Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Crazy but for 40 yrs I didn't realize Tom Clemson was a Yankee from Philly “Cheesesteak” Pa!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,360

Crazy but for 40 yrs I didn't realize Tom Clemson was a Yankee from Philly “Cheesesteak” Pa!

Jan 28, 2019, 9:49 AM

Happened in 2008 when a date & I were standing at Tom Clemson’s Statue in front of Tillman Hall & she read the plaque and exclaimed the Guy was from her hometown!

I about passed out in that I have been known to still verbally fight & lament the Civil War loss with them Northerners & with myself.

So, did you know Tom was a dammn Yank AND what year did you learn about this distressful info?

Man or Woman uP!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jim Phillips was from Ohio***

Jan 28, 2019, 10:08 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Crazy but for 40 yrs I didn't realize Tom Clemson was a Yankee from Philly “Cheesesteak” Pa!

Jan 28, 2019, 10:13 AM

Yep - knew that LBB... Lots of good folks are from PA -:).
BTW - how did the date work out for ya? -:D

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Tom Clemson

Jan 28, 2019, 10:40 AM

Old Tom might have originally been yank, but he also served as a full colonel in the Confederate Army. He was too old for combat but applied his chemical expertise to manufacturing gunpowder in Miss.

Prior to the war, he served the US Government in the position that is now Secretary of Agriculture and helped found what is now The University of Maryland. He owned a plantation in Maryland also.

A little known fact is that TG Clemson was 6 feet, 7 inches tall.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Crazy but for 40 yrs I didn't realize Tom Clemson was a Yankee from Philly “Cheesesteak” Pa!

Jan 28, 2019, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Crazy but for 40 yrs I didn't realize Tom Clemson was a Yankee from Philly “Cheesesteak” Pa! ]

Christian Wilkins is from Massachusetts, and that's even worse, and we converted him. Conversions are possible you know even with those hopeless yankees.

I learned that in freshman orientation in 1968.........

Jan 28, 2019, 10:58 AM

BTW, did you know that a large portion of alumni and present student population are #### yankees???

Jan 28, 2019, 11:54 AM

TGC was involved in starting U of Md and Miss St as I recall. Granted not to the extent of Clemson but still interesting to think of

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,360
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic