Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gotta buy a #### washing machine
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 490

Gotta buy a #### washing machine

Nov 25, 2018, 10:30 PM

going ahead and getting a washer/dryer set. What do y'all have/recommend and love/hate about 'em? Stupid ### lunge answers appreciated. This will be a LDR set. Not skimping here.

GO!

FER yer TIME

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I font even remember when i bought the

Nov 25, 2018, 10:38 PM

Samsung set i have now. Maybe 2007? I dunno.. 6 moves and they are still getting it done.

Would buy samsung again in a minute.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

make sure it has wifi

Nov 25, 2018, 10:40 PM

just trust me on it. It's like heated seats in your car. You never thought you cared about having something like that until the first time you got it. We went the samsung route. No regrets 2 years later.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Consumer reports

Nov 26, 2018, 6:30 AM

has 4 LG W/D pairs rated right above Samsung.

get the best price and go with LG or Samsung, imo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m waiting on a new Lupita

Nov 26, 2018, 6:58 AM

But she’s currently being held up at the boarder. I’m probably gonna have to pay the extra to fly her up to Canada and try to get her in that way. Worth it though because she does the dishes too.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bought a Samsung 6 months ago. #pleased *****

Nov 26, 2018, 7:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Costco and top loaders

Nov 26, 2018, 8:05 AM

are my two LPTs for this...just had to buy a new set.

we went with a GE based on reviews and friends having the same set. so far so good (bout 2 weeks).

the delivery/pick up from Costco with the warranty ended up being cheaper than the Home Depot or Lowe's black friday deals.

both my mom and MIL trash the front loaders b/c they smell like #### and are hard to keep clean, so i took that and ran with it fwiw.

hth

Just leave the washer door open after it is done, really

Nov 26, 2018, 11:15 AM

not hard to keep them clean, lol.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

last washer I bought, I recoiled against the madness of

Nov 26, 2018, 9:08 AM

the LDR washers out there. I generally buy pretty good quality, higher end stuff because I think it's a better value over time, but Mrs No suggested we get a more modest washer. This was a few yrs ago when the smell issue was rampant with front loaders. So we got a UDP moderately nice top-loader Whirlpool, and it's worked out great for the last few years. And our dryer is on our 3rd washer, it's a Whirlpool also and kicking along just fine. Mrs No loves the fold-down door that you can stack yo laundry on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've got a set of 2004 LG frontloaders on pedestals.

Nov 26, 2018, 9:21 AM

Dew recommend the pedestals. Just replaced the thermostat on the dryer and it's still going strong. I've replaced the pump on the washer, but other than that all good.

There's also a sanitize setting that superheats the water and an antibacterial setting on the dryer for when your kids #### on you.

I wished they made a simple, uncomplicated

Nov 26, 2018, 10:54 AM

non-computerized washer nowadays, like they used to. These today that spend 15 minutes "sensing" the makeup of your laundry load and have 25 different settings are complete and utter bullcrap. Inverter technology. Optimal detergent mixing. Water-saving sensors. I don't want or need all these "gentle cycles" and heavy/light crap. 99% of the time we're washing fricking t-shirts, drawers and socks. Putting a circuit board in a washing machine is abject lunacy.

Wash-Rinse-Spin. That's all I need. EVER. One button - START/STOP.

This is about as close to 1975 as you can get

Nov 26, 2018, 11:01 AM

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Roper-3-5-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Top-Load-Washer-with-Agitator-White/1000074111

The question is, will Lowes actually have it in the store

Nov 26, 2018, 11:03 AM

the day you need it? I played hail walking into the store and buying a refrigerator. Had to shop 4 or 5 spots to find one that had what I wanted in the store.

Thank god I was moving and didn't absolutely need it, or didn't have $300 worth of groceries to keep cold. I hate these new distribution models.

They probably do keep some of the lower priced stuff

Nov 26, 2018, 11:09 AM

in the store. I imagine they can turn that inventory pretty quick.

I had a hand-me-down washer when I got out of school

Nov 26, 2018, 11:21 AM [ in reply to This is about as close to 1975 as you can get ]

it was probably 15 years old when I "inherited it" from my deceased grandparents. I used the hell out of it for probably 15 more years, never had an ounce of problems until it finally gave up the ghost.

So I splurged for one of those fancy computerized top-of-the-line front load models. It lasted about 3 years., numerous problems, even flooded my washroom once. I pulled back and got a top load, mid-price brand. Have had it for a few years and have to fix something on it about every year. Fortunately I am competent enough to order my own parts and do my own repairwork. Most folks would have thrown that one away by now, but I press on with it.

I just miss the simple stuff of the past, appliances that were built well and lasted forever. My parents had the same appliances (washer, stove, fridge, etc) from the time they got married in the 60's until they retired in the 90's. It's so ironic that our present generation stresses recycling, environmental conservation, etc WAY MORE than our forefathers, to the point where it's almost criminal to use a plastic grocery bag.......yet we LOVE our throwaway society when it comes to household appliances, TVs, etc.

Make shiet cheap (but pricey), unfixable, and disposable at first failure. That's the mindset.

And BINGO was his name-o.***

Nov 26, 2018, 11:05 AM [ in reply to I wished they made a simple, uncomplicated ]

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yay curmudgeon! :)

Nov 26, 2018, 11:16 AM [ in reply to I wished they made a simple, uncomplicated ]

You are a man and don't use the gentle delicate cycles, but the rest are pretty great at saving both power and water.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yay saving a few gallons of water and a dollar on power

Nov 26, 2018, 11:26 AM

but filling up landfills with millions of appliances that don't last 5 years.

More parts, more problems. It's not a hard concept to understand.

Nice double exaggeration. It's about $140/yr in savings.

Nov 26, 2018, 11:54 AM

Even if it failed every 5 years (it doesn't), still worth it.

speaking of exaggeration...$140?

Nov 26, 2018, 1:16 PM

I do 2, maybe 3 loads of clothes a week, so that's 150 loads a year. I know people with 5 little kids do way more, but that's not the point.

I have never, not once, ever used hot water in my washing machine. That's where your $$ in power usage is. Always cold, like my mom taught me. Hot water not even hooked up. Diapers and surgical wear are about the only things that need to be washed in hot water. According to chart I found below, it cost me 4 cents in power to do a load of laundry. 150 loads x $.04 = $6. Even a load PER DAY (365) = $15. Saving $140/year ain't possible.

Price per load (electricity), based on water temperature
Wash/Rinse Setting

Electrical Use
kWh/load
Cost per load
Cost per year

Hot / Warm
4.5 kWh
68¢
$265

Warm / Warm
3.5 kWh
53¢
$206

Hot / Cold
2.8 kWh
42¢
$165

Warm / Cold
1.9 kWh
29¢
$112

Cold / Cold
0.3 kWh

$16

https://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/laundry.html
https://www.geappliances.com/ge/lifestyles/6-reasons-to-cold-water-wash.htm

You're pulling modern numbers compared to 20+ year old

Nov 26, 2018, 1:50 PM

washing machine, which is what I was talking about. 25 year old top loading washing machine vs modern day front loading washing machine.

true...but

Nov 26, 2018, 2:04 PM

the quote from one the articles is "Inefficient washers. Non-Energy Star top-loaders use ridiculous amounts of water and energy. Front-loaders and Energy Star-rated top loaders use about 3/4 less energy and water than those made around 1992. "

so if older washers were 4x more "wasteful", that changes the $.04/load to $.16/load power consumption. That changes the $10/yr to $40/yr. Small, small potatoes ($3/month?).

The bottom line is.....the overwhelming cost of washing clothes is in your hot water heater, not your washing machine. That's what most folks don't grasp.

You keep talking power only, water is a huge factor

Nov 26, 2018, 2:09 PM

And you're comparing mostly anecdotally to your minimal usage. If I wanted to go by my usage, I run the washing machine 3-4 times a week just for myself, and use a steam cycle to get my gross sweat off my clothes.

Got LG front load some yrs back...

Nov 26, 2018, 11:30 AM

it washes and all of that just fine, but the gasket has huge mildew issues. Changed it once already and it has come back. Apparently you have to dry it directly after each load to keep it from mildewing...and no way that is going to happen. Also had a solenoid/valve develop a leak last year, but I repaired it/replaced the part myself.

I think I would go with a top load if I had it to do over.

The newer front end loaders have worked on that issue a bit

Nov 26, 2018, 12:05 PM

But the best option is to always leave the door open. My new LG even has a magnetic post that will keep the door ajar a couple inches to keep the gasket exposed, which is neat.

Mine does that too (magnetic hold)....

Nov 26, 2018, 12:16 PM

and we always leave the door open and still have issues.

Is your laundry room pretty stagnant or humid?

Nov 26, 2018, 12:17 PM

Maybe putting a dehumidifier in the laundry room would help, not sure.

Nope...

Nov 26, 2018, 12:18 PM

the damage is pretty much done now, but when it happened, no wasn't overly humid.

I've got a @2007 model Samsungs front loaders

Nov 26, 2018, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Got LG front load some yrs back... ]

and have never had an issue with any smells.

I broke my 2009 Samsung front loader because of

Nov 26, 2018, 2:10 PM

consistently using too much detergent...which has now been corrected.

yeah, apparently even with the HE stuff, you're not supposed

Nov 26, 2018, 4:36 PM

to use much at all.

recent repair dude told me that we were using too much

Nov 26, 2018, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Got LG front load some yrs back... ]

detergent (as mentioned somewhere above) and that that was contributing to the mildew. We tend to do larger loads (lol) so would fill the cap up to the 2nd line. He said you'd never need to go over first line, and usually not even that much

Also, we had had Whirlpool Duets from 2008. There was also a design flaw w/ that gasket, or something. We got new whirlpools in May - I guess we'll see in time if the gasket + less soap = any mildew...

What ever you do make sure the dryer has an easily

Nov 26, 2018, 1:05 PM

accessible lint trap.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Go Electrolux front loader.***

Nov 26, 2018, 2:11 PM

Re: Gotta buy a #### washing machine

Nov 26, 2018, 4:51 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. We’re going with some top loader from Lowe’s. It’s a whirlpool with all the bells and whistles.

I wanted a speed queen , but don’t have time to wait or want to go BSR. (Box seat rich)

Point party later!

THIS IS TNET

Nov 26, 2018, 11:17 PM

Asks for experience with washing machines, 4 or so recs for a Samsung, about the same for an LG

Whats he buy? A whirpool.

Obed will love this.

I'm married. While I appreciate the recommendations

Nov 27, 2018, 8:45 AM

and associated pissing contests, I ultimately said "screw it. Get what you want". I'm now armed with all the info I need to blame any future problems on a decision that wasn't mine. Or something like that.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqyuPEyRl68i6yot3RMNEitZ3s97e9Ec3Yv7SC06fd-gHc6Qk0

I get that mindset, which leads to the question....

Nov 27, 2018, 8:54 AM

WHY WASTE EVERYONE'S EFFING TIME WITH AN ADVICE REQUEST THAT YOU DON'T REALLY WANT OR INTEND TO USE????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I get that mindset, which leads to the question....

Nov 27, 2018, 8:58 AM

This is the lunge. Ya gotta waste time doing something. But I did intend to use it and I really wanted it. The top loader suggestions were well received.

Get a top loader. Not that side loader ####.

Nov 26, 2018, 5:34 PM

Have a Samsung that washes 8 loads a week. BIG loads. Never had a problem with it except the environmental crap that makes it not clean if you stuff the load.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Get a top loader. Not that side loader ####.

Nov 26, 2018, 10:57 PM

I did. Thanks. It’s washing (I hope) as we speak. That’s a ton of Jeep parts right there that I ain’t buying! Lol

Replies: 40
| visibility 490
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic