Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Country Music has turned into a buncha
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Country Music has turned into a buncha

Apr 3, 2016, 8:23 PM

Bleached teeth queerboys...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Turned?

Apr 3, 2016, 8:24 PM

Been that way for years. Thank God for Stapleton, Simpson, and Isbell now.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Song of the year!

Apr 3, 2016, 8:28 PM

More to come.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep***

Apr 3, 2016, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Turned? ]

If you're watching an awards show, how can you expect

Apr 3, 2016, 8:34 PM

to see anything other than the soulless pop schlock that the corporate music establishment serves up? Sure, you might get a glimpse of a Stapleton or Simpson once in a blue moon, but it's a rare moment when those guys manage to shine through the feces shower that vultures like iHeart dump on the American sheeple all day every day. I haven't watched ANY kind of awards show in decades. I like to save my vomit for an actual Vomitfest.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eric Church is as cheesy as I can go.

Apr 3, 2016, 8:40 PM

I like him.

Does he sing about Fireball liqueur and Yeti hats?***

Apr 3, 2016, 8:44 PM

He's got some good material but he's not one of my favorites

Apr 3, 2016, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Eric Church is as cheesy as I can go. ]

I wish I got paid every time I tell someone to go listen to Hayes Carll. He belongs in the same conversation as Isbell, Simpson, and Stapleton, and is probably my favorite of that group. He's got a new record out this month, and the timing is definitely right for him to break in a big way. Also, go check out Sarah Shook and the Disarmers. They'll never be big with the country music establishment because of some of her content, but she's more authentic than 98% of what gets airplay. Brandy Clark is another that I really like. She's an awesomely clever songwriter, and Margo Price's new one s the female counterpart to Jason Isbell. If you listen to a lot of Price and Isbell together, you might need to go on suicide watch before it's all over. They both bring the pain and heartache pretty well.

Just give me someone with a decent voice

Apr 3, 2016, 9:01 PM

So far they all sound the same

Aldeen ok, ...

I can hear some Townes in Hayes. does he do up-tempo?***

Apr 3, 2016, 9:18 PM [ in reply to He's got some good material but he's not one of my favorites ]

null

Message was edited by: NoIntroduction®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can hear some Townes in Hayes. does he do up-tempo?***

Apr 4, 2016, 2:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqK4Q67rdM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrIJ1aMdkvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTawDAs1aT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR0ViHkF37I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcmdB6nHSbc

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

weak spot for dobro.

Apr 3, 2016, 9:27 PM [ in reply to He's got some good material but he's not one of my favorites ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J3Pxk6XUXk

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He's got some good material but he's not one of my favorites

Apr 4, 2016, 1:33 AM [ in reply to He's got some good material but he's not one of my favorites ]

https://youtu.be/aDgN-_NjxoA

Not really sure how I feel about "authenticity"

Apr 4, 2016, 1:59 PM [ in reply to He's got some good material but he's not one of my favorites ]

Especially if we're talking about lyrics that just turn out to be about the same stuff that's been talked about (and celebrated) in other musical genres for the last 50 years. Good country music has always been able to give a sense of a hard-scrabble life, but it was also about being dignified and knowing better. They might've been rednecks and losers - or they might've been writing about rednecks and losers- but they always had a sense that things could and should be better. You still get that from people like Stapleton and Isbell, and sometimes from Simpson.

Some of these more "authentic" lyrics still talk about hard-scrabble life, but they've lost the dignified redneck ethic and replaced it with the same bobo values you get everywhere else. Maybe this is just a reflection of cultural rot among blue-collar white people that's set in over the last 20 years or so, but it doesn't seem like a good development to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We had this bad trend of people like Jason Aldean trying to

Apr 4, 2016, 2:18 PM

tell us how country they were in what was a little more than pop rock arrangements with a tiny twang. Then, it all just went to #### and somebody spilled EDM and lord knows what else into it.

Some still criticize Stapleton for having written so many pop country hits. Here is a link. http://www.onecountry.com/6-songs-chris-stapleton-wrote-that-you-already-know-1648188938.html

but you drop those songs in a place that provided some semblance of variety and traditional country music, and they aren't all hot garbage.

There was a time when I could stand Kenny Chesney. Then he went off the rails. I didn't like George Straits "Here for a Good Time." Actually, I cared so little for it I never bothered to rip in and add it to my digital collection. Darius is a hack.

As far as the blue collar culture. It seems a lot of those folks elected to take the white trash route instead of the good type of red neck that Charlie Daniels talks about.

Message was edited by: aerozeptallica®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Authenticity is a combination of the lyrics, the sound, and

Apr 4, 2016, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Not really sure how I feel about "authenticity" ]

the soul (or lack thereof) with which the tune is delivered. You know full well when you're listening to something that stands well in the light of the Merle Haggard, George Jones, Willie Nelson, or any number of other masters. Lyrics alone don't necessarily determine the level of authenticity, because there's only so much to cover in the human condition that will stand up to the scrutiny of what's acceptable in country music. That's why so much of what passes for country music these days does NOT ring authentic...it's pop music dressed up in cowboy hats & boots and the hiring a pedal steel player to give the tune some credence and cartoonish lyrics that are crafted to cross over from that common man experience. In reality, the lines are really pretty blurred if you start trying to categorize with a myriad of sub-genres, but I KNOW when I'm hearing good country music. I can't say the same about the vast majority of public at large.

I agree with this

Apr 4, 2016, 2:47 PM

For me, country music is the kind that really pulls at your heart strings. It will either make you want to cry, drink, or punch somebody. Usually all at once. Most of the songs today talk about doing those but don't make YOU want to do it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Or, they talk about putting her up on a sink

Apr 4, 2016, 2:55 PM

and using the purple umbrella to stir the drink. What is wrong with laying her down and softly whispering pretty love words in her ear?

I think this is a great example

Apr 4, 2016, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Authenticity is a combination of the lyrics, the sound, and ]

for what you describe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRqfWXeqEko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trlIQcdi2QI

They need to start including some alt-country acts IMO

Apr 4, 2016, 2:22 PM

When a great song comes out by a Ryan Adams, OCMS or similar, the only way it makes it to country radio is with a shittycoverversion.

Like Zac Brown's arrogantly saying he

Apr 4, 2016, 2:24 PM

recorded Dress Blues so more people would hear it?

Ed Zachary***

Apr 4, 2016, 2:25 PM

The more I hear Zac Brown, the more I realize he's

Apr 4, 2016, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Like Zac Brown's arrogantly saying he ]

a semi-competent Jimmy Buffett cover band.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had some hope for him in the beginning.

Apr 4, 2016, 2:28 PM

Which is what it sounds like your point is anyway.

Yeah, it should be a law that you can't put out garbage

Apr 4, 2016, 2:30 PM

throwaway rum drink beach songs if Dave Grohl produced one of your albums.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But couldn't it be said that if Dave Grohl works with you,

Apr 4, 2016, 2:56 PM

you've got the chops to do what the fudge you want?

And with regard to Jimmy Buffett...

Apr 4, 2016, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Yeah, it should be a law that you can't put out garbage ]

the man was at one time an amazingly talented songwriter. His first handful of records were filled with great songs. Then, the light came on and he saw how to fill the vaults with cash by churning out throwaway beach party tunes. I still like Buffett, but I don't listen anything past the late 70s catalog. And I would have no problem going to one of his shows either, if I could afford a ticket.

THIS. I don't really get the ZBB love, it's just party

Apr 4, 2016, 2:30 PM [ in reply to The more I hear Zac Brown, the more I realize he's ]

music to sing along to.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The vibe I get here in Nashvegas is that he is an "edgy"

Apr 4, 2016, 2:33 PM

alternative option for those who normally listen to Florida-Georgia line. In relative terms like that, he's a musical genius.

But dude, Beautiful Drug!***

Apr 4, 2016, 2:34 PM

I wouldn't say that, fully. I've always had fun at

Apr 4, 2016, 2:31 PM [ in reply to The more I hear Zac Brown, the more I realize he's ]

their shows. He had some songs that would smack you dead in the feels too. (Hwy 20 Ride comes to mind) He also went too far off the rails with his last album.

However, they were really good at the Laundry List songs as well as "beach songs" when they wanted to be. This supports your assessment.

You know who else used to put on really fun shows?

Apr 4, 2016, 2:44 PM

Hootie.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

I'm not sure I'd have had fun at

Apr 4, 2016, 2:49 PM

one of their shows, unless I was with a date.

As an amateur musicologist, I LOVE deep levels of sub-genres

Apr 4, 2016, 3:20 PM [ in reply to They need to start including some alt-country acts IMO ]

for my own purposes, but I hate that for the perfect example of an 'alt-country' act not gaining airplay or garnering awards because they aren't 'traditional'.

geez, is it 1990 again?

Apr 4, 2016, 3:02 PM

Garth Brooks, the Michael Jordan of country music.

Apr 4, 2016, 3:03 PM

...I don't know who equates to George Strait though.

Karl Malone***

Apr 4, 2016, 3:04 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you figure?

Apr 4, 2016, 3:10 PM

I think Karl Malone is more like Travis Tritt. I really enjoyed his work, but he didn't win too many championships.

dong hangs out of shorty shorts***

Apr 4, 2016, 3:11 PM

Sharty needs to A. stop working

Apr 4, 2016, 3:16 PM

and vacationing so danged much and B. Stop letting Dong hang out in his shorts.

except Jordan didn't lead basketball into depths

Apr 4, 2016, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Garth Brooks, the Michael Jordan of country music. ]

it has never recovered from.

But maybe Jordan begat Lebron and his ilk much like Garth begat Taylor Swift and her ilk.
So you do have a point.

Truthfully, I can handle Taylor Swift ALOT more than

Apr 4, 2016, 3:21 PM

Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Fla-Ga Line, and that group of shiitty beach country drinking tailgating music.

Oh, but the NBA really is a worse game now than

Apr 4, 2016, 3:22 PM [ in reply to except Jordan didn't lead basketball into depths ]

before him. What with the 10 steps to the basket and such.

agreed, you do have a point

Apr 4, 2016, 3:26 PM

NBA is unwatchable and pop country music is unlistenable.

At least 90s' pop country had some

Apr 4, 2016, 3:33 PM

pretty fun moments. Who didn't love the tashy women song?

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic