Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Could the Feaster situation have been handled better?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Could the Feaster situation have been handled better?

Nov 16, 2016, 12:42 PM

I don't know the answer, so I'm asking.

It seems to me that his first year (of only three) was pretty much wasted. Tony's explanation is that "I'm not going to depend on a freshman running back to protect a Heisman trophy candidate". Well, fair enough, but the old #28 learned to block and played his entire freshman year.

So..
#1 - were we just unlucky timing wise, and due to the logjam in front of him, Dabo decided the seniority of Choice, Dye, Fuller, etc had to be respected?
#2 - or is new #28 just not as good as old #28? - can you imagine sitting old #28 for an entire year of eligibility?

No question the running game has failed to deliver this season. Yes, we're 9-1 so it is a bit of a moot point... but with the gauntlet we have to go through now... seems like it would be nice to have by now developed a Thunder and Lightning combination like we had with Davis and old #28.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you have watched him on the punt return team....

Nov 16, 2016, 12:46 PM

Coach Elliott is right, Feaster's blocking needs to improve significantly, something he probably wasn't required to do very often, if at all, in high school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

It's a big adjustment from high school to ...........

Nov 16, 2016, 1:04 PM

a Top 4 program - he's still learning. We should stop assuming that just because a kid is a star in high school that he's immediately going to come in and be a star his freshman year in college. He's got to learn our complete system - then he'll be ready/able to shine.

Think about it - when I started at Clemson in 1973 freshmen couldn't even play varsity football - had to play on the freshman team against other schools' freshmen teams. You started varsity football your sophomore year and then played three years.

I have to say you may be misremembering the old #28 freshman

Nov 16, 2016, 1:07 PM

season a little.

We ran the ball 80% of the time so he did get a lot more opportunity but he struggled a lot in pass pro and was mostly used as a receiver and not blocker in that season

Remember that run at the goal line against BC? He never

Nov 16, 2016, 3:02 PM

made a move toward the goal line.

Re: Could the Feaster situation have been handled better?

Nov 16, 2016, 1:08 PM

brilliant

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Thank you.

Nov 16, 2016, 2:13 PM

And your answer was you don't have an answer.

Re: Thank you.

Nov 16, 2016, 2:52 PM

wasn't a compliment

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

They gave him some opportunity early on with special teams

Nov 16, 2016, 1:17 PM

and frankly..he didn't earn more playing time. He didn't show much. Why would you just stick him out there if he's running tentatively when we need electricity and production. As a freshman you have show the coaches that they are losing an advantage if/when you're not on the field. Good example is REnfrow. no one expected anything they gave him chances and he showed that he's as good as anyone on that team. You got to prove you belong. they gave him a good shot early on but you can't tell me he played better than fuller or choice who have proven ball security.

Had we blew more people out his workload would've increased but its been a tight game type season this year. And no one is going to unseat Gallman unless they are just lights out.

Could it have been handled much worse?***

Nov 16, 2016, 1:19 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when you have oline that can't run block it doesn't matter..

Nov 16, 2016, 1:22 PM

who you have in. Feaster's speed isn't going to prevent an unblocked defensive player from getting contact right when the ball is handed off to him. Just can't run block good enough to get him enough touches.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2016, 1:25 PM

Good gravy, not another "Feaster should be playing thread". Guys - have a little faith in the coaching staff as they are pros at what they do - not a bunch of armchair experts on a sports board.

Feaster will be a great running back once he adjusts to the college game but he is not there yet. If Feaster was ready he would be playing so please let this dead horse die.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2016, 2:28 PM

I'm sorry but after gallman all the other backs are average. You can spin it anyway you want but they are. Feaster is far and away a better runner. So what if he has had a slow start he still looks a lot better than the others. Our coaches are great but they still make mistakes and this is one of them. He might not be the best blocker but he has done fine with his opportunity. The kid needs to be playing and every game he isn't just shows stubbornness by the coaches. If you think choice or fuller is better you are blind. I'm sorry but you are

You have no idea what you are talking about. The coaches

Nov 16, 2016, 4:35 PM

see these guys every day in practice and have given Feaster enough reps to get an idea if he plays better on Saturdays than the other days of the week. I think he is going to be a great back for us, but it is going to require patience and allowing Tavien to mature on the football field.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2016, 4:04 PM

With no running game at all I don't see why on running downs he doesn't get more touches.
Most of DWs throws are on a run option and he is moving around.
So I don't see where blocking is that big of an issue either.

Nov 16, 2016, 4:20 PM

Still a lot of football left to be played this year

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think there would have to a situation first before we talk

Nov 16, 2016, 4:22 PM

about it being mishandled. Why would a true freshman come in to a program as deep as ours and expect to play more than he already has. Why don't we just trust the coaches in that maybe Feaster wasn't ready to handle the load that we all seem to think he's due based on Spartanburg High School highlight videos.

Nov 16, 2016, 4:50 PM

Why would you view it as wasted ? He has played a little , but more importantly he has learned to do the little things that he will need to be a complete college teammate and player on the next level .
He will be a fantastic player at Clemson , just needed a little seasoning after moving up a notch in competition.

DB23

if he's a pro talent redshirting is a waste

Nov 16, 2016, 10:47 PM

say we redshirted him and he has 2 good years afterwards, he's gone in 3 anyway. might as well play him when we can this year and if he can help, great. if not, at least he's got some experience with game speed going into next year.

I think more factors into his lack of pt this year as well besides just pass pro. coming off of shoulder surgery is probably a factor and I'm sure it was anticipated that there would be a few more blowouts earlier this year where he could've gotten a little more mop up duty

could the 2nd-guessing crap get any deeper

Nov 16, 2016, 10:58 PM

for a team that is 23-2

the last 2 years???

really; we want to act like we're smarter than they are?

lol

Could easily be four years now***

Nov 16, 2016, 11:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic