Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo and Alabama. I have a prominent, obnoxious, Alabama
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Dabo and Alabama. I have a prominent, obnoxious, Alabama

Mar 28, 2016, 6:50 PM

friend who lives in Montgomery. He grew up in Buford, GA...go figure.

Anyway he tells me they LOVE Dabo in Alabama. Dabo's eulogy at the Turner funeral just fortified their love.

The day is going to come when Saben retires, or flies the coop, and there is no question who their first choice will be.

When that time comes, I would hate to be Dabo. What do you do? When Bear Bryant was asked why he left A&M to go to Alabama, he replied, "Mama called."

Dabo has got to love Alabama considering the opportunities he was afforded there. But, there is no question he loves Clemson considering what he has done there, the family atmosphere he has created, and the fact that his kids consider Clemson their home.

Alabama can probably sweeten the pot, and offer more money than we can, but, do you live better off if you make $3,000,000+ versus $5,000,000+.

Finally, as Frank Broyles said back in the day when Bobby Dodd's Ga Tech teams were a national powerhouse, he was the assumed heir apparent. He was asked if he wanted the Tech job once Dodd retired. He said, "No, I want the Tech job after Dodd's replacement has been fired. You can't replace a legend."

Trust me, this is not meant to be a positive, or negative post...just a thought provoking one.

My money is on Dabo retiring at Clemson!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do not want to be the man immediately following Saban,

Mar 28, 2016, 7:24 PM

the next one after that, maybe. Besides, Clemson is Dabo's sons' home, and that means a lot. I guess this subject will remain one of the topics of choice for the pot stirrers until August

let Kiffen fail there first after Saban.

Mar 28, 2016, 8:15 PM

it won't take many loses in the Iron Bowl for the wealthy gumps to get restless.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I don't see him going anywhere in the next 10 years.

Mar 28, 2016, 9:22 PM

But even if he does it is not a big deal unless he takes the entire staff with him. Maybe he takes Elliot or Scott, Brent gets the HC job, we would be fine and that is the worst case scenario.

Re: I don't see him going anywhere in the next 10 years.

Mar 28, 2016, 11:06 PM

I agree. The fact he turned down the Texas deal is telling.

Re: Dabo and Alabama. I have a prominent, obnoxious, Alabama

Mar 28, 2016, 7:26 PM

That would be a safe bet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2016, 8:10 PM

Alabama may be his alma mater, but it isn't his baby.

Clemson is his baby. He built it...not from nothing, but he definitely hauled it from mediocrity and out into national relevance.

The more he does here, the less, I feel, he'll want to go there. You don't bail on a dynasty you yourself built just to go continue someone else's dynasty.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Nick Saban has an increasingly lengthy coaching tree of his own he's established, and the Nick Saban school of coaching is assuredly NOT the same as the Dabo Swinney school of coaching. The two coaching cultures, honestly, aren't particularly compatible...Dabo might be popular among the alums and his name might excite fans, but I do not know how well he'd fit a very entrenched culture that grew up around The Saban Way.

There'd be some definite resistance to the way Dabo does things. Maybe even enough to prevent Dabo from getting hired to begin with.

50/50. We win this year due to D-Wat who knows?***

Mar 28, 2016, 10:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2016, 10:30 PM

I think we all worry about Dabo going to Alabama, but he does love Clemson, and it would be hard to follow Saban.
Hope that is enough.

I'm not worried one bit

Mar 28, 2016, 10:36 PM

There is no way Dabo would leave for Alabama. There is NOTHING he can do at Alabama that he can't do at Clemson and there is A LOT he can do at Clemson that he can't do at Alabama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have met Tigernet right? She's a fickle ##### when

Mar 29, 2016, 12:15 AM

Clemson loses. ;)

But yes, I agree, I do not believe Dabo will ever voluntarily leave Clemson, even for Alabama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Mar 29, 2016, 12:05 AM

It's a concern, but Dabo has a shot to be Clemson's Bobby Bowden, Tom Osbourne, Barry Switzer, Bo Schem, etc. SO why would he give that up to be the next coach at a school with inarguably the two greatest coaches of all time? Not to mention, he'd be fired for going 11-2 for two straight seasons

Its all about timing

Mar 29, 2016, 9:24 AM

Nobody wants to be the man that follows the man. If Nick retires in the next 2-3 years, I'd say we are pretty safe. I don't think Dabo wants to throw his family into that much change with his kids at this stage in life.

If the NEXT opening is 5-10 years down the road, it would be hard to not listen. Would he be so entrenched here that its a lateral move?

But I'm not so sure that Bama fans would really embrace Dabo. Bama fans think its their birthright to win. So a Dancing Dabo after beating Western Carolina might not go over so well. Bama didn't even have a team meeting to watch the playoff selection show. Dabo throws a huge pizza party so that his team can be recognized and rewarded. Bama is what BV says Oklahoma became, where there is no fun in the winning. Dabo has that opposite belief in that you only have 12-15 times a year to celebrate so you might as well make the most of each of them. I think that would rub Bama fans the wrong way the first time he didn't win the NC/SEC/LSU game.

Don't Count Out Dabo getting the "NFL" Itch

Mar 29, 2016, 9:59 AM

He seems to be making a lot of friends in the NFL. He knows how to develop wide receivers. In fact he is on record and saying that the NFL does a poor job of coaching up Wide Receivers.

I could see him being offered an NFL gig where his "family" approach would be really successful. I would imagine he would hire the kind of staff that he would allow them to do their jobs as he does now. He probably would work personally with the Wide Receivers as he has proven that he can do a great job

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Don't Count Out Dabo getting the "NFL" Itch

Mar 29, 2016, 10:13 AM

Dabo adds at least 5 to ten thousand to his family every year. I doubt he could do that in the pros. Since his kids grew up in Clemson, hopefully they will live in Clemson before Dabo gets the offer and he remains in Clemson because of "family". Best case, he just tell them No.

I don't count it out, but my opinion is that it's not even

Mar 29, 2016, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Don't Count Out Dabo getting the "NFL" Itch ]

close for Dabo. To me he very clearly loves the role of college coach. The dynamic is completely different when you are managing professional athletes.

Honestly, I have no fear about the NFL or Alabama (so if I'm not worried about Alabama...I'm not worried about any college program). Dabo knows the score. He has found his home. Just relax and enjoy it.

null

and awbuhn hates 'im, so there's that***

Mar 29, 2016, 11:29 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

'Bama gave him opportunities, yes. Clemson saved him from

Mar 29, 2016, 1:11 PM

selling Real Estate!

It's not a given he would pick 'Bama over Clemson. Clemson might be "Mama" now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a great problem to have! How long has it been

Mar 29, 2016, 1:18 PM

Since we have had any reason to be concerned whether we would lose our head football coach to a program with the tradition Bama has? I remember Bama was in the talking between agents stage with Bama when Bowden was here in his second season but TB decided to stay put. Of course that was before Saban took over the Tide and I think they're happy how it worked out for them. Still I keep asking myself how many schools would've taken a chance on somebody like Dabo to be the head coach given his obvious lack of credentials at the time.
I recall how concerned many were, including myself, Coac Bowden would jump ship and head to Bama. So we gave him a nice raise and increased his incentives to stay. The rest is history as they say.

Mar 29, 2016, 5:03 PM

I think a lot has to do with timing. What if Saban leaves but Clemson is in the playoffs? What if Saban leaves and Clemson is 7-5 instead of coming off a national championship appearance. Would Bama fans want Dabo then?

These scenarios are almost impossible to predict. Everyone though Les Miles would return to coach his alma mater, Michigan but it never happened. Same with several other coaches.

I could see Dabo leaving for Bama but right now I'm 100% sure that he's not thinking about it. He's focused on winning at Clemson

He has turned Alabama down like 3

Mar 29, 2016, 6:07 PM

Times since he became a coach at Clemson. He's loyal and I think it would be hard for him to leave

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic