Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Strategy for the Next Clemson Basketball Coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Strategy for the Next Clemson Basketball Coach

Jan 4, 2015, 5:15 PM

For much of the past few decades, the Gamecock strategy has been to hire big name coaches with accomplishments at other schools. We Clemson fans like to throw snide remarks when some of them never pan out for South Carolina. However, let me focus on the wisdom of such a philosophy.

Take SC football. The program had absolutely no history to speak of: no banners, no trophies, and no tradition, despite a fertile recruiting location and nice facilities. Amid decade after decade of futility, the athletic administration has generally employed an approach to hire well known coaches who had boasted great feats elsewhere like Paul Dietzel, Lou Holtz, and Steve Spurrier. How else could one sell such a miserable program? Dietzel gave the Gamecocks their only conference title, Holtz brought hype and national attention, and Spurrier achieved an SEC East crown and three consecutive 11-win seasons.

This strategy has spilled over to South Carolina basketball as well (Frank McGuire, Eddie Fogler, Dave Odom, Frank Martin, Dawn Staley). Notice that McGuire, Fogler, and, especially, Staley have made some national noise for the hoops program.

I know that the Clemson athletic administration generally hires relatively unknown, up-and-coming coaches like Danny Ford, Dabo Swinney, Larry Shyatt, Oliver Purnell, Brad Brownell, and Audra Smith. However, I think it is high time for Clemson basketball, a program as historically futile as Gamecock football, to use a different strategy. Indeed, we have tried selling our conference to attract recruits. We have tried re-building our arena to lure top talent. Nevertheless, how else can we sell Clemson basketball? On tradition? On our almost empty trophy case? On our banners?

A huge name would go a long way for Tiger basketball. If Brad Brownell fails to pan out, our next head coach needs to be such a person. Perhaps we should look at recently fired Ben Howland of UCLA and Pitt fame. He rebuilt Pitt basketball, sent UCLA to three consecutive Final Fours, and recruited NBA superstars like Kevin Love and Russell Westbrook. Imagine such selling points to future recruits!

Other choices could be Paul Hewitt (who will reel in five-star talent), Tim Floyd (a little risky but recruits lights out and has NBA experience), George Karl (significant NBA experience), or maybe Bruce Pearl. I know that some of these names may make you cringe, but look how Steve Lavin and Larry Brown are making some noise at St. John's and SMU, respectively.

Is it not worth a try?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correction: For most of the past few decades,....

Jan 4, 2015, 5:18 PM

nm

agree,how do you get rid of BB with that contract***

Jan 4, 2015, 5:21 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Strategy for the Next Clemson Basketball Coach

Jan 4, 2015, 5:41 PM

Good post and I agree with you.

Re: Strategy for the Next Clemson Basketball Coach

Jan 4, 2015, 5:52 PM

Is it not worth a try?
Get back to me in three seasons when Brad's buyout is more afforable.

Indeed! Horribly Unnecessary Decision by Dan Radacovich!

Jan 4, 2015, 5:57 PM

nm

you make some good points there.

Jan 4, 2015, 5:56 PM

I agree that we need something different with basketball.

SCar football still has no trophies with that strategy

Jan 4, 2015, 5:59 PM

though. Spurrier sounds a lot like our Purnell - lots of wins and promise, a championship appearance, but nothing substantial to hang in the case. Even McGuire's teams sputtered down the stretch.

We're getting some major upgrades in facilities which will turn a bunch more kids on to the campus and the program. That alone will help us upgrade the talent level a good bit. Kids are fickle and new hotness goes a long way these days.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In general, top recruits want 2 things:

Jan 4, 2015, 7:31 PM

1. A chance to get significant PT right away. That should be no problem at Clemson.
2. To play for a program that is serious about big-time basketball and can compete on a national level and win big. This requires 2 things: (A) Either a long, storied tradition of winning big, or top notch facilities (we may be getting that), AND (B) a coach that recruits, for one reason or another, believe can get them there; a coach that recruits believe in and be inspired by. We may or may not have that coach at Clemson in Brownell.

I don't think we are anywhere close to getting the top 20 type recruits, most of whom will be one-and-done; personally, I don't think we want those guys anyway. Nor are we going to start reeling in nothing but 5 and 4-star, top 150 guys either; but we should expect to get 2-3 of that next tier every couple of years so that we always have 3-4 on the roster.

This is all doable at Clemson. Currently, we are massively underachieving.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic