Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
All this ACC adding PSU stuff ignores one very big problem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

All this ACC adding PSU stuff ignores one very big problem

Jun 12, 2012, 9:05 AM

Penn State has signed a grant of rights agreement with the Big Ten for 20 or 25 years. They will not go anywhere.

The Big Ten owns their media rights to all home contests now- even if they leave. Due to that you'd get more value out of adding Louisville.

ND is extremely unlikely. I don't see any language in any playoff format where they would be forced out of indy. Conf champs only would in all likelihood have a provision for them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah Penn St and ND

Jun 12, 2012, 9:08 AM

are you coming here....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how apropos.... academics at the core of the conference.***

Jun 12, 2012, 9:38 AM

Probably true. I like PItt and Syracuse though for football

Jun 12, 2012, 9:12 AM

and basketball.

Some people need to get past this southern heritage crap. The war is over.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Probably true. I like PItt and Syracuse though for football

Jun 12, 2012, 9:17 AM

the problem is pitt and syracuse don't do anything for the ACC's football product.

The correct answer was Pitt and WV

Jun 12, 2012, 9:38 AM

bring in a pre-packaged big rivalry and WV much better then Syracuse in fball.

Oh well, we blew it!

'cuse has as much potential in football as WVU.***

Jun 12, 2012, 9:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cuse is a dead program.***

Jun 12, 2012, 9:53 AM

2011; 'Cuse 49 WVU 23.***

Jun 12, 2012, 10:24 AM

Re: 2011; 'Cuse 49 WVU 23.***

Jun 12, 2012, 10:25 AM

nc st beat us bad are they a better program

Our game with State should be very interesting this year.

Jun 12, 2012, 11:02 AM

I sure hope they aren't better in November. I do think they have a very good coach and will be handful this year.

Re: 'cuse has as much potential in football as WVU.***

Jun 12, 2012, 9:55 AM [ in reply to 'cuse has as much potential in football as WVU.*** ]

Not sure I can agree with that

"Some people need to get past this southern heritage crap"

Jun 12, 2012, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Probably true. I like PItt and Syracuse though for football ]

LOL, I just spewed coffee all over my monitor. You do know in which state Clemson is located, right? ;)

Alabama? NC? Seriously, though you don't

Jun 12, 2012, 9:43 AM

hear Pitt, 'Cuse, and BC complaining about having southern teams in their conference.

I grew up in the heart of Dixie and love that I'm southern but one must keepm it in perspective.

I haven't seen people complain that the teams aren't

Jun 12, 2012, 9:49 AM

"southern." I have only seen that they don't add to the football prestige. I know both have some historical relevance, but neither has done much recently, and like BC, I don't know that they have much of a football following.

I don't think this is a north/south thing. Heck, people are talking about ND and PSU, both schools from yankee states. I don't see that north/south has anything to do with it. But, I don't follow threads that much either. Maybe there has been a "southern schools only" push. I just have not seen it.

Re: Alabama? NC? Seriously, though you don't

Jun 12, 2012, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Alabama? NC? Seriously, though you don't ]

Oh, I agree with you, and I'm a proud southern boy too. But there just tends to be a tad more intensity in the "southern heritage" department in the Palmetto State, I think (and I've been all over the south).

Jun 12, 2012, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Alabama? NC? Seriously, though you don't ]

I dont think it has anything to do with them being from up north ...probably more to the fact that syracuse and bc are hot garbage

BC has pretty much broken even with us since they joined.***

Jun 12, 2012, 10:22 AM

Re: BC has pretty much broken even with us since they joined.***

Jun 12, 2012, 10:28 AM

Yea and we have not been good ourselves...really has more to do with us than them

Had a lot to do with BC. They won the division twice and won

Jun 12, 2012, 11:27 AM

8 straight bowls from 99-07. BC had Matt Ryan, BJ Raji, several first round OL draft picks, the LB from last year...some awfully good players.

Jun 12, 2012, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Alabama? NC? Seriously, though you don't ]

Deep down yes I wish we could have the opportunity to only make this a southern conference but we dont have that luxury...Im ok with pitt but bc and syracuse dont pack any punch when it comes to football and a loyal large fan base

Agree...

Jun 12, 2012, 10:04 AM

I thought Pitt was not a bad addition, but I'm old enough to remember when they were a great program and spanked us in the Gator Bowl. It would be great if BC could actually generate some excitement in their home town, but it just doesn't ever seem to happen. Syracuse has great tradition, but is a long way from where they were (although most of us can remember the Donovan Mcnabb beatdown that we took...).

Re: Agree...

Jun 12, 2012, 10:11 AM

yup I remember that beat down in the gator bowl....Pitt could be really good if the right person is in charge and I think theyve hired a darn good coach for their head man...People in pittsburgh...would support them, if they produce

Jun 12, 2012, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Alabama? NC? Seriously, though you don't ]

it has less to do with them not being southern and more to do with them being complete garbage when it comes to the main money maker... Football

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sorry--but it is about southern football culture

Jun 12, 2012, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Probably true. I like PItt and Syracuse though for football ]

Will they bring 10,000 fans to DV like teams do in the South?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BTW: Clemson is a Southern school in a rural Southern

Jun 12, 2012, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Probably true. I like PItt and Syracuse though for football ]

state. Our roots are in agriculture.

We love football and always have-not basketball like in NC.

We are not an elitist institution like the old wine and cheese schools to the north.

And I like that way.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pittsburgh, wine and cheese town? Many Clemson

Jun 12, 2012, 11:05 AM

fans love basketball. I think we're elites to a certain extent. I do know that I and tens of thousands of others like to one-up USC fans because we are better academically overall.

Never***

Jun 12, 2012, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Probably true. I like PItt and Syracuse though for football ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yankee alert.***

Jun 12, 2012, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Probably true. I like PItt and Syracuse though for football ]

LOL***

Jun 12, 2012, 12:06 PM

Re: All this ACC adding PSU stuff ignores one very big problem

Jun 12, 2012, 9:17 AM

You are very right about the PSU thing, but all contracts can be renegotiate and are full of loopholes. Money talks and although it may cost an unreasonable amount to get their rights back it is possible. Do I expect it? No, but in a world driven by money anything can happen for the right price.

The biggest thing standing in the way of ND joining a conferences is their desire to continue with their traditional rivals. The ACCs 9 game conference schedule makes this more difficult. Right now I believe ND is worried about 3 main rivals (USC, MSU, and Navy) I would not be surprised to see the ACC look to Navy to fill the 16th slot and solve one scheduling issue.

null

Could they pay their way out? Yeah. Would it be worth it? No

Jun 12, 2012, 9:20 AM

Their rights are so valuable you'd need 400 million (20m X 20) as a starting negotiation point to buy them back. Good luck keeping it that low if the B1G isn't compliant.

It is far beyond prohibitive.

Jun 12, 2012, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Re: All this ACC adding PSU stuff ignores one very big problem ]

Also consider that by leaving the Big Ten, PSU would lose their share of the C-I-C distributions which I believe last year was worth $500 billion (yes...billion) in research grants to each university. That dwarfs the monetary rights for athletics of ANY conference.

PSU administration is not going to give that up.

Your Character is what you do when no one is watching.

Jun 12, 2012, 9:28 AM

wow what would we ever do without all you coots on a tiger website to keep us straight.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2012, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Re: All this ACC adding PSU stuff ignores one very big problem ]

theygot 500 billion for research grants? Not saying this isnt true but that seems like a ridculous amount...especially with our nations defict being so large

Jun 12, 2012, 9:36 AM

Actually, he said it is $500 billion to each univerity. So for the BIG 10, that is what $5 - $6 trillion dollars. I don't think the numbers the Chicken fan is using are very accurate.

Jun 12, 2012, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: All this ACC adding PSU stuff ignores one very big problem ]

Sorry that was over 10 years. They distributed over $7.1 billion last year to member institutions.

Still, that dwarfs any TV contracts for any conference for athletics.

Your Character is what you do when no one is watching.

Jun 12, 2012, 9:54 AM

LOL...I was gonna say 500 billion a year would be outrageous

Jun 12, 2012, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Re: All this ACC adding PSU stuff ignores one very big problem ]

$500b is probably their combined endowments. either way, the C-I-C research is what they bring to the table.... like Clemson & Carolina have millions in research annually. what the C-I-C does is allow for Big 10 collaboration to help them win grants together. i.e. C-I-C applies on behalf of member institutions that have expertise in different areas. btw, the Univ. of Chicago is still part of the C-I-C.

This is the reason why university presidents.....

Jun 12, 2012, 10:00 AM

like to harp on the academic stature of an athletic conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Point For U, IF ND comes, #16 team will be their choice.***

Jun 12, 2012, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Re: All this ACC adding PSU stuff ignores one very big problem ]

Jun 12, 2012, 10:32 AM

I agree. I see ND unlikely but possible.. I really dont see anything yet that makes me thing Penn St would consider the ACC. Especially with numbers coming out like "13 mil a year" for the tv contract. Not good. I dont care if it does balloon and average out to 17 mil a year way down the road. The SEC, Big Ten and Big XII will be to 30 mil by then.

Jun 12, 2012, 10:54 AM

"they say" if a team like ND were to join, the whole contract would be renegotiated anyway. That is why I believe our leaders in the ACC are so hyper on getting ND to join. THAT would be awesome to get Penn St and ND in.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic