Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Could we build a 3-4 defense around Big Dex?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Could we build a 3-4 defense around Big Dex?

Aug 1, 2016, 9:06 PM

He has the size to be a space eating nose tackle in the 3-4. Plus Christian Wilkins would be perfect as a 3-4 end. Move a few of our under-sized ends to LB and it could work.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Could we build a 3-4 defense around Big Dex?

Aug 1, 2016, 9:12 PM

I think we can build anything we want to around him and Wilkins. This team is going to be very special, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My only concern is whether or not well get

Aug 1, 2016, 9:57 PM

Called for too many men on the field when DL is in . . .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My only concern is whether or not well get

Aug 1, 2016, 10:36 PM

Now THAT is funny! +1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My only concern is whether or not well get

Aug 3, 2016, 8:35 AM [ in reply to My only concern is whether or not well get ]

To the guy across the line from him he will seem like more than one. He is a load!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2016, 9:14 PM

I am not sure which DEs you think are undersized.

Bryant - 269
Yeargin - 265
Ferrell - 264
Kelly - 259

They will be just fine

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I saw the weights for our DEs, my first reaction was

Aug 2, 2016, 9:07 AM

that, for guys who are freshmen and sophomores, we are already in the 260-270 range, which is as big as we have been, and bigger when you include Vic Beasley. Plus, our overall athleticism is greater.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2016, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Could we build a 3-4 defense around Big Dex? ]

They would be perceived as undersized for 3-4 DE's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

So, we only have one potential 3-4 DE on the roster?***

Aug 2, 2016, 9:13 AM

Re: So, we only have one potential 3-4 DE on the roster?***

Aug 2, 2016, 10:30 AM

Wilkins, Watkins, Huggins, Pagano are all perfect sized, potential 3-4 DEs.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

way to deep at DT to not to run a 4-3***

Aug 1, 2016, 10:08 PM

Re: way to deep at DT to not to run a 4-3***

Aug 1, 2016, 11:00 PM

Agreed. But I do think the coaches are down playing how much they will slide Wilkins out to DE. With so much depth at DT, but the big hint to me was Wilkins dropping weight to right at 300 lbs. and moves like he is 270. Especially times when goal line D or 3rd and 4th down and short.

Aug 2, 2016, 9:18 AM

I actually disagree. I'd be surprised if he played more than 10% of his snaps at defensive end. Maybe short yardage run situations, primarily so that he can seal that edge. But I'd be shocked if he was playing outside on 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 12. The rotation of Bryant, Yeargin, Ferrell, and hopefully Kelly will be very solid, in my opinion. I don't think Wilkins will need to play end all that much.

At the same time, Wilkins dropped about 15 lbs this offseason to get leaner, so you may be correct, who knows.

Aug 2, 2016, 10:22 AM

I agree it will only be on later downs and short yardages. And I truly hope we have an overwhelming amount of guys who just come in and show out this season. I firmly believe that we have had so much success on the DL these past years Bc of our depth rotating so many guys. Keeping fresh legs out there. And we just don't have the depth st DE. You only named 3 yourself and hoping on Kelly. I do too. But DT is so deep. Watkins, Wilkins, Pagano, Lawrence, and Huggins. The coaches have said they are going to put the best 4 out there. And I trust their decisions on who that is. Just can see it being a little more than 10%. Not saying full time but more like 25-30% that's all.

Aug 2, 2016, 1:58 PM

I got you, I agree with your explanation. One thing about all the interior depth is that when you're rotating in Wilkins, Watson, Huggins, Pagano, and Lawrence those guys are going to be fresh. They won't be playing 90 snaps a game, so they will just be gassing those interior offensive linemen.

When you have fresh DTs that also happen to be monsters they're all going to draw double teams and we will hopefully see a lot of one-on-one matchups for our DEs on the outside. I'm hoping it all works as a ripple effect.... Dominant DTs give DEs one-on-one matchups and they are able to get after the QB. They get pressure on the QB which makes our secondary look better because they don't have to chase their man all over the field to lock them down./

Aug 3, 2016, 10:34 AM

Yeah. We completely agree on this. Don't know it for sure yet obviously but I have a lot of confidence in this DL getting a lot of pressure on the QB and stuffing the run. Well I should say front 7. I think having more depth at LB is going to be big for us this season.

Aug 2, 2016, 1:01 PM [ in reply to way to deep at DT to not to run a 4-3*** ]

I think he's asking if we could run a nose 0 technique 2 gap style. In that case you technically would get 3 big bodies. A 0 and 2 very large ends like Christian Wilkins / Albert Huggins who can play a 3 or 4 technique. In this scheme, there's still room for a standup OLB/ rush end who can play a 5 or 7 tech as well.

Venables already does this. It just not our base. You'd have to ask other people that can eval DL whether we have run any 2 gap principles with a 0 or 2 tech player every now and again.

Aug 2, 2016, 1:19 PM

Kelly will be best pass rusher mark my words

Let Coach BV run the D.

Aug 1, 2016, 10:17 PM

His resume is pretty solid.

+1... and we will see some 3-man lines on occasion...***

Aug 1, 2016, 10:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2016, 10:36 PM

I'm not a fan of the 3-4 in the college game. It's way more complicated

BV already runs 3-4 at times

Aug 1, 2016, 11:05 PM

it's just not the base defense.

Yes sir, on a lot of sure passing downs, then he'll bring

Aug 2, 2016, 6:53 AM

a blitzer from a LB or safety or both! BV is an awesome DC, another great Dabo hire!!

We use a 0/1 technique often

Aug 2, 2016, 7:27 AM

4/3 under/over - don't need a 3-4 to use a NT.

Re: We use a 0/1 technique often

Aug 3, 2016, 10:02 AM

bingo

No.

Aug 2, 2016, 10:51 AM

The interior of the D Line has probably been the strongest and most dominant in CFB over the last two seasons, I expect this year is no different. Our major concern on D last year was LB coverage, which I fully expect improvement on this season.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic