, Tenn, UF and the rest fell in place. He started getting excited on tv, started talking about how he loves USC and his job and enjoys breaking records.

I think everyone would agree after back to back 11 win seasons that he has done significant work and may have even improved his legacy nationwide with what he has done at USC.

Both schools fans should be proud because SC now has the 2 highest ranked in state schools in the country. This could set up for the biggest matchup in the history of the rivalry come Nov and what about a great close game, both teams win their conference and a set up a rematch in the National Champ game???

Then people from both schools would agree DAbo -14 and SOS 1-3 were good for each school and should have been given a pass for what they were building

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sos hasn't won squat at usuc. how could he have enhanced

Aug 17, 2013, 10:41 AM

his "legacy". if anything people think, well know, he is circumventing the rules,which he was never thought to have done prior to coming to usuc, all the while still finishing high mid in the sec.
and also, sos has repeatedly stated in the media that he still prefers uf to usuc.

Aug 17, 2013, 10:54 AM

SGT Tiger that is a bold statement.

He hasn't done squat at USC. Can you name another coach to go 8-0 vs UGA UF Tenn Clemson?

I can't name a Clemson or USC coach to go 11-0 back to back years

Many may hate him but to say he hasn't done anything at USC is pretty silly. When I used his legacy statement that is factored in, he built a decent team at USC and nationwide people see that, it really isn't even debatable

now is he a jerk, does he do some things that many consider questionable , that is debatable but his results on the field even the most hard core Clemson fans can respect and yes many like me do.

how could he be 8-0 against those teams ? uf won last yr.

Aug 17, 2013, 11:02 AM

tennessee is a mere shell of it's former self. he has done well against us and uga, but usuc IS currently on probation,too. we'll see, i will also say that his runs against us and uga are about to be history.

SOS took over a program that had lost 4 straight to its riva

Aug 17, 2013, 11:05 AM

Dabo took over a program had won 9 of the last 11 against its rivals.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

sos has already gotten usuc on probation. dabo hasn't even

Aug 17, 2013, 11:14 AM

been thought to be cheating.

Dabo gets a pass, but

Aug 17, 2013, 11:21 AM

Honestly, he should be a minimum of 2-3 vs Scar, but really even 3-2.

2009-- 8-3 ACC Atlantic Division champ Clemson at 6-5 Scar. Coots came into that game with a 3 game losing streak. Spiller's senior year. Some said we were looking ahead to ACC title game the next week, but I don't buy that excuse. If you can't get up for your rival, something is wrong. No excuse getting drilled in that one. I felt we had the best team that year and should've won.

2010-- 8-3 SEC east champ Scar at 6-5 Clemson.
Losing this one was acceptable. Scar just had the better team that year. They won CFB's toughest division which is an accomplishment even if the east was down that year. They just had the better team and we were struggling on offense.

2011-- 9-2 ACC Atlantic division champ Clemson at 9-2 Scar. Honestly during mid season I felt we had the best team, but after getting drilled by GT and NC State I saw this one coming. I would say they were slightly better and the best team won.

2012-- 9-2 Scar at 10-1 Clemson. If we were good enough to beat LSU we were good enough to beat Scar at home. We hadn't lost a home game since the last time we played the coots in 2010, which should've been extra motivation. These teams were VERY evenly matched, and the home team should've won this one, which was us.

I would say Scar was clearly better in 2010, and just slightly better in 2011. There is really no excuse to having a four game losing streak. I give Dabo a pass for now and just call it bad luck, but really he should be no worse than 2-3, and more like 3-2 against them.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic