Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who was the smartest Clemson Quarterback ever?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Who was the smartest Clemson Quarterback ever?

Nov 23, 2017, 10:48 AM

Charlie Whitehurst. He graduated with a perfect 4.0 (against the coots).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who was the smartest Clemson Quarterback ever?

Nov 23, 2017, 10:53 AM

Nice one!!

Deshaun Watson wasn't too shabby either! He would have had a 4.0, too, had he not graduated so early.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2017, 12:30 PM

Jimmy Addison - mid 1960s - back when the QB called his own plays.

Nov 23, 2017, 1:12 PM

Now that you mentioned it, ur right. Still have his chinstrap. Thank you for posting this.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2017, 10:58 AM

+1 on both these posts.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2017, 11:01 AM

I believe that Steve Fuller would be the guy. As I recall, he was the first Clemson athlete nominated for the Rhodes scholarship. Perhaps the first student. I think that he won a Fulbright scholarship. Smart guy and a super quarterback. Super bowl winner you know!

Nov 23, 2017, 11:12 AM

I'm going to agree you bc that is who I wanted to say, but I couldn't get his name to show up in my old brain. It would have come up 30 minutes from now. The brain starts doing crap like that when it gets old and worn out, the circuits stop firing at once, and if I try and force them, they will short out and come up blank!!! There is always a price to pay with every +10 years of life after the age of 30....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2017, 11:16 AM

You are just a kid compared with some ‘really old’ Tigers I know! Headed towards 80 quicker than I am ready for.

Nov 23, 2017, 6:20 PM

I'll be 65 come Monday!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2017, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Who was the smartest Clemson Quarterback ever? ]

79 in 2 wks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2017, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Who was the smartest Clemson Quarterback ever? ]

I put a vote in for Rodney Williams. He rarely made game changing mistakes, and ran the option to a tee. He would hold the ball and take the hit right after pitching to a running back with a clear lane. Had those back to back 10 win seasons with bowl wins over Oklahoma and Penn State. Worthy of a mention imo.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2017, 12:32 PM

Some of you are comparing apples and oranges. Are you talking book smart or football smart?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rodney would be fun to have a beer or two with, though.***

Nov 23, 2017, 1:56 PM

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 23, 2017, 11:13 AM

In terms of football smarts I go Watson. He was always one step ahead and could see things nobody else did. Special special talent

Nealon Greene.

Nov 23, 2017, 11:52 AM

I liked when he ran out of bounds on 4th down on Georgia. The night we wore those throwback unis.

Seriously though. Cool guy and did some good things for us. Could start ahead an Flake Bentley, that's for sure.

Ken Pengitore.

Nov 23, 2017, 12:29 PM

Hands down.

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jimmy Bell (now Dr. Bell) from the

Nov 23, 2017, 2:54 PM

late 60's?

Clemson has a history of top student/quarterbacks

Nov 23, 2017, 5:06 PM

If I remember correctly, Steve Fuller was awarded a merit scholarship out of high school on top of his athletic free ride and graduated with a 4.0 or very close to it.

And he knew football too.

Willie Simmons graduated in three years

Nov 23, 2017, 5:33 PM

which was fastest for a football player at Clemson at the time. He is now head coach at Prairie View.
His record is 20-11.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On the field, Deshaun Watson

Nov 23, 2017, 5:40 PM

I'm not sure about off the field, but the one I remember with the most academic honors was Steve Fuller.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 23, 2017, 5:42 PM

Do armchair QB's count? Cause if they do, someone on Tigernet will win hands-down!

Go Tigers!!!

Nov 23, 2017, 6:23 PM

Probably someone who stood on the sideline and never played.

Nov 23, 2017, 6:36 PM

I believe Fuller would be considered the smartest academically and athletically. Didn't he have an academic scholarship?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Athletically?

Nov 23, 2017, 6:41 PM

I would suggest that other #4.

Re: Athletically?

Nov 23, 2017, 9:37 PM

"Athletically" has a different connotation for different years re football. Today's game is vastly different from those years when Fuller was the QB. Having witnessed every QB Clemson has had since 1955, attempting to factor in the differences in the game over the years, Fuller stands out in MHO. This in no way is intended as a slam on Watson, he was terrific.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

streeter

Nov 23, 2017, 6:44 PM

Ended up a coach.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

streeter

Nov 23, 2017, 6:46 PM

Ended up a coach.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Billy Luckie***

Nov 23, 2017, 7:13 PM

Slade Nagle***

Nov 23, 2017, 7:18 PM

Billy Luckie***

Nov 23, 2017, 7:13 PM

DW4 at Clemson & on into the NFL/no doubt******

Nov 23, 2017, 9:07 PM

I have no doubt he would’ve put up crazy #’s if he

Nov 23, 2017, 9:19 PM

played under Ol Coach Morris!!! It was built for him!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Steve Fuller***

Nov 23, 2017, 11:42 PM

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic