Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Crazy but realistic scenario
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Crazy but realistic scenario

Nov 15, 2016, 10:31 AM

OSU, Wisconsin and Oklahoma win out. Penn State wins their next two but lose to Wisc in Championship game.

Clemson and Bama win out and are in. So theres two spots.
The teams in contention are Wisconsin, OSU, Michigan, Oklahoma, Louisville, and Pac champ (still think Wash will lose again, but lets just ignore the Pac for now.)

OSU doesnt have a conference championship, but they beat Wisconsin (and two other prime candidates Michigan and Oklahoma) head to head. Oklahoma has an outright conference championship with two losses, but so does Wisconsin. Wisconsin played in a tougher conference but they didnt beat the best teams, where Oklahoma had to beat everyone to win, and will have more wins over ranked teams probably (barely and its still pretty much a wash if things go as expected.)

You pretty much HAVE to put OSU in. They have the most impressive wins by far of anyone. I also think Lamar Jackson winning the Heisman and carrying the ESPN hype will carry weight, right wrong or otherwise. Wisconsin and Oklahoma are a wash pretty much IMO. So they stick one loss OSU and Louisville in.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And the drumbeat for an 8 team playoff gets louder

Nov 15, 2016, 10:35 AM

6 "major conference" champs get in (with some caveat for particularly lowly ranked conference champs not getting in, like they're out of the top 20 or something).

Then 2 at large.

We can still have fun arguing about the at large teams, but if you don't win your conference then you start to get really nervous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Crazy but realistic scenario

Nov 15, 2016, 10:37 AM

A twist - what if WVU wins out (OU at home, @Iowa St, Baylor at home) and Oklahoma State loses either to TCU or OU (both on the road, no stretch to think they drop one), leaving WVU at 11-1 and undisputed Big 12 Champion?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2016, 10:41 AM

Then they probably get in. They are basically in the same boat as we are.

Its way too early but I think OSU winning at home convincingly vs Mich is really gonna throw a wrench in things because as much as we all may hate OSU I cant imagine anyone saying they didnt earn the right to go.

If us and Bama have 2 spots, and OSU has earned the third, then yes as Thom said we can all start clamoring for an 8 team playoff.

2 loss Wisconsin big10 champ will make it in over 2 loss

Nov 15, 2016, 10:39 AM

No champ OSU.

The question in your scenario will be if a no champ 1 loss luisville would make it instead of 1 loss pac champ or 2 loss other big10 team with no championships.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

OSU will only have 1 loss

Nov 15, 2016, 10:42 AM

And they will have beaten Mich, Wisconsin and Oklahoma.

Re: OSU will only have 1 loss

Nov 15, 2016, 10:48 AM

And worse, still (ASSUMING Penn State wins out), If OSU beats Michigan, thus giving Penn State the Big 10 East, OSU is on the outside looking in (not a conf champ).

Bizzarre!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

If they lose to Wisconsin in the championship game like your

Nov 15, 2016, 10:48 AM [ in reply to OSU will only have 1 loss ]

scenario says, they'll have two losses and they're out. So is Michigan. Only teams in contention at that point are Louisville, Oklahoma, and Washington.

Correction, read it again and you're right. The playoff

Nov 15, 2016, 10:49 AM

committee would explode lol.

No ,

Nov 15, 2016, 10:49 AM [ in reply to OSU will only have 1 loss ]

You're right. . My stupid #### thought wis beat osu not penn.

I need more coffee.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

its mind numbing, but thats what will happen if favorites

Nov 15, 2016, 11:19 AM

win out. Im assuming Wisconsin will be favored over PSU.

Us and Bama are favored as of now from here on out. OSU will be in their next two, as will LOU. Wisconsin only has two close losses. If LSU stays ranked, they will have two wins over ranked teams.

Oklahoma will have three wins over ranked teams, but not pass the eye test IMO.

Ironically, Houston - who Lou may have been hoping had lost at the time - taken another potential quality win away from Lou and its gonna be very tough for them to jump two conf champions.

Nov 15, 2016, 11:31 AM

Washington is in in that scenario assuming they win out.

Nov 15, 2016, 1:45 PM

just makes it that much crazier. I agree if they win out but WSU is actually playing well and I think theyll lose at least one regular season or conf champ.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic